• Forum
  • Lounge
  • whats the status of the c++ monthly comp

whats the status of the c++ monthly competition idea guys??

Pages: 123... 5
It was going great, i want more, whats happening? who won the last one? I heard things but i don't know if they are real
Going great? Less than ten people said they were interested and only two submitted anything. So I wouldn't say it is great, but rather okay. I think the monthly competition may have been dead in the water. Last competition, make an irc bot, didn't interest me as I had done a bot and got bored with it so there was no challenge to it. Either people are too busy with their lives, not interested, partake in too many compos to take part in ours, simply don't care, or some other reason they didn't do it.
Well I sure had fun. :p

But yeah, this requires a pretty solid group effort, which there doesn't seem to be.
nooo it just needs more attention from us lot, and ten is enough.

i want another round of competition, only two submitted but ten or more tried, you need regular use to make it a thing.

give it another little boost advertise it here go on i want more competitions, pleeeease
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i didnt see this. ill do it. how and where do i sign up?
I don't know if they will bother with another compo. The turnout for the first one was so low. I mean as of right now, this thread shows there are only four interested right now. This isn't counting the others from the first compo. Either way we only have a hand full that are interested and I don't think much will come of this compo idea. This opinion is only after seeing the last compo having about 10 say they were interested and only 2 submitting anything for the compo. I can't see it taking off more than this because it isn't worth the effort to maintain a monthly compo for the same hand full of programmers every month. :(
thats perfect, an intimate little compo for super c++ adventure club members only.

and besides, these things need time to grow, its not like the competition was particularly accessible.

EDIT: :'(
Last edited on
I think we need to get some things cleared up. Monthly competitions means 12 compos a year. Yet we did a June compo nearly in July. We have yet to see or hear anything for August. We have to have a format in place as you can't call it a monthly competition if you keep doing it in the middle of every other month. I think we need to go to 12 compos a year that is a couple of days or weeks rather than a full month for everything.

I am thinking two weeks max that way it gives participants about two weeks to unwind before doing the next compo. We also need to get ideas to randomly chose from rather than think of new ones each time a compo comes around.
yayy so its back on :D

I think a break is wise, little competitions are fine, like basketball you can play one on one or with 20+ players
@BHXSpecter
Why such a pessimistic attitude?
The turnout for the competition may have been low but it takes time for these things to catch on. I don't think they necessarily have to be monthly, maybe quarterly or semi-annually.

I am thinking two weeks max that way it gives participants about two weeks to unwind before doing the next compo.
IMO 2 weeks of coding isn't nearly enough time for anything non-trivial (at least it isn't for me)

This opinion is only after seeing the last compo having about 10 say they were interested and only 2 submitting anything for the compo.
Ten may have said they were interested in the competition, but only five voted for the IRC bot. Two of us submitted and one attempted, so three out of five isn't horrible for a first run.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I never had one but it would be awesome to have one. With ajudge deciding or 2 ..a one that's simple like so me and other newbies can do it. Like calculator..or something else
I'm game for more. I learned a lot making that IRC bot.
I don't want to administrate though. :p
So if something else gets rolling I'll most definitely participate.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Well if Essegich (Sorry I always butcher the name I should really learn how to spell it) doesn't keep it going I could setup the site and stuff for it (Actually had a free domain name from my previous purchades so reserved cppcomp.com back when we started this and also have a dynamic website made with django about 60% done that we could use) but would need someone to run maintain the comps cause I ddon't really wanna do it ; p.
naraku9333 wrote:
IMO 2 weeks of coding isn't nearly enough time for anything non-trivial (at least it isn't for me)

Non-trivial? So you are saying making a game in 2 or 3 days is trivial? That is the premise of Ludum Dare (make a game in 2 or 3 days to match the theme).
Not every comp needs to be that involved and I agree with naraku some of us can't code all day long for two weeks just for a comp. I like the idea of have a month or maybe a bit less to work on it.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Non-trivial? So you are saying making a game in 2 or 3 days is trivial?

No, he was saying that making a game is non-trivial, and therefore 2 weeks isn't nearly enough time.
Have none of you heard of Ludum Dare? A large game programming compo? That compo requires you make a game over a weekend (48 hour jam or 72 hour jam). Speedhack, TINS, and Christmashack from the Allegro community requires you make a game in a single weekend.

See that is just it, the longer the compo the easier it is for you to blow off the entry until you have no time to or spread it out so far that you are rushing to do it. Googling "programming competitions" returned lists upon lists of programming communities that have annual/monthly compos and seldom saw a month long compo. In fact, I saw several that only gave you a few hours to do the compo (like the BME International where you get 24 hours to make the program to solve the problem, or International Collegiate Programming Contest where you have five hours to write it).

You want to see what happens to a competition that is a month long? If any of you are part of Moosader.com, go there and look at her compos (you have to be a member and wait for her to activate you as she is trying to minimize spam accounts), but almost all of them have a huge join number and by the end a good portion (me included) drop out because we forget about it until the last minute and can't get anything done for it, get bored, or have real life interfere.

As for the IRC Bot, while I didn't join because, as I said, it didn't challenge me, that didn't require a month to do. To be honest, I read the Beej's Networking Socket tutorial and had a basic bot that connected to Freenode, joined my personal channel, said "Hello!", and disconnected all in a matter of few hours.

Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
BHX really if you aren't interested that is fine no one is forcing you to participate.

But it seems like all I have heard you say about this competition idea is "ohh it wont work", "Not enough people are going to participate", "The structure is all wrong" basically just pessimistic comments about it. You are entitled to your opinions and your suggestions but the way it sounds is you don't even want to be part of the competitions so why are you even commenting about it?
I agree with BHXSpecter, one month is too long.

My idea is this; we have a normal competition every month with a deadline of one or two weeks (maybe the community could decide the deadline as well as the project). However, twice per year we would mix it up: one would be an "extended competition", where you have a full month to complete a more complicated project, and the other would be a "race competition", where you only have a weekend, and the first person to have a fully-functioning finished project within the time limit wins (but it's not announced who won until after the deadline for submissions has passed). Or we could run all three competitions in parallel every month so that you could choose each month which one to enter (or even try entering all three), but that could be a lot of administrative work. Unless three people were willing to run one each. I'd run the race competition every month if I was given a website to do it on.
Last edited on
Pages: 123... 5