• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Sunday Decryption Challenge - trivial bu

Sunday Decryption Challenge - trivial but possibly difficult

Just for giggles I thought I would see how long it would take for someone to come up with answer to this.

FTTPHDZIQZTNDBQOERPUKPUKUKTDZFRTYUQUKPFUKTTZBQGPZJGTBQGPZJGTNPBTPFDUIQOYHPZJTYUPWF

Some clues:

It is not a one time code
There is no mathematical formula
There is no random numbers used
It doesn't use any of the normal encryption packages / methods AFAIK
Probably easily broken.
It is not a number base algorithm
It is not a bit shifting or binary operations algorithm
It is really simple
Almost anyone can do it, once they know how!!

Have fun :+)
Last edited on
It doesn't use any of the normal encryption packages / methods AFAIK

Substitution cipher >_>

FTTPHDZIQZTNDBQOERPUKPUKUKTDZFRTYUQUKPFUKTTZBQGPZJGTBQGPZJGTNPBTPFDUIQOYHPZJTYUPWF
SEEIFANYONEVACOUQWITHITHTHEANSWERTOTHISTHEENCODINGDECODINGDEVICEISATYOURFINGERTIPS

I might've messed up some stuff there but...

Shift left 2 on the keyboard, loop to alpha characters.
How the hell did you do that?
@firedraco

Well done ! 8+D Just shows the power of the internet - 2 hours to solve.

Although like maeriden, I am wondering how you realised / knew that is what the methodology was?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Substitution ciphers are one of the most common ones used. It would actually be one of the first I would test by running a frequency test (Like this tool http://vorpal.nebrwesleyan.edu/~mcclung/ciphers.php) and then just fiddle with it for awhile (It becomes apparent after a short while if a substitution cipher wasn't used). The chances are the most common letter would be a E and then T, A and so on. So start replacing them and start seeing if you can get some clear words going. You can also look for common letter combinations in the text also for common words.

I was working on it also and found out it was a subsitution right before firedraco posted it :(.
Last edited on
firedraco wrote:
SEEIFANYONEVACOUQWITHITHTHEANSWERTOTHISTHEENCODINGDECODINGDEVICEISATYOURFINGERTIPS

I might've messed up some stuff there but...
That looks messed up but it's correct - TheIdeasMan??

EDIT: Also, you've inspired me to make my own:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/108377/
Last edited on
Just goes to show I am capable of stuffing anything up. I KNEW that I THOUGHT it was right, and I THOUGHT that I KNEW it was right, but due to a small amount of discombobulation it wasn't!

Hopefully it is right this time.

FTTPHDZIQZTBDZBQXTOWRPUKUKTDZFRTYUQUKPFUKTTZBQGPZJGTBQGPZJGTNPBTPFDUIQOYHPZJTYUPWF
SEEIFANYONECANCOMEUPWITHTHEANSWERTOTHISTHEENCODINGDECODINGDEVICEISATYOURFINGERTIPS

EDIT:

Thanks Zereo - I always look forward to what you have to say - cheers.

Thanks also to L B, for pointing out the error.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.