Is there problem to declare an empty char array?

Pages: 123... 5
closed account (42TXGNh0)
I'm confused. Somebody declares array as char c[1024];. But I found the compiler does not stop me and there's no error after I've declared the array with char c[] = "";.

Is there actually any potential problems if I do it this way?

char c[] = "";

This does not declare an empty array. It declares an array that is big enough to hold the empty string, which requires one character because strings need to end with a null character '\0'.

// same thing
char c[1] = {'\0'};
Why are cstrings null terminated? What's the point for terminating with null?
consider initializing like this: char c[20] = { '1', '2' };
There's no null terminating character in c[20] but what consequences can I come across?

Are std::strings null terminated?

edit:
Okay I now sort of know "why" null terminating is important in cstrings..
But what actually happens when you don't terminate with a NULL ('\0')? Does the compiler continue reading from adjacent memory addresses until it reaches a NULL? Is that what's happening?

TO OP:
Whenever you write double quotes "", there is always a null character, that's how cstrings work (and for a reason). So when you used "" to initialize, the compiler assumed a null character to terminate.

You could try initializing your array like this: char c[] = {}; and you will notice that you will get an error.

consider
char c[6];
cin >> c;

And you type in 'hello'
c would have { 'h', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o', '\0'} as elements

character arrays must always have null characters.
Last edited on
But what actually happens when you don't terminate with a NULL ('\0')? Does the compiler continue reading from adjacent memory addresses until it reaches a NULL? Is that what's happening?

No. The compiler only runs when your program is compiling. Some functions work by looking through memory until they find a zero, but that's got nothing to do with the compiler.
Last edited on
What was the right phrasing? Thanks for correcting me Repeater. Am I along the right lines with consequence though? Does it continue reading from the memory?

> Are std::strings null terminated?

Yes, if c_str() or data() had been called on the string and the string has not been modified since then.
Does it continue reading from the memory?

Depends on the function. Some functions have been programmed to look through memory until they find a zero value. Some functions do not. It is up to you, the programmer, to understand what the functions you call do. If the function you call depends on some characters in memory having a zero at the end, the documentation will tell you.
Ah huh, so std::strings are not null terminated otherwise.

string hal = "a";
	hal = hal.c_str();

hal will now have "a\0" ?

How does std::string handle 'cout<<'? Does it specify where to start reading and where to stop? If so why don't cstrings use that mechanism or why does string use this mechanism?

How does std::string handle 'cout<<'? Does it specify where to start reading and where to stop?

A string object knows how many characters it contains. A string object is not just an array of char. It contains other data too. It contains a number representing how many characters it has. The operator << can interrogate the string object. Can ask it how many characters it contains.

If so why don't cstrings use that mechanism

Because a cstring is just an array of char. It doesn't contain extra data. It doesn't contain a number representing how many characters it has.

That said, from C++11 onwards, there is a guarantee that inside the string object, it will be keeping its actual characters in contiguous memory and will put a zero on the end anyway.
Last edited on
> so std::strings are not null terminated otherwise

It is also null terminated if we access the element just after the last character at the back of the string
([pos] or at(pos) where pos == size())

The standard does not require that the sequence of characters must be null-terminated otherwise.

> hal will now have "a\0" ?

The size of the string does not change: hal.size() would still yield 1, hal.back() would yield a reference to the character 'a' etc. The null character is not logically a part of the sequence of characters that make up the string.

However, the underlying storage will now contain "a\0" (there is an extra null character at the end).

Why are cstrings null terminated? What's the point for terminating with null?

many, many reasons. The most basic one:
you can make c-strings bigger than they need to be. eg char str[1000] = "hello"; how does it know how long this string is? How does it know when to stop printing letters out? The hidden terminal character, is how. Strcpy, strcat, strlen, etc ALL work off the hidden zero character. The string class works off size() instead, but it still maintains the zero to be compatible with C and c-like C++ code. (and who knows, under the hood, the string class may be using the c-string library calls in some cases).

what happens if you don't terminate?
its about like this
char x[10];
cout << x; //if none of the elements of x randomly happen to be zero, you have an access violation! The C tools will read until it finds a zero byte in memory, even out of bounds.

also, you can have arrays of just characters or just bytes, eg a binary file. This isn't a c-string. Usually those are unsigned but either way, its important to understand that not all char arrays HAVE to be strings.

the only other approach to this I have seen in raw-strings in older languages is the pascal string, where the first 2 bytes are the size of the string as an integer. Modern languages have heavy string classes with extra fields for the size and more.

Last edited on
JLBorges wrote:
The standard does not require that the sequence of characters must be null-terminated otherwise.

I was under the impression that &str[0] could be used to get a mutable c string but based on what you are saying it is not actually guaranteed to be null-terminated. No wonder they added a non-const version of std::string::data() in C++17.
Last edited on
So... Are there any potential hazards that hinders the program from running properly if I only declare it like char c[] = ""?
Just use a string.
Are there any potential hazards that hinders the program from running properly if I only declare it like char c[] = ""?

Only if you use it incorrectly, like trying to use it to store a string with zero or more more than zero characters in it.
Last edited on
In other words, yes everything about char c[] = ""; is a "potential hazard". Just do char c = '\0'; if you want to store a null character, because that's essentially all you're doing.
Last edited on
But I've got no error for my program:
char c[] = "";
strcpy(c,"This is a sentence.");
printf(c);

And it outputs
This is a sentence.
smoothly, and doesn't crash until the end of the program. Also, the crash can be bypassed by using exit(). Why's that? (#confused)
Last edited on
Because you've now entered the realm of undefined behavior. Sure, your program might not crash for such a simple operation, but that is not guaranteed. The program is still illegal.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/cstring/strcpy/
To avoid overflows, the size of the array pointed by destination shall be long enough to contain the same C string as source (including the terminating null character), and should not overlap in memory with source.

PS: On my machine, it crashes.

// Example program
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>

int main()
{
    using namespace std;

char c[] = "";
    printf(c);
}

Also, the compiler generates a warning.

D:\code\cplusplus248142>make main
g++     main.cpp   -o main
main.cpp: In function 'int main()':
main.cpp:11:11: warning: 'void* __builtin_memcpy(void*, const void*, long long unsigned int)' writing 20 bytes into a region of size 1 overflows the destination [-Wstringop-overflow=]
     ~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited on
OMG, my compiler does gave me that warning...
How can I ever decide the size of the array before knowing the size of the string...? I don't want to use a large number to fill up the memory.
Pages: 123... 5