Please Help

which software is best for learn c++ Dev++ or C++ for beginner?
cout<<"which software is best for learn c++ Dev++ or C++ for  beginner?
";
well...if by software you mean IDE...there are a few
also, C++Dev++ is a non existant thing..
Okay, I will list them here
http://codeblocks.org/
codeblocks is a fine piece of an IDE...the only problem that is popular with this ide is that the code completion is bad...and I agree

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/features/cplusplus/
here we have Visual Studio...it can be used to program C#, C++, C, etc. I haven't tried this before, I have visual studio, but I use it primarily as C# IDE

https://www.codelite.org/
codelite is an ide for several programming language, but since we are talking about C++, it is a good ide to have, you can customise it's theme easier than codeblocks ( speaking from experience )

www.eclipse.org
eclipse has support for C++ as well as Java. I believe it is primarily Java though

as for tutorial, you can start with a book. Or if you don't have a book, or you cannot buy a book, you can check out this website's tutorial. ( it has a terrible reputation though. Although I learnt C++ from here )
cplusplus.com/doc

there is also this https://www.tutorialspoint.com/cplusplus/index.htm
Hi,

IMO the deal breakers with Code Blocks is that it doesn't seem to have version control, and can't seem to do background compilation last time I looked. I wouldn't say that it was a fine piece of software, maybe alright for a beginner, but not long before one wants something better.

I haven't used VS, it is supposed to be really good, but are there some issues with it being tied to windows? I am not sure.

With Eclipse, it uses plugins for everything, so if you want to write code in bash, or Ruby, python or a myriad of others, just install the plugin. There are some 1800 plugins available for all kinds of things, and it is possible to integrate other technologies like Qt, sfml etc. So it is not primarily Java, although it may be popular with Java coders, and it may be written in Java so that it works across multiple OSes.

There is also QCreator for Qt apps, and KDevelop. The latter can also do lots of different languages / scripting and be integrated with Qt, sfml etc.
visual studio exists to make professional, industrial sized windows programs, but you can write hello world in it just fine without a single hook into the windows OS beyond what the compiler and libraries must do to generate a valid program. It becomes tied to the OS if you start writing GUIs in .net or tapping the OS stuff, of course, same as catching a unistd ties you to unix.

... This is always hard to answer. I would argue that notepad++ and g++ will get you there, the hard way, and if you can code on those everything else is a step up (apart from using a poor text editor). You won't have a debugger, auto complete, project management, etc ... youll have to do it all by hand. This is one approach, and it works... then you can focus on the language basics for a while, and not trying to beat a rich but complicated tool into submission while dealing with code. But once you get past the 1-2 page programs, this will become less and less of a good way to do things, then you will want to move up to an IDE.

I hated eclipse for c++. I had nothing but problems with it. I don't much care for it in general; we have a handful of tools written with it and they are all slow to launch and sluggish generally (we didnt write these, they are purchased big name products). I realized last year or so, during the big eclipse in the USA, how it got its name... a lot of standing around waiting on something to happen... maybe its not the tool, but I haven't had a warm fuzzy here.

I would say of all of it, visual is my favorite. I liked borland's builder a lot but never worked anywhere that had it available. Kdevelop is pretty solid but to be honest, I started doing my unix coding in visual and using unix only for the compile once done. At that time, and possibly still true (?) unix tools were a good 5-10 years behind visual in features and ease of use.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.