Site modernization

Pages: 1234
It shows the topics you have posted in so for me there are 80 pages (1584 topics) but I post about 2 per topic. Though, you are right it is annoying trying to find an older topic you posted in even if they are sorted by date.
The main issue for me is that my sense of time for topics is really wacked out and nothing happened when I thought it did.
Last edited on
The website could have better interface/design. I'm not sure what is happening in the back-end the runs the site. Perhaps there's more updates on the back-end than on the front-end.
what do you mean? the interface/design is one of the best ive seen.
Yeah, I really enjoy how simple the forum is. No distracting nonsense like so many other forums have.
they have minimalist ads, clearly defined navigation, the ability to get through the whole site via links. tutorials and a reference. i have yet to see another forum that does that
closed account (j1CpDjzh)
I personally like the design of the site. Yeah, it's kind of old looking, but I feel like if it looked really modern it would be like any other website. It's got a classic feel and I like that.

Tagging people would be great. I don't have a problem with the profiles, because as already stated, nobody really visits them. Plus, if the profiles were more intricate, it'd feel more like Facebook, and that's not really the point of the website.

I don't have my PM open, so I don't have any opinion on it. I'd suggest an instant messaging system to get live help while you're programming, but a chatroom system would defeat the purpose of forums.

I like the idea of starring/tagging a post. It'd make tracking a lot easier. I know you can get email notifications, but I've had issues where I didn't always receive an email.
closed account (10X9216C)
ability to get through the whole site via links

You've just described every website ever built.. Not sure if joke.

they have minimalist ads

Get an adblocker, no advertisements on any website, even video services youtube/twitch.
You've just described every website ever built.. Not sure if joke.

that is most certainly not websites ever built. there are many where i end up on pages that have no way of navigating back.

Get an adblocker, no advertisements on any website, even video services youtube/twitch.

idk why you thought i was having a problem with them... im not going to do that, because its (one of) a given websites source of income. its just nice how c++.com incorporates them without making the site ugly.

I'd suggest an instant messaging system to get live help while you're programming, but a chatroom system would defeat the purpose of forums.

at this point thats pretty much #cplusplus on irc.quakenet.org
that is most certainly not websites ever built. there are many where i end up on pages that have no way of navigating back.

The web browser provides that functionality, if you have any sort of decent mouse, there is a thumb button that let's you navigate back for convenience.

idk why you thought i was having a problem with them... im not going to do that, because its (one of) a given websites source of income. its just nice how c++.com incorporates them without making the site ugly.

So you run ad blocker and disable it for this site. I never look at them or click on them and they just use up space on the screen and bandwidth. Though i'm not sure if the ad blocker stops it that early to prevent downloading. Not sure how ad revenue works if it's by clicks or page views, but in either case it wouldn't really matter. I can't imagine the revenue being that much and the majority of people are too stupid to get an ad blocker anyway.
myesolar: have you ever navigated university websites? Those things are scrapped together by thousands of different contractors and no two pages are alike. Many use weird scripting stuff so the browser's back button is useless.
closed account (j1CpDjzh)
I'm pretty sure ad revenue is based on clicks, but I'm not too sure. Some ads may work differently?
Last edited on
@LB
Yah university sites are pretty bad in general, clicking back usually gets you to some sort of home page though even if it doesn't bring you back to where you actually went. I thought he was more referring to the stuff on the navigation bar though. For example, instead of pressing back on the mouse button after entering a thread, he clicks the "general C++ programming" link on the website to go back.
This site has adds? Oh, now that I look closer I can see them. Thanks for pointing that out, I will probably see them all the times now.
Last edited on
myesolar, you misunderstood everything i said. i have no problems with ads. imo they can just make a site ugly quickly. i was responding to whoever said this sites front end is bad.
myesolar wrote:
For example, instead of pressing back on the mouse button after entering a thread, he clicks the "general C++ programming" link on the website to go back.
Why would you ever use the back button though? Then you have to refresh the page after that.
OH! I want to be able to post screen shots as well. It's annoying have to link back to some image hosting website.
@ResidentBiscuit
Okay, I agree, that would be a nice feature. The question is, which method to use for implementing it. Some sites have it so you have thumbnail views that you click to enlarge. Others have it with thumbnails and upon clicking it you get a window that opens over the thread to view it. The outdated way of making it so they just post the actual size makes for a needlessly huge thread.
Last edited on
Others have it with thumbnails and upon clicking it you get a window that opens over the thread to view it.

This way is what I'd say is ideal.

I say we narrow this thread down to two features.

1) Markdown support
2) Ability to post images
This community is way too immature to allow posting images without having moderators. Not to mention the trolls that this forum attracts.
Pages: 1234