Can you inform me of a loophole here?

closed account (367kGNh0)
I am conceptualising an online boardgame. This is the starting set up: https://imgur.com/a/8X7Aew9

This game has six players (ideally an online server) and a random team is chosen to start. The rules are

[]Each team moves their pieces together. So it is three moves per turn

[]You can only move horizontally or vertically

[]You cannot move towards the starting position(like pawns in chess)

[]You eliminate an opposition by horizontally/vertically colliding with the piece

Is there a flaw you see in the concept, do you have a solution for it?
¿win condition?
¿what happen when a piece reach the other side?
¿what if two pieces of the same team collide?
¿win condition?
Kudos

¿what happen when a piece reach the other side?
No impact, it's a simple game

¿what if two pieces of the same team collide?
Game won't allow it, think of it like, there are two lines of children, at a time, all children in line A take a step each at the same time, then Line B
What happens if two players of opposite teams are the only ones remaining and have advanced past each other, such that neither can capture the other (because of rule 3)? Is it a draw?

Game won't allow it, think of it like, there are two lines of children, at a time, all children in line A take a step each at the same time, then Line B
That doesn't answer the question. What happens if two players decide to move into the same position? You say it won't allow it. Alright, but what will happen instead?
For example, A is at (0, 0) and B is at (0, 2), and they both decide to move towards (0, 1). What happens? Does the game tell them to agree on a different move?
For example, A is at (0, 0) and B is at (0, 2), and they both decide to move towards (0, 1). What happens? Does the game tell them to agree on a different move?
Whoever clicks first gets the spot, PERFECTLY simultaneous click? That would be like two strikes of lightning hitting the same spot, but of course a sort of random task will be executed

Is it a draw?
Yes, null game, no points for each team

Last edited on
Having race conditions in a board game is pretty shitty. Imagine if in chess you could move one piece at any time regardless of what the other player is doing.
Why not just have the computer decide the order at random?
Having race conditions in a board game is pretty shitty. Imagine if in chess you could move one piece at any time regardless of what the other player is doing.
Why not just have the computer decide the order at random?
Teams move altogether though in ym game
They don't move together, they compete with each other for spaces on the board.
Whoever clicks first gets the spot, PERFECTLY simultaneous click?

I see a possible move. I click (timepoint A). My client sends the click to the server. Server updates board. Your client updates its view of the board (timepoint B).

The delay between A and B can be "huge". There can be plenty of time after A for you to click. Your click could even reach the server before my click, stealing my kill!!!

Are there one designed piece per player, or many pieces per team?

Note: Calhamer's Diplomacy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_(game) has 2-7 players, who each have multiple pieces and all moves for a turn are resolved simultaneously. There, if two pieces attempt to move to same square on same turn, neither moves.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.