To all cplusplus active answerers

Pages: 12
Last Update: 28 dec 2012
Ever wondered how you could hold all of your favourite, common links every newbie asks for, like std::vector, or why system is evil, in a single collection?
Here it is, a really really small utility that, simple as it is, shows a combo-box, asking you for the article you are looking for and copies it to the clipboard or opens the link!

Demo screen:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83943521/cppLinksApp/DemoScreen.png

Executable and Config File:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83943521/cppLinksApp/cppLinks.zip

Project Folder:
http://www.dropbox.com/sh/eaea42vbp4v59me/6eTwYQ42OB/cppLinksApp

To compile the project you require the SGHLib correctly configured.
You can find the SourceForge page in my account infos.

Details:
1 File (Main.cpp)
Main.cpp -> 115 Lines

The file that holds links is named "Links.ini".

Example:
Google Test~http://www.google.com
CPlusPlus.com~http://www.cplusplus.com

Update: Now "Run" button added.
Uses ShellExecute, no worries with system.
Beware, in Links.ini there can be applications and they will be ran properly, or their path will be copied properly if Copy is chosen.

If your path contains the tilde character, it will be correctly written. Only the first tilde character will be taken out.

So: No tildes in the Description of a link.
Last edited on
Great app, problem is that even with the search function on this site they still ask the same questions. I'm guessing that with that program you would still see little to no change in the amount of threads for that.

Still worth making it as I know a lot will still find it useful. Sadly, I have no articles to add at this time :(.
It's made for answerers, so they won't have to search the same things again and again (I personally had to google many times for "How to use code tags" and "Why system is evil").
Also questioners can use it, obviously. Just a little bit of time for perfectioning, and custom links will be ready.
!praise EssGeEich for the idea
*bot gives EssGeEich a cigar for the idea
I don't smoke, can I get 5$ instead of the cigar? Lol nice to see it looks useful to your eyes.
EDIT: Should I remove built-ins and add the relative Links.ini default file, and pack it in a zip/rar archive?

RE-EDIT: And oh, Memsetrry Christmas.
Last edited on
EssGeEich wrote:
It's made for answerers, so they won't have to search the same things again and again (I personally had to google many times for "How to use code tags" and "Why system is evil").
Also questioners can use it, obviously. Just a little bit of time for perfectioning, and custom links will be ready.

That is what I was saying the problem is. I've been a part of a.cc for 11 years and in that time they have had the same question asked at least 30 times a year. Even if they had the application for Allegro, I'm sure there would still see people ask the question and admit they had the program. I google for everything before posting a question, but sad fact is that there are a lot of users that don't bother googling, running an application, or anything before posting. The tags is another example, have a thread dedicated to proper posting on this forum (and normally on all forums), but very few bother reading them. One word, laziness, they are lazy and just want the help without the effort of finding it.

They won't use your application, but guys like me and ne555 will most likely use it. As I said, I'm just sorry that I can't think of anything worth adding to it. Well you could add an Allegro option that says "Run to SDL or SFML! NOW!" :P

[EDIT]
Sorry, I know I'm confusing. I am trying to praise you even though I obviously suck at it.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
App Updated.
BHXSpecter wrote:
hey won't use your application, but guys like me and ne555 will most likely use it.

That was the main purpose of the program, actually.

BHXSpecter wrote:
Well you could add an Allegro option that says "Run to SDL or SFML! NOW!" :P

What did you mean? Like, the link to SDL or SFML website/Wiki/Tutorials?
You can already do that with the config file (Read first post, have been edited)
Also Maybe I should add a "Run" option in the window.

BHXSpecter wrote:
[EDIT]
Sorry, I know I'm confusing. I am trying to praise you even though I obviously suck at it.

Nah, I got it. ^^
Last edited on
> but guys like me and ne555 will most likely use it
To clarify, I would not use it.
It's an exe (windows only), and has a bothersome GUI

But the idea is pretty good, and would like to see a bot in the page to implement it
(no javascript please)
ne555 wrote:
To clarify, I would not use it.
It's an exe (windows only), and has a bothersome GUI

The GUI is windows', lol, no big tweaks have been done.
Sincerely, If I was going to use all the exes I made myself, I'd have my desktop full of links to every program I made.
But I prefer to navigate through the project folders instead of googling something, depending on my mood.

ne555 wrote:
But the idea is pretty good, and would like to see a bot in the page to implement it

Is it a request to Me or to our Website Admin?

Anyways, I think it's clear I'm not forcing anyone to use it, I made this as an utility and you are free to use it or not, I will not bother if you want to google instead, or do not want to reply at all, lol.
Last edited on
The exe runs just fine in wine for me. Sorry apparently I had a Dr. Seuss moment.

The only thing I would change, and I'm assuming this is the program. Don't let it exit after loading the page. Easier to load it and be able to load each article without having to reload the program each time.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
You should add an article, "why you shouldn't run untrusted executables.".
Last edited on
iseeplusplus wrote:
You should add an article, "why you shouldn't run untrusted executables.".

Are you referring to my executable?
Because There's also a Screenshoot, and BHXSpecter said the program behaved well on wine.

Anyways, whatever, feel free not-to-use-it.
Last edited on
Why not post the code?
naraku9333 wrote:
Why not post the code?

Because anyways it only works with my SGHLib. Wanna see the code anyways? So, well, It's time to reveal all secrets of it.
Here's the dropbox page for all the files of the program:
http://www.dropbox.com/sh/eaea42vbp4v59me/6eTwYQ42OB/cppLinksApp

You have the exe, the Main.cpp/Links.h and the Updated screenshot.

Now just give me some time, I'll be reuploading the screenshot, updating the links on the main page, and updating the SGHLib (Again) on sourceforge.

@BHXSpecter: I'll be working on that next when I'll have free time. No lag at this time of the day here, I'll be on CoD or GMod atm, sorry.
Just out of curiosity, why do you use your FastArray<> class instead of std::vector, is it really faster?
Just give it a try (Define H_TDIF and use TimePoint class)
My tests have been done with MSVC10. Also FastArray 'abuses' memcpy instead of using assignment operator when enlarging, but mostly: It supports up-to-8 constructor parameters, avoiding copyconstruction and making the program obviously faster, and avoiding for non-copiable classes to be used with it. Cool huh?
closed account (zb0S216C)
I like the idea of an off-line source of reference. However, I'm not really a fan of executables for this soft of thing. I think searching through a forum (through the search function) is pretty much the same as searching through the menu-items of your application.

P.S:
EssGeEich wrote:

void DeleteBorderSpaces(StreamW& Other, const bool& bMoveBegin = 1, const bool& bMoveEnd = 1) 

This bugs me to the point of grey hair growth -- remove those references.

Wazzak
Last edited on
The StreamW is a reference because it must be a reference, bMoveBegin and bMoveEnd are const-references and they wont hurt anyone.

(Edited from PC to look like a decent post)
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
True, but the same can't be said for performance. Still, I'm just being picky. You can disregard my opinion if you wish; no worries :)

Also, the "StreamW" is better to be passed by reference.

Wazzak
StreamW, to enforce your opinion, MUST be passed by reference as it gets edited.
In this context, adding or removing the const-reference of the booleans shouldnt do anything, or does it?
It only 'fastens' performance when a variable goes through, but as long as it receives constants its behaviour is the same as 'bool'. Am I wrong?

This is my View of references:
Param Type  | Const-Input-Behaviour | Var-Input-Behaviour
By Value    | Copy Input            | Copy Input
By Ref      | Error                 | Pass Input
By ConstRef | Copy Input            | Pass Input

See what I think it means?

No performance difference, in my opinion.

(Edited from PC to look like a decent post)
Last edited on
Pages: 12