Whats the point of social networking?

Pages: 123
Honestly, I do not understand why people use social networking. What is one thing about social networking is good? I could just sit here and name all the bad things about it.
What kind of social networking do you mean?
The "Lounge" could be a social networking place, too.
I just use facebook for events.
I mean like twitter, and things like that.
I only use Facebook. And it is only as good as the people who use it. It's only bad if the people you're friends with are bad.

I use it as a convenient way to text my friends and organize events. Apart from that it's just me and my friends sharing funny pictures/videos/quotes.

As a general rule... I typically unfollow people who post the following:
- "top 10" lists
- "Which X are you" Quizzes
- "viral" images
- Any image that instructs you to like/share it in the image itself
- Image macros.
- articles that have gimmicky cliffhanger titles... like "Foobar was driving down the street, you won't believe what happens next"... or "This child was playing violin, then this happened."
- anything sports related
What do you mean by events?
I'm interested in the "bad things" you mentioned in your first post. Can you elaborate?
I basically only use facebook to talk with other people.
On my profile now, there's just my profile picture and a picture of my (partially obscured by my car keys) driving license.

I also unfollow people, but I only unfollow people who:
- Share nudity or similar content
- Posts many images asking for like/shares
- Cliffhangers, or "copy and paste this for luck" (I used to block anybody pasting these like everywhere. Sometimes, I still do. A cleaner facebook is a better facebook.)
- Share games / Invites (Disch probably forgot this) (I also used to block every game I was invited into. Not sure if you still can block them nowadays, I can't find the related buttons)

As for top-10's and Which-X-are-you, unless I'm required to like/share stuff to see the result (e.g. it is displayed right there), it doesn't really bother me.
Lately, I'm giving slightly less hate on Facebook.
Maybe because I block/hide a lot of stuff, maybe because I'm heading into my 20's.
I mean like never seeing the outside world, and being on a computer all day, and being distracted from your real friends. By real friends i'm talking about the people that send friend request to anyone, just so they can have more "friends". Have you ever been eating diner with people and there all on there phones, talking to someone?
Last edited on
^ Yes. That's something I hate. I stopped going outside with people like that about a couple of months ago. I really hate that. I mean REALLY. I don't go outside, pay car, spend time and everything to watch people on the phone.
Now that I think about it, its odd to talk about being on a computer all day on a programming website.
Well, you're home and (usually) alone when you build programs (unless you're in a office).
I don't build programs when I'm with friends.
I do agree with that. I'm alone at home, and most of what I do is program.
I don't really have much to say except to share the occasional video, article, or other link. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, but I do use Google+ to share pictures and links with my family. We have phones and email for text.

Social networking is like being in a room with everyone shouting at the top of their lungs at each other. Maybe you'll overhear someone you knew in high school. But is that important to you? Why does everyone in the room need to know what you're eating for dinner?
That is exactly my point. Does anyone enjoy looking at selfies? Honestly.
There's no reason to complain about it. That's like going to the book store, seeing books you don't like, and then telling everyone in the book store that you don't like the books they read.

The two questions in my previous post were not rhetorical. To some people, it is important to them.
Last edited on
I generally agree with that, but I don't think it completely applies here. Whats happening does not only affect the person doing it, but the people around them.
Could you be more specific? I don't feel affected by my parents using Facebook.
When your at dinner, and people are sitting on there phones instead of talking to each other.
Last edited on
Just noticed, I'm talking to you in 2 threads LB.
Pages: 123