Where to download C++ software?

Pages: 1234
@jonnin sorry but my terminology may be inaccurate. If you go to https://www.python.org/downloads/ you will see what I downloaded to get started in Python. I simply want the same thing for C++
> Ive opened that site but it appears as if it is another IDE.

No, it is not an IDE.

The final step in those installation instructions:
$ pacman -S --needed base-devel mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
would install a command line compiler and tools and libraries required for C++ development
@bensan,
Why are you looking for a desktop shortcut? Run from a standard command window. As long as the relevant compiler binaries and libraries are available in your path then a basic compile is as simple as
g++ progname.cpp
You can add plenty of options later.

If, as you say, you have VS installed then you can (provided your path includes the relevant binaries) use that compiler instead from a command window:
cl progname.cpp

If you are, as you claim, also a python programmer, then you can run a python program from the command line also:
python progname.py
Last edited on
I simply want the same thing for C++

me too. but there is not something really like that.
@JLBorges - OK, Ive downloaded & installed & created a shortcut into my taskbar so that I can open it at a later date.

I have a command prompt window appearing, so what do I do now?

Keep in mind I want to compile, at least initially, in my familiar UltraEdit32 text editor.

Do you know anything about creating macros? Because that is what I have come here for.

UltraEdit32 (over 20 yrs old) was built in C++ & it has an excellent macro system so I want to build something similar.

Maybe I first need to create a basic text editor.
Last edited on
If you installed MSYS2 you can download and install an editor that works in the MSYS2 command line terminal. MSYS2 has 3 different editors available to download and install. emacs. nano and vim.
https://packages.msys2.org/group/editors

OR you can use a separate plain text editor to create your source files, like notepad.

Here's a couple of example programs you can try to see if you installed MSYS2 correctly, including proper MSYS2 links and short-cuts.
https://solarianprogrammer.com/2019/11/05/install-gcc-windows/
FYI, if you have the Visual Studio IDE installed (NOT Visual Studio Code) it can do command-line builds. No need to use the IDE.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/walkthrough-compiling-a-native-cpp-program-on-the-command-line?view=msvc-160

Make sure you have C/C++ support installed.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/vscpp-step-0-installation?view=msvc-160
@Furry Guy, thanks for your advice. I have Visual Studio Code installed. I dont want to build on command-line. I want to build in my familiar text editor, UltraEdit. If that becomes clumsy then I will consider another IDE.

I have opened the links you provided but I need to study more. Its almost the end of my day so probably will get back to you tomorrow.
from the web, it looks like ultraedit can add a command line compiler but to do so you need to know how to compile something by hand.
so you should write hello world in c++ and compile it from one of your installed compilers from the windows console. Once you have the paths and commands down for that, you can add them to UE easily.
http://forums.ultraedit.com/how-to-configure-ue-to-compile-with-gcc-t2001.html
shows an example of what it will sort of look like.
bensan wrote:
I want to build in my familiar text editor

If'n it were me I'd not be so all fired eager to use any particular editor. Get used to different tools and how they work.

Writing/editing code is a small part of the workflow. Compiling and debugging, especially debugging, is something that gets neglected.

I mostly use VS 2019 Community for the bulk of my C++ workflow. Having an integrated editor, compiler and coordinated debug tools makes it easier to concentrate on getting my code written and working. Updating the programming language(s) installed is also relatively hassle-free.

I also use Code::Blocks. It has a different compiler suite under the hood. Makes it easier to craft C++ code that is as generic and compiler agnostic as possible. Updating the compiler is not as easy, but it can be done.

I'm currently taking time to learn how to do command-line compiling. Mostly with MSYS2, occasionally with VS 2019.

IDEs are useful, but the ability to do command-line compiling is where really good professional programming pros are a step up.

I am not a professional, just someone who is a very opinionated and self-taught hobbyist. I've been dabbling with C/C++ since ANSI C++ was the standard.

@jonnin the UltraEdit32 I have is over 20 years old & undoubtedly they have added many more features to it since that time. It is the macro system that my version has which makes it so remarkable. So I want to build a macro system similar to that so I can insert it into a CodeIgniter library. Then CodeIgniter will have little or no limitations.
so, notepad++ is opensource and has an excellent macro utility. Maybe you could look at that code? How different can it be... you record a series of steps and repeat them, macro editing is pretty consistent across time and tools.

You want to edit the code with this old tool because you want to replicate one of its features? This does not make a lot of sense. Play with the old tool to review its features and use something friendly to make your code seems more viable to me.

But whatever on that.. I don't know what else to try to suggest for you. If I think of something I will say it but the well is running dry...
Last edited on
@Furry Guy, OK, but your outlook is far different to mine. I am building a one off website in CodeIgniter & PHP. Unfortunately CodeIgniter has its limitations so I want to resolve that problem. I first went into Python a couple of months ago & recently learned how to build a simple text editor, then my next step was to build a macro, but on my investigation this is what I found - Does Python have macro? -The programming language of Python does not have built-in support for macros unlike many other languages such as C [2] or Racket [3].17 Dec 2018. So here I am to learn C++ only for the purpose of building a macro system. Any help to do that will be very much appreciated. Of course we asked UltraEdit to take part but they refused so as usually the case, the only way to get things done properly is to do it myself. You will be able to sell the programs you are building, or the use of, within the website we are building.
Last edited on
C's macros will be of no particular use in building your own macro system for an editor.
learned how to build a simple text editor, then my next step was to build a macro
So here I am to learn C++ only for the purpose of building a macro system.
Holy smokes!
Umm... Sorry you had to waste so much time on this but, the word "macro" means two different things in computing. It can either mean what you're trying to implement, which is a system to record user actions in a user interface and then play them back, typically with the purpose of automating repetitive tasks. For example, record a series of keystrokes in a text editor and then replay them 100 times.
OR, it can mean a feature of certain programming languages that allows the programmer to generate code at compile time in some way, typically to avoid code repetition. C and C++ has fairly basic text macros, while Racket (being a derivative of Scheme) has hygienic macros, which generate abstract syntax subtrees.

Needless to say, it's perfectly possible to implement a macro system (in the former sense) in a language that lacks macros (in the latter sense).
Last edited on
@dutch OK, can you elaborate? I foresee me needing to start a new topic.
@helios - Yes UltraEdit32 does have the facility to record & play back key strokes but I dont use that feature. UltraEdit32 was built in C++ hence the reason I have come here. I foresee me needing to start a new topic on macros. And in that topic I will illustrate the functions I will want. The basic functions will be Find or Select, Copy, & Paste, & to Open & Close files.

You wrote "Needless to say, it's perfectly possible to implement a macro system (in the former sense) in a language that lacks macros (in the latter sense)." I hope the "former sense" is C++ and the "latter sense" can include CodeIgniter.
helios has explained the point.
c++ macros play games with C++ code for the compiler. they are inherited from C.
There is no record and playback tool in c++ language; though you may find one third party.
even the c++ ones are not record and playback. They do useful things like "if on windows, include windows.h, if not, define a couple of things used from window.h so the code works without the official ones..."
or tell you what file/function/line/etc an error was thrown at.

on the flipside, what you want to do is not too bad in any language. You need to define a way to express it -- a 'language' but so small it is really just a few codes -- so you can save the steps and replay them. Then you just parse your saved steps and do those actions. When integrated into your editor, you need a way to record every keystroke and mouse action, so you design for that going into it (or, if not all of them, the supported ones).
Last edited on
You wrote "Needless to say, it's perfectly possible to implement a macro system (in the former sense) in a language that lacks macros (in the latter sense)." I hope the "former sense" is C++ and the "latter sense" can include CodeIgniter.
"Needless to say, it's perfectly possible to implement a system to record and replay a user's actions using a language with no compile-time code generation support."

I'm rereading your initial question with the added context from your last few posts, and I'm very confused by what you're trying to accomplish.
Im wanting to build a macro, maybe into a simple text editor, that can be inserted into a User Library within CodeIgniter. If I can achieve that then CodeIgniter will do whatever I want, & not be so limited as it is in the current form.
This passage as it's written makes very little sense to me. Maybe it would help if you explained what you've been trying and failing to do with CodeIgniter that has led you to conclude that it's "limited", and how you came to the conclusion that C++ would help. Walk us through your reasoning and maybe we can suggest alternative solutions.
Pages: 1234