Do you use Linux

Pages: 12345
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Yea probably wine
Does that even matter? You did ask whether Linux is used for programming.
Linux is used for programming, *nix distos are even considered a programmer's OS even though a few are trying to make it user-friendly-ish to bring Windows users to Linux.
Cool..I'm gonna check it out
I use ubuntu 12.04 with a combination of lxde and openbox , both were designed to be light weight and works pretty fast even on my old p4 system.
Talking about windows v linux , i would say that i was once a windows user but my experience with linux is quite better than i had with windows.

If i were a serious gamer i would instead buy a PS3 which has most of the latest titles released for , but for some little fun in linux , wine does the trick for me.

Linux is only used for
programming
Ever heard of Android ?
Linux is used in embedded systems , used in scientific research(e.g. At LHC of cern) , servers , runs supercomputers(see wikipedia's page for top100 supercomputers) , used for film making and animation (dreamworks uses a cluster of linux computers to render thier animations and designing) , it is also coming to your wristwatch soon , the list could go on...
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
PS3 cannot beat PC in gaming.

Skyrim runs on mid graphics on PS3.
Okay, there are some exceptions but you have PS4 too.
I can get a PC with the same specs or better than a PS4 with less price.
@amhndu
u wrote
Linux is only used for
programming

but BHX wrote
Linux is used for programming,

its fine it happened to me on another topic
Linux is only used for programming

Bull.
Accepted all that.
But now that steam has come to linux ,EA has shown some interest , gaming in linux in future looks promising as leading game companies are interested in it.
Last edited on
Don't get me wrong - I'd love to go linux. The problem is, no gaming. BTW, EA makes horrible games most of the time.
Fredbill30 wrote:
Bull.
Fredbill30 wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I'd love to go linux. The problem is, no gaming. BTW, EA makes horrible games most of the time.

Do you ever say anything that isn't just completely wrong? First it isn't bull as *nix systems were originally used for only programming and only started becoming more in the mid to late 90s. While the nurses and doctor offices use Windows XP or 2000 for their stuff,the programming jobs for the medical industry (at leas in my state) use *nix distros. I applied to be a programmer for IU Health's Medicaid deparment and that was the requirement, good with unix like systems.

Linux does have gaming. Steam works on it with limited games supported and more plan to be ported. EA doesn't make games on Linux because basically EA is the gaming industry's MS (only care about making money and Windows has the largest part of the market so they pump out games for it). There are cross-platform libs that make developing a game that runs on all systems easy (just compile it with the OS compiler ie Linux/GNU Windows/VC Mac/GNU) so the reasons they develop for one OS and not the other is purely selfish (or bought as Bethesda is known for making deals with MS to only release DLC for 360 or release it for them first then PC and PS3).

If Linux was more popular than Windows, I guarantee the devs would be different.
I didn't mean NO gaming. I meant not ENOUGH gaming. How was me saying EA games makes horrible games completely wrong? I can't have an opinion?
I dont use Linux because I might use it if I will make another drive for the Linux and keep my windows, but I don't want to mess with my windows since it is the "FIRST LEGAL COPY OF WINDOWS ^_^ " :)
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
no fred. no you cant
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I use Arch Linux. I mostly play DotA 2 anyways which just recently got a native release under Linux so I'm content. I'll occasionaly play WoW (with WINE) and Xonotic. VERY rarely I'll play UT2004 as well.

Also, I've never actually owned a legal copy of Windows.
And I'll be buying a PS4 as well.
Last edited on
Frebill30 wrote:
I didn't mean NO gaming. I meant not ENOUGH gaming. How was me saying EA games makes horrible games completely wrong? I can't have an opinion?

Most of EA's games are made by other houses and published by EA. For example, the Mercenary franchise was made by Pandemic but published by EA. EA is obsessed with buying companies, shutting down what they deem junk ideas and publish the games they think are good, for example Saboteur and Mercs Inc.

You can have an opinion, but still doesn't make it right. Look at my opinion on debuggers, yet everyone there deemed my opinion completely wrong. Just like your opinion is completely wrong on EA. They have some crap games, but they have so great games too. Same goes for all game companies.

Enough gaming? You really need to get into indie games more so than commercial games. There are several indie games that are just as good as commercial games. Minecraft works on Linux. Also, the servers you connect to, usually are running on Linux servers. Almost any game coded using SFML/SDL/Allegro will run in Linux and there are a ton of indie developers. Plenty of indie games that will entertain you, like OpenTTD (Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe).
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
although windows will always be top for space cadet pinball
Big name developers prefer Windows because it has DirectX. DirectX has evolved more gracefully than OpenGL and is supported and maintained by a single company rather than a consortium, so the API is updated more swiftly as technologies advance. If it were simply a matter of which platform had the most users then most games would be cross-platform using OpenGL.
Pages: 12345