Spam in Cplusplus?

Pages: 123
closed account (13bSLyTq)
Hi,

What's up with the spam posts on this forums? I have had to report and remove up-to 3 spam posts today alone? I never seen spam posts on other forums apart from this and MSDN but nothing more?

Why is the spam posts targeted here the spam posts are not even download this file, its just like go to reddit links?

Why don't we put spam filters and protections?

Kind Regards,
OrionMaster
Spam seems to happen here all of the time. Most times you won't notice because someone else reported it first. No idea why, and no idea why we don't have filters, but alas.
Those reddit links, at least the ones I've reported, were to posts on reddit that WERE downloads.

... Sure I could have just saw the post, reported the spam and be on my happy way. But then I wouldn't know what the links were to, and not knowing something? Now that just won't do.
Spam is nothing new, I remove probably 5 of them a day some times more. Has been like this for as long as I can remember.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
It would be interesting to know just how much is cleaned up by us. I have deleted a heck of a lot recently.
I've been cleaning it up as well.

I don't think it's too bad though. I really don't mind doing it at all.
Well, that's six people who've been cleaning up spam threads. I've seen 5 or 6 in the last couple of days.

Anyone else remember how many they've reported lately?
I do about 2-4 a day. I don't remember it being this bad a year ago.
I guess it doesn't appear to be that bad to most of us because we're all doing such a bang-up job taking care of it. I'm proud of us. Good work, team.
Yeah. It seems to pop up a lot around midnight PST. I usually get 2-3 when I do get them, maybe every other day or so.
I did about 5 yesterday too :/

I usually delete around 2-4 a day also when I check here.
If I check the forum all day, I'll usually see and delete between three and four with maybe one in eight ending up in a collision (someone else reported and deleted it at the same time I did). I'm in the EST though and I know a lot of you are in bed or living your lives during the time that I am usually on; so that probably accounts for most of the volume that I see.

What I don't get though is how it can still be worth the trouble for whoever is doing it. We don't get enough for me to suspect that it's being done via script, although that could be because of the post rate limitation that is in place, so is it really some drone copy and pasting these links? In that case they last what? Maybe 5 - 7 mins? This site doesn't have the kind of traffic that would suggest they are trapping enough dim-wits into following their links to their payloads.

Cheraphy suggests that the ultimate objective is to lead the target to a malicious download. I'm almost curious to know what the payload is where this inefficient of a process can yield any kind of an ROI.
These spam posts are starting to get pretty creative: http://i.imgur.com/gJTJhDy.png

I think, based on the structuring and wording of this one, that it is indeed a bot, and that bot uses almost complete sentences rather than short sentence fragments to generate statements.

I'd like to see this guys code.
At least, unlike a few months ago, they no longer have the [url][/url] tags around their hyperlinks. To be honest, that annoyed me more than the spam did...
Perhaps we've just reached the threshold for constant spam attack now... Just now I deleted about 10 posts in the same vein as we've been seeing.
Might be time to PM twicker and ask him to do something about it.
Yeah possibly delete any post that contains reddit :P
Well that's a new one: http://i.imgur.com/h2On35o.png
This is getting absurd.

Between last night and this morning I think I've reported a dozen or more. It was never this bad before. Something probably should be done about it.
Pages: 123