what can i use instead SetTimer()?

i'm trying using the SetTimer() it's good, but for deferent delay between frames it's a big problem... instead a Multimedia Timers, is there another timer that i can use?
If you want to change the delay use KillTimer():

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms644903%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

and then SetTimer() again.

By the way: a timer with a period of 10ms and below makes little sense for a gui (it just keeps the gui busy). The user will see changes only when the delay is 200ms and more.
i'm so sorry, but the SetTimer()(using animated gif's, but diferent delay between frames) is very instable :(
i only get problems :(
I don't think that SetTimer() is instable. You have a problem else where.

Following suggestion:

Create a thread per animation. As soon as the animation changes send a message to the gui and make the update to window.
yes you have right. but theres 1 timer that 'stops' when the form wins the focus. that timer just change the form icon:
void SetIcon(image &imgIcon)
        {
            if(hWindowIcon!=NULL)
                DestroyIcon(hWindowIcon);
            if(hWindowIconBig!=NULL)
                DestroyIcon(hWindowIconBig);
            hWindowIcon =CopyIcon((HICON)imgIcon);
            hWindowIconBig =CopyIcon((HICON)imgIcon);
            //DrawHICONtoHDC(NULL, (HICON)imgIcon,100,100);
            if(hWindowIcon!=NULL)
            {
                SendMessage( hwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, (LPARAM)(HICON)hWindowIcon);//if i don't use  these line
            }

if(hWindowIconBig!=NULL)
            {
                SendMessage( hwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_BIG, (LPARAM)(HICON)hWindowIconBig );
            }
        }

see these on DrawHICONtoHDC():
1 - if i use it,the icon is changed;
2 - NULL is a HDC, so it's wrong... i just did these for not draw it.
but what you think?
DestroyIcon() before you set the new icon is certainly a problem and may lead to undefined behavior. Move that after the SendMessage() is done.

Plus: It is always allowed to use DestroyIcon() / CopyIcon(). See:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648063%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648058%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
but it's wrong, i think, move the DestroyIcon() after SendMessage(), because it's selected to window, right?
Last edited on
void SetIcon(image &imgIcon)
        {

auto tmp_wi = hWindowIcon;
auto tmp_wib = hWindowIconBig;

if(hWindowIcon!=NULL)
                DestroyIcon(hWindowIcon);
            if(hWindowIconBig!=NULL)
                DestroyIcon(hWindowIconBig);

hWindowIcon =CopyIcon((HICON)imgIcon);
            hWindowIconBig =CopyIcon((HICON)imgIcon);
            //DrawHICONtoHDC(NULL, (HICON)imgIcon,100,100);
            if(hWindowIcon!=NULL)
            {
                SendMessage( hwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, (LPARAM)(HICON)hWindowIcon);//if i don't use  these line
            }

if(hWindowIconBig!=NULL)
            {
                SendMessage( hwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_BIG, (LPARAM)(HICON)hWindowIconBig );
            }

if(tmp_wi!=NULL)
                DestroyIcon(tmp_wi);
            if(tmp_wib!=NULL)
                DestroyIcon(tmp_wib);
        }

The next issue is whether it is correct at all to destroy these icons. Remember that there are circumstances where it is not allowed to destroy them.
thanks for all. i have 1 question: why the hWindowIcon hWindowIconBig and aren't destroyed?
i can do it on desctructor.. but tell me
They are destroyed (line 26/28). Just make sure that the window doesn't access any data from the icon when you destroy it. Hence destroy the icon after it is removed from the window (with WM_SETICON).
thanks for all
correct me 1 thing: before destroy a timer\multithread or something like that, is the best use the wait functions and CreateEvent() and SetEvent() first?
This cannot be answered. It depends entirely on the purpose of the event.
thanks for all.. realy thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.