I just can't stop laughing...

Pages: 12
I recently started posting at daniweb and my eyes caught a strangely titled thread in the lounge
section, that turned out to be something entirely different than one would imagine. IMO, the OP
is simply amazing. I really love the guy. Honestly. But I won't say more. Just see for yourselves:

http://www.daniweb.com/community-center/geeks-lounge/threads/368832

In case you want to search the forum for other similar posts, the guy's original username is serkan sendur.
"There is a book about evolution of sex named Red Queen. It touches also how different female brain than male's and gives examples like for women it is difficult to rotate a map in their mind and so forth."
If that piece of information is true, it's interesting! That thread was, well I'm not sure if it's too strange or not strange enough to say it's "strange".... how strange, hmm. What word fits this?
My reaction:

"... ... ...!?? Wtf?"
*sigh* Pubescent males with rampaging ids. I have no comment about that thread.

-Albatross
haha don't you sigh at us males, if I could think of something smarter than get back in the kitchen, I'd certainly hit back at you.
"There is a book about evolution of sex named Red Queen. It touches also how different female brain than male's and gives examples like for women it is difficult to rotate a map in their mind and so forth."
If that piece of information is true, it's interesting!
I've read something related to that the other day. It was in a report about the presence of women in science and technology fields in the US.
They gave beginning engineering students a short test with questions such as "which of the following is a rotated version of this object?" Women were something like three times as likely to fail the test as men.
The author hypothesized that it was because boys are more likely to play with construction bricks and similar toys, which heightens their 3D reasoning.
After giving the students who failed, a short course on 3D reasoning (I don't quite remember what methods they used in the course), the difference between men and women was greatly reduced.
I can post the link, if you want.

In case you're wondering, I was looking for theories on why there are so few women in CS-related fields, when they were so common back in the early days. Some researchers suggest a link to social stigmas and stereotypes; others point out that women seem more inclined to consider the computer as a tool to get other things done and not as a valuable research subject in itself, while not denying that stereotypes may play a role in it. It's all very interesting stuff.
Last edited on
helios wrote:
I can post the link, if you want.

Yes, do that.
The one with the chapter on 3D skills was this one:
http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/whysofew.cfm
(I can't read the title without thinking of the Joker. Thank you, Internet.)

In this one, they interviewed girls in a focus group:
http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/TechSavvy.pdf
Jump to page 16 (7, following page numbers), also search "The Tool/Toy Divide", which is a couple pages later.
well then...

lololol
About the 3D rotation thing... it isn't a gender-specific trait, it is a gender-specific skill, meaning that girls are not taught to do 3D rotations in their brains as boys; hence, the difference.
I was just reading that in a book about game programming called "A Theory of Fun" 0_0
I don't even understand?

Duoas +1. This IS a skill not a trait. My little sister is less then two years younger then me and less then four years from our older brother so we grew up pretty close. She has never had any trouble with things like spacial relations or measuring by reference. It actually bothers me when other women do, so I'll be reading those articles to see if it shines some light on why this is the case.

I've always thought there were fewer women in the programming field because of:

A.) The social stigma of being a "Computer Nerd" locked in your parents basement and bashing on the keyboard all night.

B.) The tendancey of geeks to be "aggressive" toward each other. This was true in college, when I used to run cables for new networks and is true now in the office that I currently work at so I can imagine it's also true with proffesional programmers as well.
A) I never really understood why people turn the causality chain around. Why think that liking computers will turn you into a social outcast, when it's much more reasonable to think that social outcasts are more likely to like computers?

B) Aggressive how? Like making fun of you when you say something stupid, like arguing passionately about things that don't matter, or something else entirely?
A.) Maybe "stigma" was the wrong word, but the stereotype is there at the very least. Think about how a person who doesn't really know you might describe a "hacker" and not realise who they are talking to.

B.) Yes, that's it exactly. Don't get me wrong I thrive in this kind of environment but I'm a guy.
A.) Maybe "stigma" was the wrong word, but the stereotype is there at the very least. Think about how a person who doesn't really know you might describe a "hacker" and not realise who they are talking to.

Darn movies.

Gernaric action movie said: Alright guys, I'm in! Took me longer than normal this go. Almost at 18 seconds that time!
Last edited on
B) I don't think there's any environment where humans interact where that doesn't happen. The thing is that what is stupid and what is trivial changes when you're not part of the group. Someone who sees a group of people screaming at each other about how to indent lines in a text file will conclude that they're deranged, just like a nerd etc. sports etc.
Lol! That just made my morning, well said helios.
Actually you guys made me laugh. I am serkan sendur. i had 2500 posts on that website and i am the only featured poster yet the banned one. i don't know why
m4ster r0shi loves me though. He must have followed me in my other threads there. I don't use my original name any where any more. So it is hard to follow me as i change my name so often. But those changes come along with my personal changes. I die personally and then reborn under another name and personality. I am about to create a technical diary for my self to trace what i learn each day. I think that will be the only place that i use my original name. I have a lot of hobbies. primarily water sports. everything i love involves %50 percent women. i eat at certain places %50 for the good food and %50 percent for the waitresses. when i go to wakeboarding i love the sport it self %50 and %50 percent i love the 20 year old girls displaying their gluten muscles and legs. I am honest. i sometimes enjoy the adrenalin of honesty when i should not be honest. But it hurt people, so i don't do it much any more. I have a strong respect and love for my self. And i enjoy loving anything. I love many girls and women and i don't deny my true nature. Many of them are lovely.
Hello, Serkan Sendur! Welcome to the cplusplus forum \(^o^)/
Pages: 12