• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Thinking of a new facebook privacy setti

Thinking of a new facebook privacy setting called "sociopath", check out my idea...

Pages: 12
So I recently made a post on elite dangerous that the Devon flag would be an awesome decal, my GF saw it on her public feed because it was an open group, me thinking it was open presumed that its only gonna be nerds like me that saw it, she sent me a message that she feels all awkward and cringy.

Well I said that those that dont matter dont mind but I remembered that a lot of people on facebook do matter and mind and those people are

other students
workmates
lecturers
employees

and other things a sociopath may care about.

Its kindo f sad that you do have to care a bit about these things and being yourself is still not the best sself salesmanship.

Why are things cringey anyway, why are these things socially inept?
I've read all 4 of your sentences multiple times and I still don't understand.
I don't even. Devon, your first language is English, right?
A sociopath (aka a psychopath) is someone who views other people as objects, and is characterized among other things by lacking empathy.
I'm not sure what anything you said has to do with sociopathy, unless you're trying to control how many people know about your setting fire to live kittens.
The #1 rule of the internet:

- If you don't want everyone in the world to see it, don't post it.

It's really that simple. If you post anything to facebook that you are hoping someone else won't read, you're being foolish. It doesn't matter what your privacy settings are. Once it's on the net, it's there forever, and people will see it.
+1 Disch: the internet is forever.
The Internet is a fad. Give it a few years and people will move on to the next big thing.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. If not, I highly doubt your statement ;p
Last edited on
yah not sure if you guys would ever fall out with the internet for very long even if everyone else did.

the post was when I was just getting used to ritalin again, took me 3 bloody years to get medication through the system again :/
I have asperger's syndrome... I gave up on pleasing people a long time ago (because that's what this is: you want other people to "like" you so that you have a "reputation" that gets you hired, into groups/clubs, etc...), so I couldn't care less what others think of me.

If you can't be yourself at work (within common sense...), you shouldn't have a job there.
IWishIKnew wrote:
I have asperger's syndrome.

Asperger's is the inability to pick up on nonverbal communication, right?

I'm fascinated by that because I'm like the extreme opposite version of it. I'm extremely sensitive to other people's moods and stuff that's 'unsaid'. I can't imagine what it would be like to be unable to see something that is so obvious to me.

Does it make you uncomfortable to talk about it? Would you mind if I asked you some questions?

I couldn't care less what others think of me.

If that's your mechanism for 'coming to terms' with your reality, I guess that's fine. Though I usually would not recommend this outlook to anyone. Life is much easier.... filled with a lot more perks... and in general so much better for you and everyone around you when people like you.

Apart from that, it's probably the single most important thing when it comes to being successful. Even more important than being skilled.

If you can't be yourself at work (within common sense...), you shouldn't have a job there.

Ideally you're right... but realistically people often have to get a job wherever the work is available.
Disch wrote:
Asperger's is the inability to pick up on nonverbal communication, right?

Amongst other things, like a general unawareness of social norms. But it's not black-and-white, of course, and I know people with Asperger's who excel at spotting non-verbal signs because they're extremely observant (another potential symptom of it). The difference between them and you (I assume) is that you don't so much spot non-verbal cues as feel them. Someone with Asperger's can learn them by sight but they will likely never be as good as a neurotypical because individual signs rarely mean anything; they have to be put into context and people with Asperger's aren't as good at that.
I too have Asperger's (or used to; they have since deprecated the term and now I fall directly under Autism). I don't have real emotions, I have to force my facial expressions to make sure I am displaying the correct emotions and I have had to learn how to read other people's emotions. Being mentally bullied in school has given me a very strong sense of empathy, though - I just cannot watch scenes in movies where the main character is being embarrassed in front of a lot of people, I have to skip it.
If you only have autism, then you do have real emotions, but perhaps you are not apt to understand them. If you really lack emotions, there is something else going on - psychopathy, extreme narcissism, schizoid personality disorder, etc. - because even people with severe depression, PTSD and schizophrenia have emotions, they just can't express them (flat affect). Also if you have empathy which elicits a reaction like that, then you have emotions. Someone without "real emotions" wouldn't react at all.

Perhaps, like me, you just have relatively numb emotions. Or possibly we're both normal, but both overestimate how intense others' emotions are.
Last edited on
Did you know that SSRI mood stabilizers/anti-psychotics can have the adverse side effect of emotional numbing? Some cases have been found to be permanent. Mine fortunately wasn't.

edit: and my old doctor lost his license over the perscriptions he had me on in combination. Or was repremanded. Hell I don't know, I don't go to him anymore and I know my current doctor called the AMA on him and his practice was gone about 6 months later
Last edited on
@chrisname I have personal feelings but they don't really match up with the emotions I've had to learn. I really only experience either negative feelings or positive feelings, and in order to construct emotions I have to think about why I am felling that way and then decide which emotion matches most closely. So, I suppose I am just numb or something. Many times in the past people have told me I have had the wrong facial expression or the wrong tone of voice, which is why I have to manually control my face and voice. If I just leave them unattended then weird things happen.
Last edited on
It sounds like you're using the word "emotion" to mean "non-verbal cue".
Yeah... people don't usually get to choose which emotion they feel. Although you can temper them.
Sounds like this,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyssemia

Which also sounds like something I have to some degree. Although I am very introverted so maybe that's why.

When around lots of people at a social event, it kind of feels like being deaf and blind in some sense. I have trouble following and understanding the evolving emotional environment around me. And I don't understand really how people have so much fun interacting without at least intelligent conversation, a game or competition, or activity.

It's not that I don't like to be around people. It's just that I like to be around people, doing things that make sense to me.
Last edited on
I don't know, I was only diagnosed with Asperger's. That was years ago and I have changed significantly in that time.
Pages: 12