Anyone interested in this project?

I just published a project to github, and was wondering if there's any interest in it.

Let me know what you think as well. Feedback and contributions are welcome.

https://github.com/BeenEncoded/note_editor_for_class
Last edited on
Right now I dont have boost installed but it seems like something really interesting to pick up if you would want my help. Could you post some screenshots to see how it looks right now?
Added some screenshots.
Looks interesting.

Is there an .exe to play around with?
no, but it is cross-platform.

As of right now, my plans are not to compile a windows executable until it's totally finished. At that point, I'll put some releases on github for Windows and Linux. I can't put one up for mac because I don't have a mac or a VM with OSx on it.

However, if you have a windows system, you are able to compile it. I have found it's best done with Microsoft's Visual C++ (community). You can compile wxWidgets, and you can get boost from the dependency manager for MSVC++ (forgot what it's called). You'll need to make sure you link against the appropriate wxWidhgets Libraries. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head right now, but it shouldn't take too much time to figure it out.

If you get a Linux VM, it will be much easier to build. If all you want to do is compile it and mess around with it, I would advise you use that approach as it's much more simpler than using Winderz to do it.
Last edited on
I think I will wait until it's finished. Too much hassle to download, install and configure wxWidgets and boost since I have no inclination to learn and use them.
I've taken the project down. I've decided that wxWidgets was the wrong choice for this project. It's caused too much trouble for me (documented features that don't do what they're supposed to, etc...), so I'm switching to QT, which means a complete re-write. Hopefully I'll have somthing up soon. It shouldn't take long because I have more time to commit to it than I did with the previous incarnation.
Last edited on
I had to use WxWidgets in a previous job, and I didn't find it a very positive experience - largely, because the documentation was poor, and and there were too many undocumented bugs and/or behaviour quirks to deal with. I found QT a much better framework to use.

@Thomas1965 While I understand your reluctance to look at WxWidgets, I'd strongly advise you to rethink your attitude to Boost. It's pretty much become a standard tool in the C++ toolbox these days. There's so much useful - and cool - stuff, that it's hard to ignore.
so I'm switching to QT

Great! Let us know when you do. I'll lend my free time.
MikeyBoy said:
I had to use WxWidgets in a previous job, and I didn't find it a very positive experience - largely, because the documentation was poor, and and there were too many undocumented bugs and/or behaviour quirks to deal with. I found QT a much better framework to use.

This is why I put it up when I did. I wanted to try wxWidgets without any prejudice (for or against) about it.

I've been using QT for a while now, and I must say it's much more pleasant than wxWidgets, but I still have a ways to go. With QT, my code is much more concise because more is handled by the library (for instance, I don't have to bind or unbind events). I spend more time worrying about writing the code and less time making the library work for me.

Thomas1965 said:
Too much hassle to download, install and configure wxWidgets and boost

I agree with MikeyBoy, you're most likely going to use boost at some point if you want to write C++ for a living. Also, Boost isn't leaving this project. I'm using it for the filesystem library and the regex library (globbing files and filesystem iteration, etc...), so I suppose I won't be expecting you to contribute to the project anytime soon. ;)
Last edited on
@MikeBoy, @IWishIKnew,

what I have heard so far about boost is actually rather positive. However I am more a .NET guy, so I currently have no real use for it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.