Which IDE should i use?

Hi,

I'm using orwell dev c++(an updated version of dev c++) for my projects. But i don't like this IDE very much because when i look in forums for IDEs there are only a few people that recommend this IDE. I don't want to use Visual Studio because it's a microsoft product and for comercial purposes yo have to buy it. What IDE do you use/recommend me? Should I keep using orwell dev c++? It would be better if it was Open-Source.

Thanks!
Last edited on
I would go with Visual Studio 2013 Express For Desktop apps. It has pretty much everything (except resource editor, but you can still code resource files).
LinK:
http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

In the second group on the page, it is number 3
I used VS 2010 express and it's a good IDE(it has lots of useful stuff), but if i wanted to sell my app, I would have to pay it, that's why I'm not using it right now xD
thanks for the answer
Last edited on
I use both Visual Studio and Code::Blocks. I like Code::Blocks much better though. Although, in my opinion, Code::Blocks is moving in the direction of Visual Studio. It keeps getting more and more bloated with features I don't need. That's why I prefer the much older versions, like 10.02 or 10.05. With Code::Blocks though, its not tied to any specific compiler. Today for example, I configured it to work with VC++9, x64, and GCC 4.8 or 4.9 - I forget which, x64 though. So that's neat. I know there are others out there, but I'm not very familiar with them.
yeah, lots of people recommend Code::Blocks, I think I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks
I actually like how Orwell Dev-C++ doesn't try to make an entire project hierarchy by default, you can quickly just have a .cpp file and an executable to go along with it. No needed project file or anything like that.

I will usually use Orwell Dev-C++ when testing out small snippets of code or some test algorithm I can fit in one .cpp file, and CodeBlocks when I am working on a project with multiple files. I agree with freddie1 when it comes to Visual Studio and codeblocks. If you have space (especially for VS, so many gigabytes...) then have all 3!
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
ochi12 wrote:
I don't want to use Visual Studio because it's a microsoft product and for comercial purposes yo have to buy it.

Microsoft wrote:
Commercial use of Visual Studio Express

Visual Studio Express products are available at no charge and may be used for commercial, production usage subject to the license terms provided with each product. For example, you can use Express for Windows to create apps that you can then submit for sale in the Windows Store.
-- http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx
well, i didn't know that xD. it's just that i don't like microsoft, i guess i could use it. Anyway, i already used vs while learning c# so, it won't be hard to get into it. thanks
it's just that i don't like microsoft

Whatever your opinions are of the company, there's no denying that Visual Studio is an excellent IDE. If you are a student and have a .edu email address, you can get VS2013 Professional free through Dreamspark.

VS2013 is really the only IDE I use anymore. If I'm not on Windows, then I just don't even use an IDE.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
To be honest in my opinion Microsoft Visual Studio IDE is best around the world in terms of debugging hands down, its far superior to Code::Blocks or Eclipse although both are very strong competitors.

VS is has tools, support, Advanced Code-Analysis features making it really great IDE for professional use - therefore VS is used so much in the industry.

Anyway, not to promote any sort of piracy or theft but VS license keys are literally littered across online I'm sure its not that difficult to get your hands on working ones.
But Microsoft is loosing a lost of revenue from this piracy they should really do something about it.
Eh, they make their money off of companies buying bulk licences for their employees. I doubt they're very concerned about random people pirating keys so they can write throw away applications.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.