KtxMnu - can you rate it?

Pages: 123
KtxMnu stands for Context Menu. It installs a submenu to your right click context menu for the windows file system.

The items in this submenu can be customized by updating a text based ini file.

Download it directly from: http://www.shankodev.com/KtxMnu_files/KtxMnu_Installer.zip .
(Edit - fixed link)

We find this utility very useful and believe that many others on this site may feel the same.

Even a beginner can use this app to place a tiny relatively very easy app that operates on a file or group of files into the context menu thereby simplifying their own or
other peoples lives an consequently impress the socks off your superiors or co-workers.

This app will work on any version of windows for 32 and 64 bit.

Checkout the following video demos:

https://youtu.be/9TQx7ZQupo0 --> "Customize and enhance windows right click context menu - part 1

https://youtu.be/ryk2lB7npzE --> "Customize and enhance windows right click context menu - part 2

https://youtu.be/M8qNQhA4qOA --> "Customize and enhance windows right click context menu - part 3

part 1 shows how to install
part 2 show how to use
part 3 shows how to update with your own tools and bitmaps.

@zapshe: thank you for pointing out the miss spelling in llink for the utility, I've corrected it.
Last edited on
Why should we respond to you?

Especially considering the confrontational, prideful attitude you evidenced when a similar request to evaluate Password Locket didn’t get the glowing review you wanted from us.
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/253017/

It is clear now that you only want to use this site as free advertising for your products. (“Endorsed by the people at cplusplus.com! link”)

Bugger off.
We find this utility very useful

Goodie for you.

and believe that many others on this site may feel the same.

Nope.
KtxMnu - can you rate it?

F, for FAIL.

Or -5 if you want a numerical score.

Two different products you've pimp here now, neither of which live up to the hype.
@Furry Guy
You actually looked at it? I’m impressed.

I don’t see any use for such a product personally, but I imagine someone, somewhere wouldn’t mind being able to hook their choice applications into the context popup.

But I’m still not interested in it, personally.

@Duthomhas,

I was simply going by the description this pimp provided, I have as much interest in looking at this latest vaporware as I do drilling a hole in my neck.

If I want or need to add something to a context popup I'll do it myself the old fashioned way. Edit the registry myself.

That way if I muck it up the blame is on me.

I am VERY choosy about what apps I allow to coexist on my PCs. Especially ones from hinky sources that have zero guarantee of not being Trojans or worse.
BTW, the real link is this:

http://www.shankodev.com/KtxMnu_files/KtxMnu_Installer.zip

^You misspelled your own company name
Here's my Bias Review:

Installer was very simple and enjoyable. The actual utility was impossible to use. I assume the options "archive file" and such were supposed to appear, but no way to actually get them in my right click menu. There's no application to use either, if anyone wants to customize anything they'll have to edit the KtxMnu.ini file. Nothing about this experience has been easy for a beginner, let alone me

Also, here's a mini review for the Password Locket, it sucks. The interface is so far from user friendly I didn't even want to look at it. Rethink the whole design. I promise you no one who is trying to actually spend money will ever buy that product with that disgusting I/O.
A lot of good software started out life as something that could be dramatically improved.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in asking for feedback (on the code, or on the candidate program) from the C++ community; in fact, it is a very good idea.
JLBorges, I agree. But I think the OP should be framed in a different way then, to explicitly state that they are looking for improvement tips... as it is, it makes it sound like zapshe is doing free beta testing for some company. Maybe I'm inferring too much (because of other posts not related to this one).
JLBorges is absolutely correct.

Applicability is an issue, however. In this instance the problem is the forum member posting the OP. As already demonstrated in [the only other] thread Ang has participated in, which she created, it shows very clearly that Ang does not want quality feedback.

The fact is, whether people think it is deserved or not, cplusplus.com is typically the highest-ranked C++ forum on the net.

This leads to the perception that the people who know their stuff about C++ hang out here. At the very least, if someone from C++.com says something is awesome, you get what is called Honor by Association (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy#Honor_by_association).

Whether deserved or not is irrelevant. If JLBorges says something is cool, I will tend to believe him. He is a professional who knows his stuff. If some random person with a new account says something is cool, I take it with a great deal more salt.

What this means is that, for someone wanting validation of their product, a naïve way to do that would be to get approval from people at cplusplus.com.

This is what OP wants.

Desiring approval of one’s work is a common trait we all share, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately, when dealing in software, there is no fine line distinguishing high value from... less value. The bar is pretty high, and the line is pretty broad.

It is an unpleasant experience to have your efforts evaluated as less than stellar, especially the first few times. It takes years of dedication and a whole lot of being humbled before you become awesome.

And for a lot of people, this equates to public shame, which results in anger and an intractable attitude.

Alas.
@Furry Guy :
If I want or need to add something to a context popup I'll do it myself the old fashioned way. Edit the registry myself

That is very bad advice as you run the risk of breaking your systems registry which is ultimately a very bad thing. Strange that the senior members telling me whats right anf wrong don't seem to weigh in on this bad advice being offered on this site, By being silent on this could be deemed as an endorsement of it by other readers of this post, especially newbies.

Also trying to update the registry by hand is no straight forward task and if after watching the following video: https://youtu.be/M8qNQhA4qOA, entitled "Customize and enhance windows right click context menu - part 3" you still agree that going the manual registry route you suggested is better then this utility is not for you, however, as pointed out by my developer, it will be interesting to see you produce a video where you can easily cater for the type of functionality that is being demonstrated in the part 3 video by simply updating the registry by hand as you so put it.

This video (part 3) demonstrates how to update the submenu with your own tools and bitmaps.

Part 1 https://youtu.be/9TQx7ZQupo0...... -- demonstrates how to install

Part 2 https://youtu.be/ryk2lB7npzE...... -- demonstrates how to use.

Please excuse the quality and nature of these videos, naturally they aren't entertaining Hollywood blockbusters but more like the video I received on a CD when I bought my sowing machine, ie. they are purely informational.
@Furry Guy :
I am VERY choosy about what apps I allow to coexist on my PCs. Especially ones from hinky sources that have zero guarantee of not being Trojans or worse.

I know exactly what you mean. We too have a culture in our company to be choosey about the software we allow on our machines. All I can unfortunately only offer you at this time is my word which I understand don't mean much on the basis that you know nothing about myself or my company beside what was conversed on this site. I respect this and under such circumstances we ourselves if place in a similar situation will run a new product on a virtual machine which should be capable of insulating us against any issues. Once we've determined such software to be safe (typically after extensive use and security analysis) we then use it where needed.

Take further note as well, that there is no value for me and my company to put any malware or trojans in our software besides BAD value. When such things become exposed, the risk to virtually any startup company like ourselves would be instant death of it which I can assure you isn't the case for me.
@zapshe
The actual utility was impossible to use. I assume the options "archive file" and such were supposed to appear, but no way to actually get them in my right click menu. There's no application to use either, if anyone wants to customize anything they'll have to edit the KtxMnu.ini file. Nothing about this experience has been easy for a beginner, let alone me

Checkout the videos in the links provided above. These might show you where things went wrong/misunderstood on your side as well as show you how easy it is to update with changes and functionality that would otherwise be very difficult or near impossible to achieve without it.

@zapshe
Also, here's a mini review for the Password Locket, it sucks. The interface is so far from user friendly I didn't even want to look at it. Rethink the whole design. I promise you no one who is trying to actually spend money will ever buy that product with that disgusting I/O.

Thanks for this reiview, but unfortunately my developer will not be able to do much with your advice, since we are not really a front end house. This means that he won't be able to redesign something better, but if was shown relative to the functionality in Password Locket what to change UI / IO to then he might definitely be able to work with that.

The front end however will not be the selling point of this app, instead it will rather be based upon the encryption and security implemented and on those grounds, anyone who knows their stuff and buys this app will be buying an excellent piece of software.
@Duthomhas:
Especially considering the confrontational, prideful attitude you evidenced when a similar request to evaluate Password Locket didn’t get the glowing review you wanted from us.

You seem to forget who threw the first punch - I have no issue with elements of the software I produced being challenged, but where I do take issue is when attributes of my company, myself or my developer was being insulted at an almost personal level (a level that is completely unwarranted for the request at hand).

You and a few other members on this forum kept insulting my developer based on your assumption that he or those with whom he collaborates knows nothing about encryption and security development. The fact that you and the said members assumed our abilities in this field is at that of some junior level is indicative of the humble attitude with which I approach this site.

Claiming therefore that we will undertake the risk upon ourselves was not a sign of pride and hubris. Contrast this to your condescending and insulting manner with which you are still speaking to and of me.

@Duthomhas:
if someone from C++.com says something is awesome, you get what is called Honor by Association

So you will deny acknowledging a piece of software regardless of how good it may be, because you think we are purely here for honor by association.
Allow me to remind you how this started: I asked in my previous thread to have Password Locket's security tested by seeing if there was anyone on this site who could break its encryption in that FBI, CIA, NSA movie style way as we don't know of individuals or groups in our own country capable of doing so,
This then devolved into a lengthy dialog wherein I along with my company and developer became the object of your and a few other members ridicule to the point of it becoming personal at some times, which indicated bias toward me or my company.

We then decided to release KtxMnu to the general public due to it being a very handy utility already given for free to a few of our clients and the fact that it is one tiny app a backend company like ourselves can use to showcase ourselves to wide range of standard windows users.
When we considered that KtxMnu does not "suffer" from the two factors that seemed to be the "reason" for your bias in the previous thread: the two factors was that we did not provide source code for Password Locket and our UI for it was scrutinized.

Being a pro backend company tend to make us accept criticism about our UI when reasonable. To this end we thought KtxMnu was excellent as an alternate to evaluating your opinion of other software we can offer that eliminates the factors that appeared to have influenced your bias in the previous thread.

You are right however in your claim that if this site endorses this app (KtxMnu) then it would give it a boost by virtue of honor by association, however that was not our initial plan. As pointed out, we initially wanted Password Locket's security verified in a black box tested fashion, which eventually evolved to this current situation.
So, if we are seen as wanting acknowledgment for a piece of good software, then color us guilty like the rest of this world.
@Duthomhas:
It is an unpleasant experience to have your efforts evaluated as less than stellar, especially the first few times. It takes years of dedication and a whole lot of being humbled before you become awesome.

This is not the first time we release software or that my developer and his associates are new to this field. As pointed out, KtxMnu was designed and distributed only to certain clients whom have found this to be an excellent piece of software.
We have also given it to a university student working at one of the local companies over holiday periods who also happens to be a client of ours. When this student create a few console based apps for a particular supervisor in that company, he was able to add these apps to the supervisors right click menu which impressed the bosses even more.
If you can put your biased, condescending attitude aside for one moment and look at KtxMnu or the videos released on it you may also see it to be excellent software and realize that the cplusplus.com community can only benefit from it as well.

Looking over your profile on this site and noting your diligence to helping newbies and your influence over them makes this situation sad in that you may be denying them the exact opportunity the newbie/first year student we referenced above had.

Even if you don't like me or my company for the previous thread, you still don't have to act all condescending and dismissive about software you never even looked at.
As said, this software might just up the game for any newbie and by that token will up the game for anyone else also.
Acting all snubby the way you doing right now isn't very professional and beneficial to this site.
That is very bad advice as you run the risk of breaking your systems registry which is ultimately a very bad thing.

Not if you know what you're doing. You'd really have to go out of your way to break your registry.

Checkout the videos in the links provided above. These might show you where things went wrong/misunderstood on your side as well as show you how easy it is to update with changes and functionality that would otherwise be very difficult or near impossible to achieve without it.

Not the point. I've never had to do this for any other software, meaning it's highly un-intuitive.

The front end however will not be the selling point of this app, instead it will rather be based upon the encryption and security implemented and on those grounds, anyone who knows their stuff and buys this app will be buying an excellent piece of software.

Anyone who knows their stuff would want a good encryption that was made through years of research and tested vigorously. You WANT a good I/O so you can sell it to people who DON'T know their stuff.

So you will deny acknowledging a piece of software regardless of how good it may be, because you think we are purely here for honor by association.

You know that's not what he said.

If you can put your biased, condescending attitude aside for one moment and look at KtxMnu or the videos released on it you may also see it to be excellent software and realize that the cplusplus.com community can only benefit from it as well.

If someone who is computer literate needs a video to learn how to use it, it's NOT good software. I figured out programs that actually do complex things (Photoshop, Luminar, Camtasia, etc..) without a single video. Your applications don't even have that many options and were seriously frustrating to use.

Also, cplusplus.com wouldn't benefit anything.

Acting all snubby the way you doing right now isn't very professional and beneficial to this site.

No one here works for the site. People come here for help, people help them in their free time. That's all there is to it. People like Duthomhas are trustworthy sources as they've been doing this for probably longer than I've been alive and you should take into account what's being said by him and others.
@zapshe:
People like Duthomhas are trustworthy sources as they've been doing this for probably longer than I've been alive and you should take into account what's being said by him and others.

My developer and some of those whom he collaborate with are also very seasoned individuals in IT and other related fields. If you refer back to my previous posts/statements you will note that we (myself and other individuals from/involved with ShanKoDev) did not make "negative" assumptions about Duthomhas. In actual fact we actually regarded him on a higher level than he even placed himself (note that we asked if he was able to crack passwords in the super professional manner that you really only see in the movies - to which he replied NO).

Clearly if you consider that piece of dialog you should agree that our tone was one of respect and high regard.

Conversely however, he assumed my developer along with his collaborators to be relatively unskilled in the encryption/security fields thereby warning me/ShanKoDev about the dangers about operating in this field without the relevant required abilities - to which I eventually responded that we understand and completely take the risk upon ourselves as any professional who has been operating in a particular field for a very long time.

We meant no disrespect saying this
Pages: 123