Nootropics...

Pages: 12
Anyone ever hear of these type of "smart drugs" before? I want to take them to help me on my programming studies. I have been studying on them for the past few months.

I started with ginkgo biloba and choline, but that is not enough. Yes, I am thinking clearer and much faster than I have beforehand, but I need something more since I am doing my C++ studies.

Piracetam!

I know my nootropics (AKA smart drugs), and read that noobs should take piracetam with choline (I take lecithin, a type of choline, which paired with any racetam is said to help out).

I'm suppose to be recieving my piracetam next week, let's see how this goes!

CJ
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Programmers don't just drink copious amounts of coffee anymore?
A few of my study colleagues used ritalin (or similar ADHD medication) to boost their concentration. All of them crashed after some time.

Regardless of what you take, it will always take its toll on your health. Use them for a few days during crunch-time if you really must, but they are not long-term solutions.
closed account (4z0M4iN6)
@Gaminic
Please look at your inbox and don't forget to send CodeMonkey a message.
darkestfright wrote:
Programmers don't just drink copious amounts of coffee anymore?

Caffeine is also a drug. One with quite severe side-effects/consequences.

People often forget that because most of the population is addicted to it like it was crack.
Coffee also has beneficial effects on the heart when you drink it in moderation. Go figure.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
dadabe wrote:
Please look at your inbox and don't forget to send CodeMonkey a message.
What do you want?
@ CodeMonkey:

This thread is making you look like a drug dealer. Haw.

darkestfright wrote:
Coffee also has beneficial effects on the heart when you drink it in moderation. Go figure.

Most drugs have both positive and negative effects. The question becomes whether the benefits outweigh the harm.

In caffeine's case, I'd say there's no way it's worth it.

Caffeine hightens stress and anxiety levels, and often leads to depression. Modern America's answer to this isn't simply to cut down on caffeine, but rather... they say you have a "chemical imbalance" and they stick you on Zoloft.

It's gotten so bad that it's almost an epidemic. If you look at how many people are taking some kind of mood-altering perscription drug, it's actually kind of terrifying. I'm not saying caffeine is entirely to blame, but it's certainly a heavy contributor (processed foods and fast food is also a big contributor).

And really, nobody takes it seriously. We guzzle it like it's nothing, and even pump it down our kids' throats. When you take a step back and look at it... it's actually really scarey what's going on.
Last edited on
I drink 2 cups of coffee in a day (literally, 8 ounces of coffee, twice a day). One in the morning, and one after lunch. My anxiety and stress levels are just fine. You only start to see problems when people start drinking those jumbo sized coffee and espressos from Starbucks (21oz...seriously, wtf) multiple times a day. Pair that with this new Energy Drink craze with these giant cans of caffeinated drinks with Taurine and other garbage and obviously things are going to go bad.
I agree.
darkestfright wrote:
I drink 2 cups of coffee in a day (literally, 8 ounces of coffee, twice a day). One in the morning, and one after lunch.

On a normal day I'll just drink a 14oz mug of coffee over the course of a few hours in the morning. However, I'm really into fancy espresso drinks so every once in a while I'll make my self something neat. Like a drink that is 2 parts espresso, 1 part milk foam, a splash of orange liquor, and topped with a black cherry.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
C8H10N4O2 rocks.

I drink lots of coffee in a day and I AM NOT STRESSED! What was that? did anyone here a noise?

The other day, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today, I think he's from the CIA.
I've never drank coffee and have no plans to start, though I do drink a lot of soda and have for over 20 years. Caffeine (at least the amount I drink) has little to no affect on me anymore.
Off-topic: Up until about 3 months ago my daily ingestion included 60mg of Adderall XR, 8 oz. of redbull, at least one candy bar or pop-tart and about 2 pints of this crap coffee my company buys in bulk with I don't know how many scoops of sugar. Crashing from that was a frigging train wreck. I'm going back on the Adderall in about a week, I need it because I have ADD pretty bad. IMO if you can avoid any "overclocking" as it were then you are better off.
naraku9333 wrote:
Caffeine (at least the amount I drink) has little to no affect on me anymore.

There is no way you could possibly know this, as you've been injesting caffeine regularly for 20 years. You have no baseline to compare to.

I was a Mountain Dew drinker for my teens through my mid 20s. Like most people, I didn't think it was a big deal. When I decided to quit a little over 2 years ago, it was amazing how much better my life became.
I've gone over a week only drinking caffeine free soda without any noticable effect (I used to get headaches without the caffeine). Granted its not scientific but I truly don't feel dependent on it as I once did.

Edit: I do completely agree it is unhealthy and is on my list off things to quit so my son doesn't end up with the same bad habits as me.
Last edited on
The amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee or can of redbull is much, much higher than a can of Pepsi or other caffeinated soda.
Anyone have any scientific studies to back any of this up?

Last I heard, there were no physical dangers linked to coffee (or caffeine in general), nor any addictive qualities. It does lead to mental addiction ("I need it to function!").

Of course, it's very difficult to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if the supposed long term effects of coffee/caffeine are actually the long term effect of the reason they drink coffee. People drink coffee because they need to focus, work harder or stay up longer. Working harder and staying up longer? Sounds like prime suspects for your anxiety, stress and depression.

I don't think it's coffee that causes these things; it's our way of life and work. Coffee and similar substances are for those days you really need that 110%. If every day is a 110% day, you shouldn't be surprised about your sudden stress, burnouts and depression. And you shouldn't blame the coffee.

A wise man once said:
"Regardless of what you take, it will always take its toll on your health. Use them for a few days during crunch-time if you really must, but they are not long-term solutions."

That was me. I said that. I'm calling myself a wise man now.

...don't judge me.
Last edited on
Pages: 12