Doing homework for money

Pages: 12
I like that there is the policy of not directly doing homework for other people, but the post in the jobs section made me waver. It doesn't feel right but I could have easily made some money.
What are your thoughts on this?
I would say the policy should stay the same whether money is offered or not.

The last thing the world needs is more mediocre programmers with degrees just because someone else did all of the work for them. (Of course I have no problems with people asking for 'help' on homework though).
Everyone's goal in life should be to benefit society for the long term.

I don't think doing people's homework for them is benefiting society for the long term.
Doing someone's work for them is shallow enough and taking money for it makes you even lower. If they can't do the work on their own, then they need to talk to their instructor to get help, not have others do it because it will bite them on the ass when they have to do anything in class. If you do it for them, when the time comes to do it in class they will have learned nothing and fail.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I agree. Doing someones homework for them is just hurting them in the long run. Sure they will graduate with their degree and maybe a get a job but once that company figures out they dont know anything about what they are suppose to do they will fire them. I dont know why people spend thousands of dollarsto go to college yet dont even want to learn. Just because you have a degree ddoesn't mean you will have a good job you have to have the skills to back it up.
Last edited on
L B wrote:
Everyone's goal in life should be to benefit society for the long term.

Why?
@chrisname my guess is that doing things for the greater good is more likely to make the world a more bearable place for everyone.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Can't help but think of Hot Fuzz when you said "the greater good". It'd be all of a matter of opinion what is actually for the greater good or benefit to society. Someone trying to cause the extinction of the human race as they believe they are killing the planet (in the sense of it being able to support life) so to them that might be for the greater good of the species which might follow. Of course other people might see this as twisted instead.

I don't think doing people's homework for them is benefiting society for the long term.

I don't think people ending up on the street is beneficial to society either.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
"Programmer Bob who outsourced his job was a model modern employee
A star programmer fired for outsourcing his own job has learned a harsh lesson: exploitation is a job for employers, not staff..."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/17/sacked-model-modern-employee-outsourcing
You hear about that guy who just outsourced his own job? well maybe thats just the same as using a program like qt to do your c++ homework for you.
everyones goal in life is supposed to be to make more money, its only a matter of time til this is taught at schools these days, turning down legal oppertunities to make money makes you a slacker and a hippy and a communist
closed account (z05DSL3A)
devonrevenge wrote:
You hear about that guy who just outsourced his own job?
No...tell me more.
Well you should everyones talking about him... :P

I saw what you wrote, I thought i deleted that i must have posted it instead :/

thas why theres two posts.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
turning down legal oppertunities to make money makes you a slacker and a hippy and a communist

That sentence makes no sense at all. First I have no idea what you mean by turning down a legal opportunity? But what I think you were trying to say is that if you try and make money you are a slacker? What? ohh and a hippy which is the complete opposite usually then someone trying to make money. And I have no clue where the communist thing comes into play.

everyones goal in life is supposed to be to make more money, its only a matter of time til this is taught at schools these days

Is it a bad thing to have a goal to make money? Everyone's goals in life are not to make money. For some people its to raise a family in a good home, for others it to change the world in some way. Almost anything you want to accomplish in life requires some sort of currency to do it. So yes I believe we should teach are kids to reach for success.
Turning down a legal opportunity to make money (i.e., selling crack is not a legal opportunity) apparently qualifies you as a slacker, hippy, and a communist.

What the Lehman Brothers firm did was legal, but it definitely wasn't moral. They had an opportunity to make money, but I don't think that a lot of people would screw the country over like they did just for the sake of money. Just because you turn down the opportunity to make money that doesn't make you a slacker. By your logic, turning down an offer of $50 to kill a child is the wrong thing to do because, hey, money's money, right?

Additionally:
everyones goal in life is supposed to be to make more money

That's a very sad way to live.
Last edited on
chrisname wrote:
Why?
Because I can't think of any other point to life :p
Last edited on
I was playing Zereo, theres an effed up government rhetoric at the moment its about strivers and skivers,

Basically the strivers are the people who have been working hard and have practically nothing after rent and bills.

The skivers are the 'lazy' people who are on benefits and are finding hard to get a job or 'don't want to work'

And our more bigoted tabloid papers are starting to single out groups who arn't of hard working ethic as slackers, hippies and in rare cases commies as if they were bad things.

Our schools have also been targeted by the tories, They want to change the system in order to create a curriculum that will pump out more workers and not so much intellectuals and academics.

Unfortunately this will look a bit too much like only privileged kids will get the opportunity to get a well paid job, they had to do a U turn on this thanks to the critisism they got but they will try again, concervatism is about re-defining class in a more old fasion way im not sure if they do it on purpose or not.

I was just being cynical about the way of things, I was sort of saying we are expected to sell out these days

EDIT: I was bein sarcastic originaly, and i know thats all ways been the way since the industrial revolution but these guys are making it much much worse, they want to bring back chimney sweeps and house staff i tell you.

EDIT:Im really not used to people listening to what im saying spose i should think more :/
Last edited on
And our more bigoted tabloid papers are starting to single out groups who arn't of hard working ethic as slackers, hippies and in rare cases commies as if they were bad things.
I'm not sure of what you're getting at, now. Before you said that being a slacker was a bad thing, now you're saying that tabloids who are reflecting your point of view are "bigoted"?

They want to change the system in order to create a curriculum that will pump out more workers and not so much intellectuals and academics.
That's been the goal of schools since the industrial revolution. You're a bit late to the party.

Unfortunately this will look a bit too much like only privileged kids will get the opportunity to get a well paid job
This has always been true, to some extent.

I have done homework for money maybe four or five times. The people who asked me to do their homework were web programmers, but in the 1st semester they have to study C which is not interesting for them at all. All those homework exercises were related to all kinds linked lists, data structures, binary trees, etc. When I asked one of them "Will you need help with java or php?" he replied "No, that's interesting stuff"

Of course it would be much better if they had done their homework themselves buuuut I couldn't miss an easy opportunity to make some money. Even if I didn't do their homework, someone else would do.

... I couldn't miss an easy opportunity to make some money. Even if I didn't do their homework, someone else would do.

I wonder if looters in riots use this form of rationalization to soothe the conscience.
Pages: 12