most secure linux distro ?

For me it's important.
As I've been infected ( read v i r u s ) running other Windows
variants, Windows 10 does it's thing nicely thank you.
This is just to set up my question.
On my linux machine ( old one since 2009 ), I use linux mint mate
which does it's thing ( for me ) nicely thank you.
If this degenerates in some kind throll I ask the mods to kindly
scrub this thread.

I ask on this site because I think you will respond with less biased
opinions.
TIA
mycuser
Last edited on
The one that's not connected to any networks, has no peripherals plugged in, and has all its ports hot-glued.
Also, preferably it's powered off and has its drives stored off-site.
Last edited on
What you're saying is all operating systems have security flaws.
But since Ma Bell is connected to my PC ( or I couldn't even be a member of this forum ) ...

I'm not asking information about American foreign policies, I simply need some help ( which is usually freely given around these parts ) about making a good choice in selecting a linux distro.
Hope you can help,
mycuser
I'm saying security comes primarily from enforcing policies, not from the software.
The more hardened the system is, the more difficult it is to actually do anything with it. The most hardened systems are single-purpose machines that present the smallest possible attack surface by combining a defense-in-depth kind of strategy and doing absolutely nothing unnecessary.

Finding a balance that's sufficiently usable, secure, and fast depends on what you're worried about.

For just average use, you might go pick out a properly configured Debian or OpenBSD (although its not a Linux), or perhaps even a carefully-configured Arch Linux. If you're more concerned, you can run SELinux and compile the rest of your system as PIC and with stack-protection, encrypt your disks, and take any number of extra steps. Run an anti-virus.

You can go the sandboxing route too, using something like Qubes, which will impose it's own significant penalties.
Last edited on
making a good choice in selecting a linux distro

In other words the focus in not on security, but on features of distros.

What should we consider there?

* How reliable is the distro vendor? (Wasn't there an injection attack to Mint repo recently?)

* What are the defaults in a distro? The less additional "lock up" you have to add, the better.

* How quickly/often does the distro vendor release security updates?

* What applications (versions) are available in the base distro? If you need third-party repo for a feature, then you have to re-evaluate "security".

Oracle Linux (commercial) boasts "security", yet it depends on Red Hat Enterprice Linux (commercial) for most updates. What are the dependencies of Debian, Ubuntu, Mint?

Bleeding edge has novel holes.

I can't tell what is good. I stick to the one that I know (by now quite well). The (unwitting) user is invariably the greatest threat to the system.
Thank you all for your answers.
I find myself a dangerous ( to myself ) user with too little "savvy".

A lot of what I read I find of little use because of the above.
What you're saying is that security is not guaranteed simply by choosing this or that linux distro.
But you have to start somewhere.

Daily use of this Mint / Ubuntu / Debian distro brings stability / ease of use.
Why would I want to switch, because I worry :)
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
You, the user, are the sole security risk.

Windows isn't necessarily more prone to being virused up, it is the lack of basic security awareness most people have that causes the problems.

Using Linux requires a bit more computer skills knowledge than using Windows.
No gun is going to stop you from shooting yourself in the head, and no amount of security-conciously-designed software is going to stop you from doing insecure things.
You want to start somewhere? Start by learning how to use computers and how to gauge the risk of your actions with them.
You want to start somewhere? Start by learning how to use computers and how to gauge the risk of your actions with them.

exactly. being secure is largely common sense. don't download things over HTTP, don't download/run software from strange/unknown sites, especially without verification, have a good av that is up to date, and be careful about what information you put out online. There's a million different things you can do, but it boils down to keeping yourself informed and making smart decisions.
Well, my worries are not over, they are on-going.
I have been using computers ( PCs or otherwise ) since .., ( quote be careful about what information you put out online unquote :)
I've had my share of bumps and falls but as far as keeping myself informed this threads is a start.

Maybe some of you will get a laugh out of it. I take it all in good spirits ( speaking of ... )
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.