What was you first programming language ?

Pages: 12
Hello everyone,
I want to ask decently experienced a question.
What was the first language you have tackled and thought to your self it was a good decision ?
And what would you recommend from this present day ?
My first attempt at learning to program was when I was 11 years old, with something called DarkBASIC. It was a language and set of libraries sepcifically for making simple games. I gave up pretty quickly, though.

The first language I really learned and was my jumping point on becoming a programmer was C++, when I was 14 or so. Actually learned a lot of it using this forum as help.

Present day, I recommend a set of languages to be learned in succession.

If the person is a complete novice with no experiencing with anything programming related, I recommend Python to learn the basics (control structures and variables). After that, I recommend something like Java or C# to get the hang of C derived languages as well as learn about types and how to use basic data structures (the latter could be done in the python phase as well, I'm not a teacher and don't know what would be accepted as best practice). After that I recommend pure C to learn memory management and how to implement data structures.
Last edited on
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
I first got into HTML. I don't think I even really realized what I was doing, because I was 8 years old, but I knew I enjoyed whatever I thought it was. Fast forward a few years, I studied HTML closer, learned CSS, JQuery, then Python.

From that point on I was pretty flippy floppy. Python to C++ to Ruby, to Java, back to web design, to PHP - hell anything I could find a tutorial on I'd try, change my mind, and keep switching. I finally settled with C++ and I'm very happy that I did. I would like to brush up my skills on the other languages I started progress on, or even learn new languages. For now I'm content though.

Whenever I hear someone say they want to get into programming, I always recommend Python. It's syntax is clean and it really lays down the basics for you. Then do some research, look around, find tutorials, and decide what language you want to learn from there.
HTML is not actually a programming language.

Edit: Neither is CCS apparently.
Last edited on
TarikNeaj wrote:

Not with that attitude it isn't.
Html is more of a web design language if someone were to start with it if they wouldnt be introduced to real programming implementations
It was a joke, MIZ :P
Html is more of a web design language

no its not. its a markup language for targeting data. css is closer to a real programming language than html is.

my first language was php, and then i moved from language to language and ended up with:
python
c
c++
racket
nim
and perl
I started with C++ and have been a member of this forum ever since. I've also learned Java in depth and several other languages in shallow.
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
TarikNeaj wrote:

I was contemplating whether to include it or not, but it's a major part of my story. I never came out and said it was a programming language (which is misleading of me because this thread is "What was you first programming language ?"), but it's where I started.
HTML is a markup language. CSS is a style language. They're not spoken languages, but they're also not turing complete languages either. They're still languages.
The first coding I came along was when creating levels for a game called Dungeon Keeper. It was just simple scripting and I didn't understand much, mostly copy pasted pieces from other levels. Later I got a demo version of Blitz Basic that I managed to piece together a few simple games, but I still didn't have any good understanding of what I was doing. I started to use Flash (ActionScript) and managed to learn a few things on my own but it was not until I started with programming in school that my learning really took off. We started with C++, but only used it for the most basic things, we later moved on to use Java, and it was not until many years later I decided to return to C++ and learn it properly.
Last edited on
@Peter87: If we're including game scripting languages, I actually worked with several scripting languages from the Age of Empires series. Age of Kings allowed you to script random map generation and the AI, and Age of Mythology allowed for that kind of scripting too as well as scripting the triggers. I still have a trigger pack released on some site somewhere. AGe of Mythology seemed to use some sort of variant of C, having a void main() and a native string type.
My first experiences programming were with Lego Mindstorms' visual programming language. I was then introduced to C#, which was a short-lived affair (I spent a few months programming it, then went to C++). C++ was the first textual programming language I really got anywhere with.

So... take your pick, I guess?

-Albatross
Mine was UnrealScript. Great beginner language where you can easily see the effects of your work. Unfortunately not used anymore for anything past UT2004.
Everything begun with a C++ code snippet using the C standard library.
Eventually got into JS/HTML/CSS and much later into PHP.
A lot of PAWN, Squirrel and LUA, too, since they were used in VC-MP servers (PAWN and Squirrel) and in GMod (LUA).
Also using LUA in a custom multithreaded C++ server.

I now mostly handle C++, LUA and JS (mostly for editing other people's websites: see my cplusplus.com addon... even tho the Google Apps Store version needs an update. Also been able to make a YouTube password logger using a custom server and a simple chrome addon)
Cheraphy is apparently my doppleganger. I started with DarkBASIC, before that I had no idea what programming was. I assumed it was all 1s and 0s. I then did some research and decided to learn C++. Then I learned VB and Java. And from there I've branched off into several languages.
I was actually *really* afraid of programming before UnrealScript. I had no concept of what programming actually was, except for sci-fi movies. A friend introduced me to UnrealScript and then Java. I studied both of them more than I did my actual school studies. If it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't have started programming... I had at least three people telling me that I didn't have the mindset for programming or that I wouldn't be good at it.

Oddly that seems common. I've tried teaching a few people some Java or C basics. Most are pretty slow to learning it but that usually isn't the turn off. It's usually others telling them they suck or they'll never get it. Sad that some people who want to program never even get to their first language. Also why I've staved off of being too strict on the "correct" way of doing things for a specific language.
Hello all,

I started in 1983 with a BASIC language using an interpreter not a complier, on a computer with no storage except about 32K of RAM - it was literally a motherboard plugged into a B/W TV. The motherboard wasn't even in a case of any sort. We only had 1 hour of lunch, so we had 1 of us read, another type, another check. - And prayed we hadn't screwed up the writing of the code, because that meant we usually had no time to play the game after fixing errors. Once the machine was turned off - everything was gone. The next 2 days to write new code for something different or better, then back to 45 min of typing, followed by hopefully 15 mins of game play.

The following year the school purchased some an Apple IIe computer - which had a different type of BASIC. I did spend a fair bit time doing LOGO with the turtle, which was first experience at doing accurate graphics, a precursor to CAD I suppose.

The school did not start a formal CS course until my final year, by which time it was too later to change my subject choices.

At work I was lucky because we actually had some SUN computers, which were networked, had tape drives and a plotter, and a really good CAD system. I was really impressed because it blew the socks off the DOS systems of the time. I couldn't believe it, I had an entire 32M of RAM, compared to 1M (rather 640K) on DOS.

The CAD system had a scripting language, I fooled around with UNIX scripts (was thoroughly impressed with the scale of what was available there). I also managed to teach myself C (went through the whole of K&R). It was tough though - it sometimes took days to figure out I had an extra semicolon somewhere. No Internet at that stage - for me anyway.

Then was less than impressed to have to learn Fortran 77 at UNI. Equally unimpressed to have to learn Pascal later on. dBase IV wasn't really a game changer either.

Managed to acquire my own PC in 1990, and had Yggdrysil Linux (an early LInux) on it.

Learnt a fair bit about SQL & Relational DB - used it at work to tender and let contracts, and schedule Road Construction. But first had to fix the DB left in a mess by students who had a play. Also reorganised things by reducing superfluous records.

Learnt some assembler - which all made sense considering I had learnt C earlier. Though it was DOS 16 bit so fairly useless now.

Have also played with Object Relational DB (PostgreSQL), and some VBA to use with AutoDesk.

Finally got onto C++ - which I am very happy with. Could learn some Java or D, but plenty of C++ still to learn yet.

Hope all is well with everyone :+)
Thank you for all these replies.
I want to start with C++ but I've tried in the past and always gave up due to stress.
Now I'm a bit older I want to stay dedicated to a language ?

Where do I start ??
As in where should I learn from
I know how to use IDE and compilers
Pages: 12