Dev C++ or Code::Blocks???

i have a problem.i have followed many tutorials on web to learn c++,but one problem was the compiler i had,i tried turbo c++,borland,vc++,you name it,
now iam stuck with a fork of Dev C++.should i continue using Dev C++ or should i try Code::blocks??What do you guys use the most??Thanks in Advance..
If you're on Windows it makes the most sense to use Microsoft's toolchain. IIRC It is available for no charge (and probably a terrible EULA) from https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/cplusplus/
You're looking for the the "community" version of Visual Studio, and/or the associated C++ compiler.
If you belong to an institution, you may consider checking to see if they offer (e.g., educational) licenses for the professional version.... not sure what the differences are, though.

Code::Blocks uses G++ by default, which is likely an awful pain on Windows. Unless you choose to configure a different compiler on your own, I wouldn't recommend that. Still, I suggest installing at least two compilers on your machine, especially if you care about experimental support for the upcoming standard. Even if you don't, changing the compiler is useful as a debugging tool.

I would tend towards Microsoft's CL and LLVM/Clang on a Windows machine.
https://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
i have used Visual studio,its filled with bugs,even my helloworld doesnt compile in it

But i will try Clang

Thanks Max Bozzi,,,you are so helpful
i have used Visual studio,its filled with bugs,even my helloworld doesnt compile in it

Well that means you are doing something wrong somewhere, it's not a fault with either the compiler or the IDE. Lots of people use VS everyday.

Realise that clang, clang++, gcc, g++, Microsoft C++ Compiler, are compilers; Visual Studio, CodeBlocks, DevC++ are IDE's. (Integrated Development Environment)

I personally am not a fan of CodeBlocks, it doesn't have background compilation nor any real version control.

It doesn't have bugs, it's just that you don't know how to use it.

Dev C++ hasn't been updated in ages, while Code::Blocks is lacking in features. Visual Studio, Eclipse C++, CLion, Qt Creator, those are better IDEs.
Last edited on

i have a problem.i have followed many tutorials on web to learn c++,but one problem was the compiler i had,i tried turbo c++,borland,vc++,you name it,
now iam stuck with a fork of Dev C++.should i continue using Dev C++ or should i try Code::blocks??What do you guys use the most??Thanks in Advance..

visual studio 2015 or visual studio 2017
turbo c++,borland

Where did you get your time machine from?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.