Hello guys!
I have been writing for a month c++ and im still in doubt about something.
Which program is best writing C++? :
Code::Blocks
CodeLite IDE
Bluefish Editor
Atom Code Editor
Sublime Text Editor
JetBrains CLion
Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code Editor?
??
Which program is best writing C++?

If you found out, pls let me know. I gave up after "testing" 3..4 of those you mention. Testing not to the very core. I got the impression, they try to copy from a role model. At least the surface was quite similar. Uninstalled all but VS2010 (but that is related to what I do with C++).
It depends on what you want? Personally I would go for Code::Blocks, Bluefish or Atom just because they are free software.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
There is no 'best' only the one that annoys you least. 😉
If you are programming in C/C++ for Windows on Windows, and want one of the best debuggers available for Windows:

Visual Studio 2019. The Community edition is free. To continue using it beyond a trial period just use a free email account to register. No need to give MS your personal info.

One downside is the VS IDE takes up a lot of hard-drive space compared to the other development environments you mentioned.

I really like VS for being able to produce both 32-bit and 64-bit apps easily. Just change a drop-down menu in the IDE or set a check-box in a dialog box that lets you batch build multiple projects.

If you are serious about wanting to use the latest C++ features VS 2019 is up to date with C++17 and an increasing number of C++20 features that are slated to be included when C++20 is finalized.

VS is frequently updated, VS 2019 has had 2 updates since the initial public release about a month ago.

You should look at having several different compiler suites available to use. I have Code::Blocks and VS, both are Integrated Development Environments, installed and routinely use both to compile code I am working on since the underlying compilers are different.
Right now im using visual studio code.
I personally prefer Visual Studio Community over Visual Studio Code, for several reasons that have little to do with writing C++ code.

If VS Code works for you, then keep using it.

Using more than one compiler makes it easier to test C/C++ code you want to be as generic as possible. Visual Studio has language extensions you can use, other compilers have different language extensions that VS doesn't have, and so on.

Asking what is the best compiler is a question that has no real without opinion answer.

Some people like vanilla ice cream, others like different flavors.
Last edited on
Visual Studio Code is a great lightweight editor. It runs on Mac OS and Linux in addition to Windows. I personally use it daily now that I've switched to Linux on my day-to-day machine.

There really isn't any competitor to Visual Studio Community/Professional Edition, though, it's the industry standard and has great debugging tools.
Furry Guy wrote:
Asking what is the best compiler is a question that has no real without opinion answer.

I disagree (somewhat).

The set of supported features of C++ Standard by a compiler is factual, albeit that does not yield 'best' -- just the subset of compilers that do support all the required features of a project. (Can be an empty set.)

A platform-specific compiler (and libraries) can produce more efficient binaries (for HPC/embedded scenarios). That is measurable.

Having said that, support for the language or optimization engine are not the only properties to judge by. Far from it. Price, ease of install, verbosity, availability to different platforms, etc can all be of importance. No compiler wins in every category. That is where the subjective weighted scoring scheme enters the play.

C++ code is text. How do you prefer to type text? That is very subjective.
Almost anything can produce a text file:
# cat > myprog.cpp <<EOF
int main() {
  return 0;
}
EOF
# 

IDE is not an editor. It is a collection of tools (includes editor, compiler, etc). There are practical reasons to prefer IDE over separate editor.
Despite the size issue mentioned, I must give props to Visual Studio CE for a student using Windows.

Even for professional work it's tough to match Visual Studio, overall.

Still, so you know what's coming at you, all C++ developers must be flexible. For a long while the only real option for MAC was XCode or some version of Eclipse/IntelliJ.

Of course, old hands like me grew up at the command line (no IDE, just a text editor and make files).

You'll eventually end up with a project that requires you use CMake (which is a build tool, not an IDE).

As a student you'll do well to avoid these complications for now. Just be aware that as you proceed, the means by which you build your code may touch on a wide range of tools, most of which automate command line processes (Android C++ is an example).

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.