system("cls") creates a lot of lag for my console game, how can I avoid that?

I think it won't be easy to answer this and simple for me to understand as well.
I'm using Windows 7.

Imagine this game - a figure (let's say it's an "X") walks through a field.
The figure amd the field look like this:
[X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

When you click the right arrow key, the field with the figure look like this:
[ ][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

So you can imagine it now.
When the right arrow key is pressed, my program algorithm sees a system("cls") (and I know "system" functions are evil or something like that, so don't shout at me for that).
Clears the screen and types the stuff all over again.
When I want the 'X' to move faster, the lag is really noticeable.

It's not a huge problem for that kind of game, but I'm creating another one now that requires loads and loads of refreshes in a very short period of time.

The blinking of the screen would be unbearable.

I've seen a console game, created using C++ (as far as I know), that didn't have blinking at all. The "X" could move without a simple lag and it was incredibly smooth.

I think it wouldn't be easy to make it that way, but I wanna try. Make me an algorithm if you can that would me this possible. I might not understand it, but I'll use it on my games anyway.

I think I'd need to learn how to delete only the stuff that gets changed and not the whole foreground. Teach me a bit if you can.

Thanks in advance :D
It's a terrible waste of processing to clear the screen and redraw just to move a single char from one position to another. You'll be well advised to read up on ncurses, so that you just redraw the current char for x with a blank and redraw the next position.

HTH
I have a similar console game I wrote awhile back, my CLS function is:

void Map::cls() //windows h function to replace screen with nulls 
{ 
  DWORD n; 
  DWORD size; 
  COORD coord = {0}; 
  CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO csbi; 
  HANDLE h = GetStdHandle ( STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE ); 
  GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo ( h, &csbi ); 
  size = csbi.dwSize.X * csbi.dwSize.Y; 
  FillConsoleOutputCharacter ( h, TEXT ( ' ' ), size, coord, &n ); 
  GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo ( h, &csbi ); 
  FillConsoleOutputAttribute ( h, csbi.wAttributes, size, coord, &n ); 
  SetConsoleCursorPosition ( h, coord ); 
} 

My whole code for the console based game can be found on my public dropbox link here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78573135/BattleByte1.09a.rar

feel free to look at grab snippets of my code if you need any help, or just check it out!
Thanks everyone!

I've decided to try ncurses first. If that doesn't work, I'll just use the cls function Need4Sleep gave me. I know ncurses should work smoother, so I'll try it first.

So now I've decided to try it and I wanna know how to start! If some of you could bother answering my another asked question here:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/109857/
, that would be just great.

I have no idea what I should do :(
Thanks in advance!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.