GNU Emac C++ Programming??

Pages: 12
Hehe, well I won't say it's better, I would try both and find which one you prefer. I'm a Vim fan however. I'd recommend reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war
I am also a Vim fan aka Vi Improved. But now except for quick one-liner or short scripts, I wrote my code in Textpad and then FTP or SCP over. It is still more efficient to use a friendly with syntax highlighting etc text editors :P
It is still more efficient to use a friendly with syntax highlighting etc text editors
¿? If vim is more efficient, ¿why you don't use it then?
HAHA! A vim vs. emacs discussion - delightful. Long story short: Vim wins ;)

What kind of Laptop you're on? If you like real sharp performance, have look at crunchbang or similar distro's. My netbook boots in a few secs and runs like a "big one" avoiding this costy stuff ubuntu comes with...

My desktop is running Ubuntu though...both are debian based...
Last edited on
Fedora's where it's at man!
¿? If vim is more efficient, ¿why you don't use it then?

Is there a Windows version of vim ? I always associate vim and the like as Unix specific text editor. Syntax highlighting is pretty important to me.
¿Do you mean a graphical interface? There is gvim (I didn't try it)

Put this in your ~/.vimrc
"tab
set autoindent
set tabstop=4
"set expandtab "if you want spaces
set shiftwidth=4

set nu "line numbers
syntax on "highlighting (detects the language automagically, you can set it with setf)
"set hlsearch "resalt found text

"Set up a template acording to the type of the file
autocmd! BufNewFile * silent! 0r ~/.vim/skeletons/template.%:e

"etc (important) 
autocomplete, tags, tabs, windows, mapings...
Yes there is a windows version of vim, I do all of my C coding in Vim with cygwin and gcc on a windows machine, works amazingly :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12