where to upload finished products

Pages: 12
closed account (N8MNAqkS)
I am working on a little game right now, its just in VS and plays on the text window you get when you run the program in VS. I was wondering if there was any way for me to put all of that code into a single file and then upload it somewhere for people to download and play. you would only be able to use it if you had VS but that is alright.
You can use a Git hosting services like Gitlab or Github.
If it's the actual code you want to make available, rather then the compiled executable, then GitHub would be the obvious place to share it. There's no need to put it all into one file, either.

If the app runs purely in a text console, why do you need VS, specifically, to build it?
well you wouldn't need VS to build it specifically. I guess you could use code blocks or something. also what is GitHub.
GitHub hosts online repositories for you (using git version control). Learning version control is a good skill (personally I use perforce, though).

https://github.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitHub
Last edited on
I made a GitHub account how do I use. what are online repositories. what is version control. oooooh so many questions.
If you want to learn Git, there are plenty of videos on YouTube. There is a lot to learn about Git if you're completely new to it, so I doubt anyone will actually teach you how to use it in these forums. Some YouTube videos will boil Git down to just the very basics.
Actually, yeah, git is pretty intimidating, even for people who are already familiar with other version control mechanisms. It's very powerful, but not very intuitive.

(Much like C++ itself... :P )
Ok so disclaimer, im not saying I have mastered git or that I know what I am doing, but so far I am not impressed.

its just another MS word. all it does is hold text, it doesn't run code. and when you open it in VS its the same deal, its just text it doesn't run anything. and I cant upload what I make so that people can use it.

thereis a master branch, that holds a read me, and I can make other branches that hold a read me of there own, and that's it. its all just useless text, nothing is actually code.

I have spent the last 4 hours learning about this thing and you hear such great things about it and then you get to using it and theres just nothing there. I can see this being useful to a bunch of authors who want to write a book together. but how does this help a programmer.

and all I wanted to know is if there was a way for me to easily put my code into a file, put it somewhere for ppl to download, and then open it in and IDE like VS or Code blocks. its not an app its just code that works in the little console window when you execute code in an IDE. I cant make apps yet.

the only impressive thing about this is how it manages to be both overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time.
Last edited on
I'm getting conflicting details in your last post. It sounded like you just wanted to upload source code to somewhere online, for other people to look at or download. This is what GitHub or similar web services can allow you to do.

If you want to upload the actual executable (the app/program), that's not the code.

its not an app its just code that works in the little console window when you execute code in an IDE. I cant make apps yet.

This is where the disconnect in terminology is. Usually, the word "code" refers to source code. Source code is read by a compiler and compiled into an executable file ("binary"). This is the actual program/app/application that you run. A program can be run outside of the IDE (VS, Code Blocks, etc.) that you're using.

If you want the .exe itself to be uploaded for others to download and run, you can also put it with the other version control files, though most people don't want to run random .exe files on the internet.

If you want another person to compile your source code, they need to have their own compiler to do it.
Last edited on
Visual Studio 2019 has a GitHub plugin that can be installed when installing the IDE, or later if desired. IIRC 2017 had something similar as part of the installation package.

https://www.thomasclaudiushuber.com/2019/04/02/using-git-in-visual-studio-2019/
Last edited on
all I have is source code. I have a .h file and a .cpp file and that's it. its not an app, it has no graphical interface, and you need a compiler to use it. is there a way I can upload this to a place where ppl can download it and mess around with it. I cant be any clearer with this.
You could use any file-hosting website to upload the .h and .cpp file. GitHub can do this to, but if you don't need proper source control, then git might seem like using a hammer to crack a nut.

20 Best Free File Hosting Sites 2017 | Reviews and Ratings
https://thetechreader.com/top-ten/20-best-free-file-hosting-sites-2017-reviews-and-ratings/

But just to try to get on the same page here: People are going to be confused when you say "it's not an app". "App" is just a general term meaning a program/application (something that is executed). An "app" can be a console-based application or a full-fledged GUI application, it's a very generic term.
Last edited on
If you're using Github, you can create a repository on Github. Go to that repository on Github and you can either click and drag files to upload them or you can browse for files. You do not have to use the command line for this.

If you don't want to use Github or Git anything, why not just upload it to a an online storage service like Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link with others?
ok everything works, I figured it out after 5 hours. im not sure if this is the right link but if u wanna check it out and give feedback here it is. its not done but its getting there.

https://github.com/Syalin/Hexipon/blob/master/GeneralPractice/GeneralPractice/main.cpp

this one might be better

https://github.com/Syalin/Hexipon
Last edited on
Glad you figured it out and didn't give up. I like how you did incorporate a function to draw the board to at least prevent having to copy that over and over again.
thx, I was proud of that board thing.
Last edited on
closed account (367kGNh0)
but not very intuitive.

Ok, please tell me what disadvantages Lua has over c++. In Lua hello world is literally ONE LINE.
Last edited on
Are you feeling OK? No one mentioned Lua.
closed account (367kGNh0)
Are you feeling OK? No one mentioned Lua.

The person said C++ in powerful, but not very intuitive. this intrigues me, so is a more intuitive language like lua better than c++ because it can do the same in less time
Pages: 12