Last edited on
You have been asked? By the FBI or?
Last edited on
No, but if you want to get your code out of the threads, you can edit the threads and just remove the text
Last edited on
Last edited on
the code written in response to my threads removed

Fortunately, this is not something that is likely to be done. Your posts? Certainly, other's posts in response to yours? Unlikely, and with good reason.

You've done your due diligence, don't sweat it. Your professor may just have to deal with it. This is the age of free information, this kind of small censorship is insignificant but (and I feel quite strongly about this) wrong.

We try to keep the community from answering homework questions directly, but we have no right to remove the content that others make (unless there are strict rules that are predefined, known, and always enforced)
Last edited on
I don't think you will get much assist from the folk on this site. When the devs have helped people with their code they like the comments to remain for others to learn from.

The idea of this site is that it's a public source for self learning, learners are encouraged to search the site for past examples before they post because beginners quite often experience the same problems and it can become tedious helping with the same problem over and over.

I don't know if any of the replies are mine (i haven't checked) but i would certainly object to their removal, doing so would render any assistance i offered as "personal", and that is not the objective.

If everyone did that the site would be empty.

As you noticed, closing your account will not remove your posts, for the same reasons as above.

As TarikNeaj said above, if your posts are new enough you can edit them and delete their content, but that is frowned upon by the community (for the reasons above) and will likely impact on any future assistance you request.

Last edited on
Thats understandable, perhaps another message to the admins along those lines would get better results.
Last edited on
The name thing is more understandable, Twicker would be your man if he's still around.
Last edited on
Twicker is the one to contact, but he may not agree to remove any content.

Frankly, neither your lecturer nor your college have any legal standing or right to ask you to remove content submitted by either yourself or any other person on an external site.

There are only two caveats:

(1)
If your submitted content was derived from your lecturer's in any way (even if you are filling-in a lecturer-supplied .cpp file with nothing but empty functions in it), then you are legally at-fault.

(2)
If you have previously signed an agreement waiving your rights in certain cases with respect to your enrollment, then you have entered murky legal waters, and need to see a lawyer.

As the thread is archived, not just by cplusplus.com but by copycat sites (yes, they exist) and even web scrapers (many, many of them exist), there is only so much you can do about it.

It might be worth telling your lecturer that you have contacted the site owner and nothing more can be done on your part, and that the school will have to reconsider how they will respond to their perceived problem with your (hopefully innocent, as per caveats above) actions.

IANAL.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.