Can anyone relate?

Hello,

So, I've been programming in C++ for a long time. For the past two years or so I feel like my understanding of C++ is vastly improved.

However, I've started to attend college. All that they teach at my college is Java. I'm not language biased and I understand that most languages have their own uses. I feel though that no one here understands C++.

People who think that the only difference between Java and C++ is only syntactical are completely incorrect. Java and C++ are completely different philosophies when it comes to programming.

This makes me somewhat sad, because I thought that I was going to engage people who knew more about programming. So far I've only had one professor that has even used C++. The others use the same rhetoric "C++'s is an dead/outdated language and shouldn't be used." I'm transferring next semester because I can't take this anymore.
Last edited on
I feel though that no one here understands C++.
People who think that the only difference between Java and C++ is only syntactical are completely incorrect.

Uhh, plenty of people here know that fact. There used to be C++ v Java threads in the lounge all the time. Got pretty heated, too. Topics discussed included but weren't limited to GC vs Manual memory management, purity and quality of OOP, VM vs native. (including JIT vs AOT)

[Professors] use the same rhetoric "C++'s is an dead/outdated language and shouldn't be used."
I'm transferring next semester because I can't take this anymore.

I wouldn't jump ship just yet. You're one semester in. Have you spoken with all the professors? Do you know what is covered in the later classes and what tools they use to teach it? And arguably most importantly, what are the post grad hiring statistics like?
Last edited on
You're transferring because they don't teach with the language you like...? That's a little crazy. You can learn a lot by branching out and learning new languages and technologies. Someday when you get a job, you will be using whatever language your employer decides is best.
*snip*

Uhh, plenty of people here know that fact. There used to be C++ v Java threads in the lounge all the time. Got pretty heated, too. Topics discussed included but weren't limited to GC vs Manual memory management, purity and quality of OOP, VM vs native. (including JIT vs AOT)

Yeah, I'm sure that there are plenty of people here who do know that. There are a lot of good answers here for those topics. I think that Java and C++ both have their uses. It's not that I detest Java.

You're transferring because they don't teach with the language you like...? That's a little crazy. You can learn a lot by branching out and learning new languages and technologies. Someday when you get a job, you will be using whatever language your employer decides is best.

It's more of a combination of things. The language thing is really the "straw that broke the Camel's back," but I prefer to not go over a bunch of personal stuff in the C++ forums.

I do understand Java and it's not that I don't like the language. I write code in C++ because it is somewhat more fulfilling to me. I know why everything works the way that it does. Java automates a lot more of the code than in C++. It's just that when I write some code that I find interesting or innovative, there's no one around who will or can critique it. I thought that was the purpose of college.
Last edited on
Yeah, I'm sure that there are plenty of people here who do know that. There are a lot of good answers here for those topics. I think that Java and C++ both have their uses. It's not that I detest Java.
i do. for many reasons ;)

It's more of a combination of things. The language thing is really the "straw that broke the Camel's back," but I prefer to not go over a bunch of personal stuff in the C++ forums.[quote] fair enough. we arent all cheraphy in the lounge ;)

[quote]I do understand Java and it's not that I don't like the language. I write code in C++ because it is somewhat more fulfilling to me. I know why everything works the way that it does

again, fair enough. i feel the same about nim over c++. at some point i may pick racket and nim and never use c++ again.
It's just that when I write some code that I find interesting or innovative, there's no one around who will or can critique it. I thought that was the purpose of college.

Depends on your level of college, the type of college, the major you are seeking, and the country of the college. Undergrad at most American Universities is almost entirely there to help you learn how to learn, and to teach you the skills you need to get a job in whatever field.

Then there's those students who don't plan on stopping at undergrad. You'll start to see more of people searching or finding something interesting or innovative, and those who are willing or obligated to critique it, in masters programs. Once you get to Doctoral and post Doc, that's when the purpose of college is to innovate and have your findings scrutinized ruthlessly.
> I'm transferring next semester because I can't take this anymore.

Yes. To learn anything well, a primary requirement is that you need to derive pleasure from, find fulfillment, in the process of learning.

Research your options well, and switch early rather than late.
MaxterTheTurtle wrote:
"C++'s is an dead/outdated language and shouldn't be used."
Show this video:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Visual-Studio/Connect-event-2014/311
Problem solved.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.