• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Would it be too much to be taking Calc I

Would it be too much to be taking Calc III, Linear Algebra, ODE in the same semester?

Just curious what you guys think. It would be kinda nice to be almost completely done with all my math (think I still need discrete, though). I'm currently signed up for Calc III and linear, so I'd have to try to add ODE on the first day of class next semester (still pissed that it was full when I tried to add last month).

The thing that kinda makes me feel this is doable is the fact that I've heard that Calc III is easier than Calc II, and that all three courses relate to each other.
Last edited on
I'm also taking MultivarCalc and LinAlg this next semester. I enjoy math a lot and did well in AP calculus in high school, so I think I'll be fine. If you enjoyed Calculus when you took it before, you'll probably be fine. I have heard horror stories about Linear Algebra though.
Next semester, I am doing the same thing- Calc III, Linear Algebra, and Discrete Mathematics. Mind you, I tend to do a lot of math on my own (I could probably pass the final for linear algebra with what I currently know, and I know most of the concepts of things in Calc III), so this isn't quite the same. My recommendation is to at least review what will be in the courses to see whether you can deal with those classes at once.

Also, linear algebra is not that bad. The horror stories are having to do RREF by hand to a bunch of matrices to calculate rank and nullity, among other things.
Will they let you take ODE before linear algebra? I think it's usually a pre-requisite. The thing is that if you are taking them concurrently, you will need to be using linear algebra techniques in ODE right away, that you won't learn in linear algebra until towards the end.

Where I took these courses, Calc III was far more difficult than Calc II and linear algebra. ODE was the easiest.

Calc III was much easier than Calc II for me.

If that's all you're taking, then it sounds fine. If you're taking more than one other major course along with the three math classes... I personally wouldn't suggest it.
Last edited on
Oh God, Linear Algebra was a nightmare for me (and my entire class, might have been a bad instructor). I left that class knowing basically nothing. Calc 3 should be pretty easy if you did well in Calc 2. It's mostly just an extension of Calc 2 into more dimensions. It gets weird trying to visualize what's going on at times, but the calculations are all pretty straight forward. It was also (for me) a 3 credit-hour course, compared to 5 credit-hours for Calc 1 and 2.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.