Site modernization

Pages: 1234
That was a concern I had. I'm really not sure how big of a problem it would be, though.
How about a "go up" button at the bottom of the page so you don't have to scroll all the way up on long topics.
There is the 'home' key for that :)
ooh, didn't know about that. lol
htirwin wrote:
This community is way too immature to allow posting images without having moderators. Not to mention the trolls that this forum attracts.

Everyone on the site is a moderator in a sense. We can report any of the immature pics posted by the immature members.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I honestly could care less for the features mentioned, but I definitely think that "spoilers" and "quotes of quotes" should be implemented above anything else.
closed account (10X9216C)
Some sort of [code] tags for multiple files, either having it as tabs or otherwise. Being able to label file names [code=filename.h], if that isn't already possible.

@LB people don't post that often, I'm not sure if chrome/firefox detects a change and refreshes it or not.
Last edited on
In my experience, after responding to a thread and revisiting the thread listing, 90% of the time there has been a change.
closed account (10X9216C)
Then hit f5, or in my case i just hit one of my mouse buttons.
A. Click on the link in the navigation sidebar

B. Click back, then click refresh

I dunno about you, but I would rather only press one button.
Last edited on
So let's revisit some suggestions:

1) Markdown support.
I am 100% in favor of this.

2) Improved PM system.
I am in favor, however if you improve the PM system you might as well improve the entire forum. WYSIWYG is what I think about, quotes-in-quote, and suggestions 3) and 4).

3) Improved profile.
I am in favor. I am thinking about "see all threads/posts" and not "add a photo of yourself".

4) Automatic notification for new posts in the thread you're replying to.
My suggestion, so I am in favor obviously.

5) (Automatically) Saving incomplete posts as drafts.
I am 100% in favor. These could be implemented as invisible posts, but which receive the current time when posted so they end up as the newest. They could also be set to self-delete after a few days.

6) Images/thumbnails in posts.
Personally I am against this. This is a programming forum. Most of the "tech support" we give is expressed in source code, not screenshots. The Lounge would be where this feature would be (ab)used the most, becoming a mini-4chan in the process.

Edit: new one:

7) Comment system for articles.
Currently the main feedback for articles is the stars rating. It would be nice to have a Discussion tab on articles (like on Wikipedia, for instance) where users could comment.
Last edited on
at some point, i think a point system like what so has would be nice. the ability for a veteran member to edit someones post to make it more understandable is nice.
at some point, i think a point system like what so has would be nice. the ability for a veteran member to edit someones post to make it more understandable is nice.

Absolutely not. That doesn't fit this format at all.
I absolutely hate WYSIWYG forum post editors.
Last edited on
LB wrote:
I absolutely hate WYSIWYG forum post editors.

I see no reason why the WYSIWYG editor couldn't be complemented by the "basic editor", and by an option in your profile for the default choice.

cire wrote:
Absolutely not. That doesn't fit this format at all.

I sort of agree, for the reason that I'd never get to be a veteran member due to my re-registering habits!

In all seriousness, the only usefulness I see in veterans being able to edit newbie's posts is the adding of missing code tags. Anything more would border on vandalism or censorship.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I would still like to see a Zero reply list. (that would be a cross forum list of all the threads where no-one has replied yet)
closed account (j1CpDjzh)
I like the list Catfish5 made. I agree with it. I also really like the Zero reply list idea. Comments on threads are A++ in my book (or C++ if we want to get punny).

I don't think there should be pictures, and I don't think there should be an option to edit other people's posts. Even if it is for getting a better understand and starts out with good intentions, it'll probably end in chaos. Just asking the person to expand on their thoughts a little more should do the trick.
Where are we on the topic of meta tags for posts? Honestly that and the Zero Posts option are the only functional improvements that I would be really excited to see, everything else is just "shiny".

It's kind of disappointing when I see a thread that says something like "How do I blah blah blah in Excel" and I know that I have code that is doing something very similar right now through COM+. It was tricky to figure out and I get excited about helping out. But then I click on the link and the user has half of it written in CLi, C# or Boost already. I think this would be a better option then simply adding more boards because it would allow for custom levels of granularity when looking at topics.

IMHO, I vote no on the pictures. It may be useful to see a screen shot of an error once in a while but we would have to weigh that minor addition of functionality against the truly horrific color schemes some people use on their desktops and the likely hood that people would start pasting screenshots of their code because obviously we're all wizards and can compile code just by looking at it.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Pictures...I sometime think that a diagram can help explain things far better than words...but I do like not having the clutter of pictures and other junk.
---==#==---

I would like to be notified if someone puts @Grey Wolf in any post if I am participating or not.
---==#==---
Grey Wolf wrote:
Pictures...I sometime think that a diagram can help explain things far better than words...but I do like not having the clutter of pictures and other junk.

Couldn't something be implemented to where instead of seeing a thumbnail in the thread it is simply a link (ala http://thecorner.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/09/screenshot.jpeg ) and upon clicking the link it opens a box over the page showing it (ala GD.Net) => http://prntscr.com/4873yz (minus captions and nav arrows, just the close button)? That way we avoid the clutter of image spam and mile long threads due to 50+ images posted in one post.

Screenshots are also helpful because we have had several threads announcing a game someone made so they could showcase it some rather than just a download link to a zip with exe. I know some people are weary to download something without knowing what it is so that may help some.
Last edited on
Pages: 1234