• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What happened to that transsexual thread

What happened to that transsexual thread?

Pages: 12
Curious. Did it get reported? I don't think I ever saw a whole thread get removed.
Probably for the best. There were two ways that thread was going -> Downhill fast or flamewar.
its happened before (the one that DTSCode quit on). do we really need to talk about that here though?

edit: thats not meant to condescending (especially to veterans like you) but im just thinking of the sites credability
Last edited on
Is this a recent thread or when Michelle ellise (or whatever her name was) linked to her blog?
Last edited on
It was deleted for being inappropriate.
LBT wrote:

edit: thats not meant to condescending (especially to veterans like you) but im just thinking of the sites credability

Weren't you the one that replied last before it got deleted saying "No one is forcing them to read it" when I pointed out it wasn't appropriate for the younger members of the site?

That sort of talk isn't appropriate for the younger members of this site. Yes it also takes away from the professionalism of this site. Twicker would have to do an age restriction of 18+ if he was to allow that sort of talk. My general rule is, if the topic isn't something you would talk about around your family members 13-17 or stranger's kids then it isn't a topic that should be discussed here.
Last edited on
Twicker would have to do an age restriction of 18+ if he was to allow that sort of talk. My general rule is, if the topic isn't something you would talk about around your family members 13-17 or stranger's kids then it isn't a topic that should be discussed here.
Its a topic that probably should be discussed with 13-17 year olds. I dont think there is a minimum age requirement to teach understanding and tolerance.
Its a topic that probably should be discussed with 13-17 year olds. I dont think there is a minimum age requirement to teach understanding and tolerance.

This.

Besides that... the idea that we shouldn't expose kids to topics related to sexuality until they're 18 is a little crazy... since most kids are sexually active before then.
naraku9333 wrote:

This is a programming site. They are not our children and it is not our job to teach them understanding and tolerance, but it is our job to make sure the content of this site stays appropriate and professional.

Disch wrote:
Besides that... the idea that we shouldn't expose kids to topics related to sexuality until they're 18 is a little crazy... since most kids are sexually active before then.

Doing it before that and a parent finding out can give them grounds to take legal action against Twicker, this site, and its members since there is no age restriction. It is common courtesy to keep topics appropriate when younger members are on the site. You want to discuss it then, to protect the site and everyone involved, it would require an 18+ age restriction.

Also, it isn't the 'idea' that we shouldn't, it is the fact that we as a programming community shouldn't expose them to sexuality because we aren't their parents. This site is a platform to help programmers and beginners, not to talk about the birds and bees nor understanding and tolerance. You want to do that, then join an Oprah or Dr. Phil website.
Last edited on
This is a programming site. They are not our children and it is not our job to teach them understanding and tolerance, but it is our job to make sure the content of this site stays appropriate and professional.

I guess this comes back to the age old debate of "what is appropriate for the lounge". We've gone back and forth about this before... so it doesn't make sense to get into it again.

Doing it before that and a parent finding out can give them grounds to take legal action against Twicker, this site, and its members since there is no age restriction.

Point taken. Although I'm curious as to what the actual law is here. But whatever.

I disagree with the last paragraph, but rather than reply to it I'll just concede and withdraw. My topical question was answered.
I'd also like to point out that transsexuality is a very sensitive subject. If mishandled, people could wind up being hurt very badly if someone invalidates that key part of their identity.

That said, I'm generally not for censorship of difficult topics as long as people can be mature about it and accept it if their assumptions turn out to be invalid.

-Albatross
Last edited on
Disch wrote:
Although I'm curious as to what the actual law is here.

Depending on state, parents can bring charges of pedophilia upon those (18+) they catch discussing sexual topics with their children that are under 18 years of age (some states say 16 due to age of consent).

It falls on the parents to teach their children everything. Look at the 90s, parents and media were quick to point the finger at other things when the child became violent. More recently, parents try to blame peer pressure and other things like that as to why kids are having sex at such young ages. Nothing to stop them from blaming a site because their child does something due to a misunderstanding they have on here from reading such a discussion.

It also just adds to the whole unprofessional aspect of the site if you start having sexual discussions in the Lounge.
Last edited on
I wouldn't call talking about sex/sexuality etc. to be sexual discussions. At least not in the colloquial sense. You can talk about sex without being "sexual"
Sure you can talk about it, but it is the parent's interpretation of that talk that you have to worry about. A parent could easily argue that you were talking sexuality in hopes to confuse the teen with the premise of achieving sexual favors later. After all most of the cases where teens disappear with guys they met online, it started out with them just talking to them getting them to trust them before it went sexual.
A parent could easily argue that you were talking sexuality in hopes to confuse the teen with the premise of achieving sexual favors later.

That's a stretch. Yes they could easily argue that... but nobody would buy it... and it certainly wouldn't hold up in any legal case.
Besides, the site admin and several members of this site don't even live in the US. The admin, for example, is French.

-Albatross
bhx wrote:
Weren't you the one that replied last before it got deleted saying "No one is forcing them to read it" when I pointed out it wasn't appropriate for the younger members of the site?
i did, however, i also said we shouldnt be talking about it here (i was the first to respond saying that). my point is that even though i think we shouldnt talk about it, people disagree, and there is no rule on the forum saying we cant (at least none that i could find). so if we dont like that it is being discussed here we dont have to read it
closed account (ypfz3TCk)
Curious. Did it get reported? I don't think I ever saw a whole thread get removed.

I posted that question and I am a bit annoyed that it has been removed. What part of it was inappropriate?
How about we add in Terms Of Use that members should not read topics which is not appropriate for their age?

Or just add 18+ just to the right of v3.1 in the footer? It is not that it will change anything.
MiiNiPaa wrote:

How about we add in Terms Of Use that members should not read topics which is not appropriate for their age?

And you believe people would actually listen to that? People tend to do what they are told they shouldn't do. Like for example: "Don't look back!"...the person looks back.

MiiNiPaa wrote:

Or just add 18+ just to the right of v3.1 in the footer? It is not that it will change anything.

If people were so law/rule following, that would work and also, it'll make the site lose many users as many here are 13 - 17 year olds. And besides, this isn't an adult site anyway (no adult content or such).
Well then users engaging in inappropriate discussions are violating terms of use and we are not responsible for anything what happens to them. I am curious: how can you make age restriction over the internet?

If you afraid that your child can see somethin inappropriate for them, do not let them use internet. Poblem solved. Install some whitelisting program, actually explain things to them instead of thinking that strangers over the net will parent your child instead of you.
Pages: 12