• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Adding videos sections to this beautiful

Adding videos sections to this beautiful website

I was wondering why they or he doesn't add a video-lesson section to this website or the possibility to add some videos-lessons about C++ and more in general about programming to your account, like youtube, but more restricted, in fact, to our great community.

Sometimes you just need to listen a voice to understand it right, instead of always writing and reading without really understand some concepts that can be emphasized while talking.

What do you think?
Last edited on
I think that
1. Video fails to provide two elements which are vital to programming: fast searching, and copy-paste.
2. Someone else's voice is a crutch that needs to be grown out of.
A well-written reference is worth three lifetimes of video.
In the big scheme of things, IMO, the order of importance for learning C++ is:

1) Textbooks or highly recommended books.
2) Site tutorials
3) Trash Can (for all the books you may have bought erroneously)
4) Videos
The problem I have with videos is that people who make them generally will try and explain somthing the way they understand it to be.

For example, I am dabbling in Java right now, and I keep hearing people call their programs "applets", or I hear them say "I made a front end" bla bla bla, which is really just buzz-speech they parrot because they don't know what really goes on when a program is compiled, or have no concept of what a gui is (as opposed to "front-end"), etc...

While there can be good videos made, nothing can replace rigorous study, trial and error (the best way to learn C++), or good ol' fashioned forums.
I am not saying that the best way to learn programming or in general learn something is watching videos, but that the possibility for some people to watch them (first of all for beginners) maybe could be a good thing. Sometimes written tutorials or books introduce things in a complicated way that can be "easily" or more friendly explained listening to some video-lessons.
@IWishIKnew
I take it what they were calling a Java applet was just a stand alone program that didn't run in a browser or have the proper class?

For those who haven't messed with Java:
Java Applets wrote:
A Java applet is a special kind of Java program that a browser enabled with Java technology can download from the internet and run. An applet is typically embedded inside a web page and runs in the context of a browser. An applet must be a subclass of the java.applet.Applet class. The Applet class provides the standard interface between the applet and the browser environment.

tributo wrote:
I am not saying that the best way to learn programming

It is actually the worse way because most people that make the videos usually are beginners and don't grasp enough to make the video actually helpful.
Last edited on
It is actually the worse way because most people that make the videos usually are beginners and don't grasp enough to make the video actually helpful.

I don't think so.
as someone who has used both videos and tutorials, i can say that it is. videos were very difficult to follow because i had to stop pause, do what he did, move the video back if i missed something, wait for it to buffer... tutorials i just scroll up and down.

but that the possibility for some people to watch them (first of all for beginners) maybe could be a good thing.
then why slow down the speed of this site by adding videos for that small number of users? especially when there are plenty to be found on youtube

or have no concept of what a gui is (as opposed to "front-end"), etc...

you are aware that a gui can be a front end right?
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Perhaps a video would be useful if it added something that plain old tutorials didn't already have. The first thing that comes to mind would be animated transformations between dimensionalities. Plain text didn't cut it for me. I had to visually see how the math worked before things clicked. One other thing that I find helpful with videos is navigating a GUI. Actually seeing it done helps much more than "click here, scroll to X, find and hover over Y, triple click Z with your eyes closed and apply the blood of a virgin..."
@Luc Lieber
The videos would need to be C++ or programming related. I don't view GUI navigation as a C++ nor programming issue. Though, do we even have tutorials or articles on this site about animated transformations between dimensionalities or GUI navigation? I only see the videos being helpful if the video was a supplement to the tutorials and articles we already have in order to visually show the concepts in the tutorial or article.

The article section is another section of the site that I had to discuss with the administrator at one point. I won't name the user, but found two or three games in the source code section of Articles where the user claimed it was his code, but it was in fact just code he took from a programming book and passed as his (the sad part was that he didn't even bother changing the code). I brought this to the attention of the admin who has since removed them.

I'm mentioning it because of the fact that those three had been on there for quite a while. I would hope policing the videos would be easier than policing the articles section has been.
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
@BHX - exactly my point. The usefulness of video media in the scope of this site would be severely limited. Also, I think you misunderstood the transformations example. Transformations aren't animated, but rather pure mathematics that transform coordinates, one of the few things that can be clarified with a dynamic visual aid.
I know what transformations are. In college our instructor required us to do matrix transformations by hand so we knew how to do it if the code didn't function as expected. All we had was text that showed the concepts on how to do it.
Last edited on
BHX said:
Java Applets wrote:
A Java applet is a special kind of Java program that a browser enabled with Java technology can download from the internet and run. An applet is typically embedded inside a web page and runs in the context of a browser. An applet must be a subclass of the java.applet.Applet class. The Applet class provides the standard interface between the applet and the browser environment.

Yeah, sorry. I know that they are, in terms of Java, applets, but technically they are bytecode that is interpreted by the Java VM. I don't want to get into details, I'm just pointing out that "applet" is a term that [insert company who made it up] made up to describe the product of the java compiler. I would call it a program, because it is an executable that has been compiled by the code that the programmer wrote.

Tomatoe, tamato, though... That's just one man's opinion.
Last edited on
It's a program in a very specific context, and distinct from a Java program stored in the user's computer. You could also call it a file, or an array of bytes, but are those the relevant characteristics of the object?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.