Rating for Windows OS

Pages: 1234
I'm not talking about all programs on the computer. But even if what you need isn't on there, the use of the easy-access search bar will satisfy your needs.

QFT

I find it very easy to find anything... just hit window key and start typing.
Then you'd love the Launcher with Ubuntu 12.04 and Unity.
Then you'd love the Launcher with Ubuntu 12.04 and Unity.

Except my steam account has a little more then 200 games on it, with most of them being windows only.

To my understanding there is a way to make most things work on unix type OS systems... However, I just don't have the time to fuss with everything I install.

And I also have multiple system using both windows 7 and 8, Just to much work to change everything. (Main computer is win 8, TV computer is Win 7 and laptop is win 7). I've also never used anything else other then MS-DOS and Windows. (well I've tryed Apple stuff a few times and hate it)
Last edited on
What are "OS systems"? Another phrase for computer networks?
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
I find it very easy to find anything... just hit window key and start typing.

That's been there since Vista.
You can download Wine on Ubuntu; a software compatibility layer program.

You can use it to run Windows programs on Ubuntu, no virtual machine or emulation of the OS needed, in case you didn't know.

As for program compatibility with Unix-like systems, usually ports are always necessary, but I hardly doubt "most things" would just work on Linux natively, especially if made for Windows or Mac.

Ubuntu is free, so that always catches my eyes, despite having to depend on a Unix-based file hierarchy system, different kernel and software settings/design, and a different executable format(ELF).

You can partition one of your drives, and a dedicated bootloader can give boot-options for either a Linux partition, or a Windows one, etc.

GRUB is definitely dedicated.

What are "OS systems"? Another phrase for computer networks?

Operating System systems :P

I was not paying attention when I was typing it, nor do I really care...

I am very happy with Windows, so even if Ubuntu as an easy way to run Windows made games/software, I don't see why I should waste time changing.
Oh, haha, I had not even realized it was a typo - I actually thought it was a real phrase.

And yes, Windows is a pretty horrid OS, but a lot of software works on it and it is easy to just grab a laptop, install a bunch of software, and then start developing for yourself or your company.

I just hope that one day computer technology will be to the point where better operating systems will actually be better options in a majority of cases.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
And yes, Windows is a pretty horrid OS, but a lot of software works on it and it is easy to just grab a laptop, install a bunch of software, and then start developing for yourself or your company.

How are modern iterations of Windows "horrid"?
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
The permissions system is still rather redundant on your common desktop.
It's still completely closed-source.
You have no control over whether or not Windows something with your desktop or not such as sending information and what not.
You have no control over most of the desktop menu such as changing the start menu icons. This requires a patch of a Windows resource which will fail Microsoft CRC checks if changed.
You are required to still pay a hefty price for the OS.

Hell, even in Windows 8, it's a complete pain getting rid of the Metro system when in actuality, you cannot get rid of it, you just hide it. It lacks flexibility and choice from the interface.
Last edited on
Could this be the reason that open-source Linux is going widespread?

From what I can gather, Linux is:

1.Free. No gimmicks, no joke. The real gift horse of a software system.

2.Easy to modify for some programmers.

3.Capable of building off of(you can make a nice GUI over the kernel and basically have the foundation of a working OS in half the time).

4.Open-source, most can change stuff, add stuff, etc.

In the last ten years at least thousands and thousands more people have switched to, or are actively using Linux-based operating systems(those with Linux as the kernel).

But yeah, if you're paying top-dollar for an OS (hundreds in some cases), at least make it worth every cent.

Massive billionaire companies like Microsoft can lose the battle to Linux, simply at the cost of nothing in exchange(get it?).
Yeah, because 2013 is *finally* going to be the year of the Linux desktop!
I would definitely buy a retail Linux PC.
I wouldn't buy anything unless it came with a manufacturer warranty or some assurance, and/or if it's very reasonable in price(That means "cheap" to me).

I don't expect professional customer service or replacements for hardware on Ubuntu desktop, simply because I didn't pay anything for it(I just paid for the motherboard and parts to use it on)!

If you pay more than $500.00 for a desktop/laptop/tablet/smartphone/etc. it better come with at least two years warranty, or it better be unbelievably worth it.
@darkestfright
Linux has pretty much cornered the server and embedded markets and now there's the smartphone market which is overwhelmingly (70%) Android (Linux). Also, Valve just officially released Steam for Linux and had a huge sale (50% off of all Linux-compatible games). If other game developers follow suite and port their games to Linux, then we could indeed finally see "the year of the Linux desktop".

[edit: but probably not this year]
Last edited on
It's the same story every year. "We have all of these markets! Now that we have <insert new linux thing here> it'll happen for real this time!" Far too many people are overestimating Steam as the lynchpin here. It's really not that big of a deal, sure it'll make Valve and some devs a few extra dollars but it's hardly going to trigger a mass exodus from Windows to Linux -- Windows has far too much other things going for it. Hell, even with Steam, less than 50 of my 200+ Steam games are "supported" and a bunch of even the supported games fail to start. I see no reason to ever switch over to my Ubuntu partition to play a game.

I am very happy with Windows, so even if Ubuntu as an easy way to run Windows made games/software, I don't see why I should waste time changing.

This. 90% of general use-cases for operating systems right here.
Last edited on
Well, you have Serious Sam, Valve (and hopefully DotA2... that'll be huge), Blizzard, and so on, not to mention WINE tries to fill in the gaps. For instance, I may use Linux but I still play WoW on a occasion flawlessly through WINE.
Last edited on
In the last ten years at least thousands and thousands more people have switched to, or are actively using Linux-based operating systems(those with Linux as the kernel).

That is an understatement by far.

Last I checked Linux had ~0.8% worldwide share on StatCounter
http://gs.statcounter.com/
(In germany, it's above 2%).

Provided the internet does indeed have 1 billion users, that makes about 7 million users that use Linux as their main OS. Adding dual-booting people, the numbers are well into the tens of millions.

Ubuntu, the Linux I use, claims 20 million+ users (including me and my mom on 4 computers total, + 2 apache servers running Ubuntu and openSUSE respectively).
Last edited on
Blizzard

lol, are you talking about the same Blizzard that banned Diablo 3 players for cheating because they played it with Wine?
Meh... they officially said that don't mean to ban people who play under WINE. I played Diablo 3 during that time and I did not get banned so it makes me wonder...
Pages: 1234