ChessPlusPlus

Pages: 12345
L B wrote:
Should we create a style guide to which we shall conform?
Sounds good to me though I think we should get input from Thumper and the others since they've written the code so far.
I'll submit the PR and we can discuss it there.

EDIT: https://github.com/naraku9333/ChessPlusPlus/pull/15
Last edited on
I've also noticed that some of us were using different things for tabs :p
I've been ignoring it to this point because I didn't feel like dealing with it. But Yeah, GitHub does choke on a mixture, and so does my IDE.

I'm cool with using either tabs, or tabs converted to four spaces. (i've been using the latter). But either standard works for me.

We should also got to devise a namespace scheme. At the moment everything is thrown into chesspp without much more organization. My next step was to organize bits into things like, chesspp::chess, chesspp::core, chesspp::graphics, chespp::configuration, chespp::utility, etc etc, and then follow the boost convention and have the directory structure match the namespaces.
That's a good idea. Personally I think spaces only would be best. As for directory structure, I vote to separate header files from source files with an "include" directory. That's just my personal preference, though, so it's no big deal if others don't want it.
I've submitted the PR for discussion:
https://github.com/naraku9333/ChessPlusPlus/pull/15
Personally I prefer size 4 tabs to spaces, but most of the project seems to already be 4 spaces.

There are a lot of changes that will need to be made for consistency purposes - discuss!
Development is under way again.

I've created a community organization:
https://github.com/cpluspluscom
We should probably eventually transfer the project there.
I must be completely retarded or something because I've been hiding the fact that for the past few days I have not been able to figure out how to build this project.

I've downloaded CMake, I've downloaded GNU Make, I've downloaded Cygwin, I've googled for hours, I've gotten useless error messages for hours, I've starved for hours.

Can anyone help? Why it is so hard to use a stupid Makefile!? I just want to build with clang++ :(
Last edited on
If you're on windows that Makefile I have in the project isn't going to work. It should work for Linux distros and OS x that have SFML properly built and installed.

And I see from GitHub issues that you've got it figured out now. Good :p

EDIT:
Also, irc.freenode.net #ChessPlusPlus is the IRC channel we've been using.
Last edited on
I posted the above message after that GitHub message. I can compile but I can't link. I'll check out the irc - the site takes forever to load and I don't have an irc client so it may be a bit until I can get on.
if you're using clang i believe you need to use the flat -stdlib=libc++ as well as -std=c++11.

Also, what errors are you getting on compile?
The project requires both Boost and SFML 2.0 to be built on your system.
Last edited on
Thumper wrote:
if you're using clang i believe you need to use the flat -stdlib=libc++ as well as -std=c++11.
No, actually, you don't ;)
Thumper wrote:
Also, what errors are you getting on compile?
I don't get any errors on compile, it's only linker errors.
Thumper wrote:
The project requires both Boost and SFML 2.0 to be built on your system.
Having trouble finding how to build the provided SFML files (why are they in the repo anyway?), so I'll try the official 2.0 ones.
L B wrote:
No, actually, you don't ;)
On OS x you do. Guess it's different for windows then.

There's a version of SFML in the project because SFML 2.0 isn't yet stable. That's a version that the project is guaranteed to work with. Although the 2.0 RC should work as well.
There's a version of SFML in the project because SFML 2.0 isn't yet stable.

The only reason 2.0 hasn't been released yet is because a new logo is being selected prior to it's release. It's as stable as it's going to get.

I definitely would not fall back to the RC version.
We're having some trouble compiling. Does anyone have any help to offer for linking SFML with clang++? I think I would have to build SFML with clang but all I can find on google is someone else who's already done that but they won't say how.
Sorry for posting in the wrong place, I work 12 hour shifts sun-tues. Poked my head in last night and saw some refactoring being done. Does this mean the problem is solved?

As you know, I was having trouble with a static link. I didn't get scientific with it, but I'm pretty sure I have a different project that links statically to the same libs just fine.

If the problem isn't solved yet, maybe try a project with only a few sfml calls in main(), and see if that works before you pull your hair out trying to compile sfml correctly.

This person seems to use clang++ and sfml with inpunity :)
http://glx.me/docs/sfgl-tutorial/001-hello.php
Maybe contactable?
@Lowest0ne: problem not solved, I can compile but linking is not yet possible for me. I can't even link a simple 'open a window and do nothing' program with clang.

I'll see if they have a contact, and I've seen other people use SFML with clang as if it's impossible not to, so I'm definitely missing something.
@ LB: I'm a Windows user so I don't know if I can help, but what linking errors are you getting exactly (copy pasta please)? I've been reading up on Clang and it seems to mention it's interchangeability with gcc in every other bullet point. I also remember seeing in the cmakelist.txt file for SDL that Clang took the same configuration options as gcc.
I think I may have solved the problems:
Try adding the following flag to your compile:
-DSFML_STATIC

EDIT: Works for MinGW
Last edited on
Pages: 12345