Computer Issues

Today I started up my computer and tried to log in (Windows 7). The "Welcome" message was rather delayed and when it finally disappeared I was stuck on a black screen with only a mouse cursor.

Ctrl Alt Del didn't do anything (it brought up the menu after a while but task manager wouldn't ever show). I could log out but logging in again produced the same issue. If I kept logging in and out it seemed like it would eventually work and function normally.

I thought it might've been be HDD because when it was lagging I usually heard something trying to spin up then stopping, and the times it did work I heard something spinning up without the sudden stop. However chkdsk didn't give me any errors on read...

I checked around on the internet and there doesn't seem to be a clear solution to the issue. Someone seemed to think it was a BIOS problem somehow so I'm going to try resetting that next time I restart, but I'm not too confident anything will happen.

Anyone else ever get this or have suggestions on what to check?
Check the fans, that happens on my laptop when I forget to plug in the external fans (@#$% Toshiba, crap fans died 3 months after I got it), and if nothing wrong there, it might me something in the OS itself that crashed, like an accidental removal of a file. No idea how to check if it is that, though...
Could be a head crash. You might want to run a full surface scan.
Laptop or Desktop or VM?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
If you can; get a linux live disk and boot from that (Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 could be worth getting hold of). You should then be able test the hardware and scan the HDD for viruses etc.

What is the computer?
Laptop or Desktop or VM?

Laptop.

Could be a head crash. You might want to run a full surface scan.

Any programs/utilities that you suggest? Free is definitely preferable, heh.

If you can; get a linux live disk and boot from that (Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 could be worth getting hold of). You should then be able test the hardware and scan the HDD for viruses etc.

Ran a scan using Spybot, didn't get anything. Gonna have to go grab some virus scanner or something and see if it finds anything.

What is the computer?

It's a Toshiba; a couple years old at least.

Also, I tried going back to a restore point about a week ago and it the same issue was occurring so I don't think it's a problem with the system files.

As long as I don't restart/shut it down it doesn't seem to have any problems, which is somewhat strange...when I try to sleep/hibernate/shut down though, it usually just black screens (monitor turns off) but eventually it'll just turn off and when I turn it back on it gives me "Windows failed to shut down correctly."

When I get back in it gives me a "Windows recovered from an error" with a BSOD code of 9f which seems to be some sort of a graphics card/driver issue. Could the graphics card screwing up be causing the problem?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
That sounds like a driver issue, not handling power changes properly.

may help:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/driverpowerstatefailure-0x0000009f/0940e818-d06f-489e-b377-a0ca24e4f6bc
Last edited on
Well, I looked more into the 9f errors and I found out that the error code is an 0x3 which apparently means "A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time." (From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559329%28v=VS.85%29.aspx)

That kind of makes sense since the computer seems to hang for a while when I shut it down and then it just dies after a bit.

Going to run the Driver Verifier as suggested and see what it finds...

EDIT:
Ok, well the Driver Verifier didn't find any problems. I did go to Toshiba's website and install their latest display driver and it seemed to sort of fix some of the problem. The login sequence is still slow but it doesn't seem to be going to a black screen w/ mouse cursor anymore.

However the computer is now lagging really badly after login for a while. If I wait like 30 minutes then it seems to be ok and runs fine but before that it lags when I try to do anything including click icons on my desktop or bring up the start bar. Unfortunately this problem sounds really generic so google isn't helping much. :/
Last edited on
As of now, it's still lagging. Going to run memtest to see if my RAM is bad...if it's not that then I really have no idea what to do except reinstall Windows. Dunno if I even have a reinstall disc anywhere...
Or, you could simply write your own operating system...
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
simply write your own operating system...

Yeah...simple.
Oh, right... "One does not simply write your own operating system..."
Sorry, I forgot.
Last edited on
I came here to lol to L B's comment and to tell LowestOne that sleep/hibernate/shutdown is a mode on a computer.

Sleep = Go to sleep and use less energy to run. Cancel Power Using things.

Hibernate = Do a hardcore version of Sleep :)

Shutdown = Get down son? wth...

Oh and AVG is an anti virus software and it is a piece of shitaki moooshrooms.
Besides, it would be hard to uninstall it if you could not login in the first place... although you could :P

Best of luck(like always)

Prototype
Last edited on
Well, I uninstalled Norton (apparently I never got around to removing that) and it seemed to fix it...

It was still lagging really badly though.

I eventually got sick of it and did a hard shutdown. Chkdsk ran and removed from some corrupt entries which seemed to be like preferences and stuff since Firefox and some other programs lost a bunch of settings. Now the lag is gone though so I *think* the problem is fixed...

I hope. :P
@ prototype151: I know what they are, I've never felt that Windows' sleep/hibernate should be used. Broke our first XP computer in early 2000's, haven't looked back. Pretty worthless if you ask me.

I shut down my "get it done" computer every day, the "download stuff" one gets turned off once a month, maybe (We're counting the days on that Inspiron 2560).
Nothing's wrong with sleep/hibernate. All that happens is the contents of memory get dumped to disk (in a file called hyberfil.sys), the system shuts down, and then when it boots it copies the data on the disk back into memory.
I've never felt that Windows should be used. Broke our first computer in early 2000's, haven't looked back. Pretty worthless if you ask me.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.