My own version of Linux

I want to make my own version of Linux and i have tried to learn c++ in the past but never really did any work with it i was hoping to make a game out of it but things change so i shelved it and now revising it as a high school sophomore learning code for my technology committee and want to help the entire school out by switching over to Linux and want to help develop a new OS so i need help in doing so. and if i misspell things i am from the south and caring about spelling just isn't our style or what ever. so thank you
What do you mean by "own version of Linux"? A modified Linux kernel (programming) or a different collection of (GNU) applications aka distro (mostly not programming)?

What do you mean by "develop a new OS"? Something not GNU/Linux? Linux kernel started over 25 years ago and many tools in a typical GNU/Linux distro are much older.

The Linux kernel is written in C, not C++, AFAIK.
In order to make your own flavor of Linux (whether that would be your own distro or a modified kernel), you would need more than just a knowledge of C++.
I've been playing with the idea of doing the same thing

linuxfromscratch.org

go there or google linuxfromscratch
kronickhigh: Isn't LinuxFromScratch just like Arch or Gentoo except more difficult to install? LFS is very good if you want to learn about Linux but if you are just after an super customizable Linux distro Arch or Gentoo is probably the way to go.
If this were a project for home I'd say go all in on LFS, but with this being for the school to use; go for a mainstream distro that has a rolling release like debian. You don't want to have to reinstall every 6months like fedora, and debian is easier to maintain than arch or gentoo (though I think both are also rolling-released) from what I hear. Also it's easier to install with a live cd.

I just wanted to mention it because there's no reason to make things overly difficult.
Last edited on
I'm from the south and if you can't spell your a idiot. Making a statement like you don't care just confirms that. If that's what you want to be then your on the right track. Forget about programming and take up something like art. Maybe you'll be a movie star.

Writing an OS isn't something your going to be able to complete in 2 years while going to school.
Now assuming you still want to do that, taking a Linux kernel and stripping it down and writing your own commands might be possible with help since you can model most after the public distributions. Remember it's not going to be very good for a few years and several thousand hours of fixing bugs and updates.

I'd recommend going with one that's available, and becoming a contributor. Learn as you go and when you can write one on your own, then build a team to make your on OS if that's your goal.

PS. learn to spell and take credit for your mistakes and accomplishments.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.