system ("clear") for xcode

I just started programming with Xcode in C + + and i have a little problem with the command system ("clear").
When i build and run the program it start but, rather than clear the screen the program writes "TERM environment variable not set" and continues as if nothing had.
So, what can i do for clear the screen ? (what function can i use for clear the screen ?)
I don't see a purpose in having to clear the console. It is there to display information.. You can output a bunch of new lines though possibly.
1. You should not run external programs with system().

2. Know thine terminal. Microsoft's terminal does not speak the same language as the rest of the world. Some terminals do understand "ANSI codes". Special character sequences that when printed do something else than show up.

Technical: when system() executes 'clear', the clear needs to know the type of terminal and system() did not tell.
Linux# man clear
NAME
       clear - clear the terminal screen

SYNOPSIS
       clear

DESCRIPTION
       clear  clears your screen if this is possible.  It looks in the
       environment for the terminal type and then in the terminfo
       database to figure out how to clear the screen.

clear ignores any command-line parameters that may be present.

Last edited on
I don't see a purpose in having to clear the console. It is there to display information.. You can output a bunch of new lines though possibly.
see ive never understood that one, because you arent guaranteed that the console will be clear when you run it
I'd like to add that Xcode's terminal is different than a "normal" terminal, too. If I were you, and you want to really learn C++ (rather than, say Obj-C), I'd get a really good text editor (Sublime Text 3 has a trial that essentially never expires...) and download the developer tools package - which I think comes with Xcode now. Then I'd develop with that editor and compile from the command line (using clang/clang++ if you're using a recent Mac or gcc/g++ on older versions).

I say this because Xcode's terminal is pretty dumb. Don't get me wrong, it's super useful for what it's intended for - logging output. It's just horrible with curses and colors. For example, if you tell a program only to write color codes when the terminal is _able_ to output in color, Xcode's terminal will tell the program it can output colors, but it can't. You get a lot of nasty output on the screen. My 2 cents.
So, what can i do for clear the screen ? (what function can i use for clear the screen ?)

http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/4z18T05o/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.