Funniest programming job you've had?

Pages: 12
I was in my health class which is online, I was ahead so I pulled out my laptop and started coding. My health teacher had noticed a girl that had just been playing Solitaire most of the time. She asked me to make a fake Solitaire that would turn off the computer. So I wrote a quit shutdown thing and used reshacker for the logo and wala. Basically I earned brownie points by writing malware for my teacher lol.

I was wondering what some weird jobs you guys have had are.
I don't take odd jobs. I'm only interested in game programming and consider it cheap to bring yourself low enough to write malware. Not to mention, your brownie points could result in you getting kicked out of the class or in major trouble with the school as most schools and universities have rules in place about putting programs or malware on school property. If that girl tells the school's tech guys, they come and find it, your teacher would get in trouble and have to tell that you did it. Your funniest job wasn't worth the risk you took to do it.
1.) I know the girl, she just laughed at it, if I thought she'd complain I wouldn't have wrote it.
2.) It's not like I distributed it to every computer in the building, we just put it on hers, got a laugh, then she deleted it.

Perhaps a university or a bigger school it would be a danger, but none of the staff in the building cared. Most of my teachers already know. They don't look at it like "This guy is a criminal" they looked at it like "This guy is a prankster", similar to putting a woopie cushion under someone.
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
BHXSpecter)
I'm only interested in game programming

Wow, how are you going to learn programming if you refuse to do anything that isn't game programming, and you are taking it too seriously! I have made some similar programs and the IT people know better than anyone that it is just harmless playing around.
Wow, how are you going to learn programming if you refuse to do anything that isn't game programming
Full game programming requires you to practically do everything except write your own kernel and rasterizer. He's not missing out on anything by focusing on games.

In highschool, there were quite a few people messing around with the "shutdown -s -m ..." command, which would remotely shutdown any computer in the building regardless of permissions. I wrote a client/server program to counter this; after remotely executing the client application via the Task Scheduler, I would use the server application to send various commands (display message, control mouse, close application, etc.) I felt like a regular vigilante.
I remember everyone messing with subseven, everyone though this guy was a hacker just cos he popped a disk in at school time and broke everything on his day off, im amazed he still got caught though.

breaking stuff for the sake of its weird psychology, I think you did a good thing though breaking solitaire, it sounds like you should be studying even when your ahead though, people who stop paying attention when they are ahead always fail in succeeding
Last edited on
@Devonrevenge, well, I'd agree except it's a very easy class, and I almost never study for anything anyways, unless it's something like on advanced topic in chemistry and physics, or perhaps I'm reviewing network protocols and types of hashing in security.
do you just have to attend something mindnumingly easy in order to get the grade? I wish they would just let you do the exams emediatley, you could save money and time
it would be good for the economy
Yeah it's a required class. I'd already be done with it if it wasn't for the fact I have to wait until a minimum date to take the tests. Education system is pretty screwed up in my opinion.
Not taking it serious at all. I just know that almost all schools have you sign a technology agreement and in that agreement it says if you install any virus or malware you forfeit your right to use their computers. Not to mention they can chose to take actions against him and the teacher if they found out. Too much risk just to make a student do something other than play games. If they want to fail let them play solitaire.
I agree it's a stupid thing to do. My school is really small and has a unique way of administration. Basically the only thing the principle (who is a technology moron) worries about is people getting past the filter. I'm in with the only tech teacher in the school (I've been taking her classes and we're pretty close) and she didn't care when I told her I was going to do it.
Austin J wrote:
I was in my health class which is online, I was ahead so I pulled out my laptop and started coding. My health teacher had noticed a girl that had just been playing Solitaire most of the time. She asked me to make a fake Solitaire that would turn off the computer. So I wrote a quit shutdown thing and used reshacker for the logo and wala. Basically I earned brownie points by writing malware for my teacher lol.

Austin J wrote:

I agree it's a stupid thing to do. My school is really small and has a unique way of administration. Basically the only thing the principle (who is a technology moron) worries about is people getting past the filter. I'm in with the only tech teacher in the school (I've been taking her classes and we're pretty close) and she didn't care when I told her I was going to do it.

You just contradicted yourself. In your first post you claimed the teacher asked you to make the malware and now you are saying it was your idea. Which is it?

Now as for my focusing on game programming, as NGen pointed out, except for making a kernel and rasterizer I'm not really restricting myself any in regards to programming. I am amazed at how many people think others do limit themselves by learning only one field.
You just contradicted yourself. In your first post you claimed the teacher asked you to make the malware and now you are saying it was your idea. Which is it?

I don't see a contradiction there.

His health teacher asked him to make the code.
He talked to the tech teacher, she didn't care.
He coded it.
@firedraco Thank you for explaining that for me lol.

Now people please quit trying to scold me. The point of this was to see what kind of funny jobs you've had as a programmer.
Oops! I read that as his health teacher was the tech teacher. Though, it is still odd as all my schools and colleges outsourced their tech services and never had a tech teacher. We had computer art teachers, web publishing teachers, and keyboarding teachers, but I knew more about computers and tech then all of them combined. Give you an idea how bad it was, we had the same teacher for Computer Art 2, Web Publishing, and Cartooning and Animation in high school. One day we asked a question in web publishing and his reply was "I don't know, google it and find out. Then tell me." We at first thought this was just a way of getting us to rely on ourselves for the answers, until we realized he really had no idea as he only did the school page in pure html and nothing else. Played a few sound files, movie files, and had images and links on our school page. He was worthless, and passed everyone in all three of those classes even if they did nothing. I passed because I was the tech geek in all three classes so I got my credit for doing his site while he took credit for my work. Last I knew he left to another school and they have since discontinued the classes and site I made that he took credit for.
Yeah that's pretty bad. My teacher is cool and all, but she's literally the only Computer Technology teacher in the entire school. She does PC Support, Networking and Security, Design I and II, Web Development (Mostly just HTML). In my Networking and Security class there's only 2 of us so we just use the TestOut course. Mainly what sucks is there are NO programming classes at all here. You can do markup languages, but no programming. Then of course these annoying girls learning HTML see me doing c++ and are like "Oh what's that?" I tell them it's c++ and they say "I've never heard of that, you must be learning a useless outdated language" I then have to educate them on how what they're learning is not a programming language, the programming languages there are etc. (They don't even really know HTML that well, they mostly use DreamWeaver, and they've never even touched Javascript). It amazes me how there's like 10 - 15 people learning web languages yet I'm the only one in the high school learning a programming language, except for my buddy, who's learning Java.
Now people please quit trying to scold me. The point of this was to see what kind of funny jobs you've had as a programmer.

Welcome to cplusplus.com forums!
Where people can't and won't stay on topic if it's posted in the Lounge.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Welcome to cplusplus.com forums!
Where people can't and won't stay on topic if it's posted in the Lounge.

So true
I don't see the problem with not staying on topic. Threads evolve naturally, and it makes sense to let them go in new directions.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
No problem at all for me when threads go off topic, some of the most interesting debates always seem to happen in threads that go off topic :)
Pages: 12