Zombie infection symptoms.

Pages: 123
A cool zombie would be one that isn't rotting and dead, but is well and alive, just a parasite is controlling it's muscles. (They can't talk for themselves, willingly do work, etc)
Problem is that zombie is synonymous with a corpse. If it is well and alive, then it can't be a corpse. The way getting infected works is it slowly kills you and then your body comes back to life with the most basic primal urge, to feed. If you are controlled by a parasite, you are just a host at that point.
Hm. Well I believe the "zombie" idea is just bad. A well human with a parasite is much, much more realistic.

Hosts are more interesting also. There is no cure for death, so a cure for zombism (made that up) is just dumb.
There are millions of fans that disagree with that statement. Also, you can blow away a zombie without any guilt. If the person is being controlled by a parasite it would be deemed murder and have consequences if you decide to kill rather than cure. Though, that dynamic would add something to the game in terms of choice, but I think the gameplay would suffer if you made them do that for every single enemy in a game.
Okay, what I have: You are traveling to (place) to do (whatever the player wants) when a zombie-like creature attacks and beats you really badly (which is probably rare because zombies are easy to kill so you would already have to be weak), you slowly transform (curing requires a lot of effort but if you can pull it off then you save yourself a lot of trouble), if you transform %100 you lose the game. I was going to add becoming a zombie and continuing until you are cured but no cure could be made up so the idea was totally removed.
Have you seen "28 days later" that is an example of the living zombie idea. And though the movie never shows a cure, it seems there could have been one.
@Manga
They are "zombie like" but the people aren't dead and the virus is incurable. I have 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later (the sequel). Also, the virus doesn't turn them into zombies. The virus causes rage, not a reanimated dead body.
28 Days Later
IMDB wrote:
Four weeks after a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to find sanctuary.
Story from IMDB wrote:

Animal activists invade a laboratory with the intention of releasing chimpanzees that are undergoing experimentation, infected by a virus -a virus that causes rage. The naive activists ignore the pleas of a scientist to keep the cages locked, with disastrous results. Twenty-eight days later, our protagonist, Jim, wakes up from a coma, alone, in an abandoned hospital. He begins to seek out anyone else to find London is deserted, apparently without a living soul. After finding a church, which had become inhabited by zombie like humans intent on his demise, he runs for his life. Selena and Mark rescue him from the horde and bring him up to date on the mass carnage and horror as all of London tore itself apart. This is a tale of survival and ultimately, heroics, with nice subtext about mankind's savage nature.
28 Weeks Later
Story From IMDB wrote:

28 Weeks Later picks up six months after the Rage Virus has decimated the city of London. The US Army has restored order and is repopulating the quarantined city, when a carrier of the Rage Virus enters London and unknowingly re-ignites the spread of the deadly infection and the nightmare begins... again.
http://www.amazon.com/28-Days-Later/dp/B00C4QLIJK/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1377780843&sr=1-1&keywords=28+days+later

28 days later description by Access Hollywood listed on amazon. 28 days later is classified as zombie horror.

wikipedia says zombie sub-genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_Days_Later
Last edited on
From the first link, under product details:
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Also, it is misclassified as it is impossible to be a zombie horror without a zombie. Zombies are corpses that are brought back to life (have been this definition since the 80s). That movie doesn't have reanimated corpses, just a virus that causes rage that makes the people act mindless, but no zombies.
It is called creative license.

Just as vampires were once corpses that came back to drink the blood of the living and turned to dust in sunlight, now they are high school boys falling in love and smell sweet and sparkle in the sunlight.

More to the point... It is a zombie movie if I say it is.

From Alex Garland the writer....
[Article]
Scriptwriter Alex Garland acknowledges several sources as inspiration for his screenplay, notably John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids, George A. Romero's "Dead" trilogy (Night, Dawn and Day) and The Omega Man. Direct homages include Jim waking up in the hospital from The Day of the Triffids, the chained infected being studied from Day of the Dead, and the scene in the grocery store (people in the mall from Dawn of the Dead), the stop for supplies that saw a run-in with infected children (also Dawn of the Dead (1978)), and the military holing up against the plague with outsiders partially to deliberately include females (also Day of the Dead).

Another aspect of rendering the zombie movie more contemporary was the idea that the virus didn't necessarily affect people physically (it doesn't kill them as in traditional zombie movies), but psychologically. Both Alex Garland and Danny Boyle felt that the idea that the virus renders people zombie-like due to uncontrollable rage was a good metaphor for the contemporary phenomenon of social rage (such as road rage, air rage, hospital rage etc). They liked the idea that the virus simply amplifies something already in each and every man and woman, rather than turning them into something entirely Other, as is the traditional route in zombie movies.
[/Article]
Last edited on
Manga wrote:
It is called creative license.

Ah, yes, the title given to those who distort a small part of fact or a norm hoping it will become successful.
Manga wrote:
More to the point... It is a zombie movie if I say it is.

That is good childish reasoning.
Article wrote:
Another aspect of rendering the zombie movie more contemporary was the idea that the virus didn't necessarily affect people physically (it doesn't kill them as in traditional zombie movies), but psychologically. Both Alex Garland and Danny Boyle felt that the idea that the virus renders people zombie-like due to uncontrollable rage was a good metaphor for the contemporary phenomenon of social rage (such as road rage, air rage, hospital rage etc). They liked the idea that the virus simply amplifies something already in each and every man and woman, rather than turning them into something entirely Other, as is the traditional route in zombie movies.

Zombies are acting on "something already in each and every man and woman", the urge to feed.

Etymology says zombie has only meant the following.
1871, of West African origin, originally the name of a snake god, later with meaning "reanimated corpse" in voodoo cult. But perhaps also from Louisiana creole word meaning "phantom, ghost," from Spanish sombra "shade, ghost."

The traditional route take in zombies movies is traditional for the fact that zombies are from the voodoo lore of a reanimated corpse. This has become the accepted norm, not to mention you remove the corpse part of it and you remove the zombie. Psychologically, there are hospitals full of psychologically affected people, but none are dead.
@BHXSpecter

So every official who had anything to do with the movie wants to call it a zombie movie. Your argument needs to be taken up with them.

You say it can't be a zombie movie because the 1871 african's say so? They're dead!

Lets just agree to dissagree, though I am right.

But just to humor you I went to wikipedia.org for a definition of zombie and look at this...

"The term is often figuratively applied to describe a hypnotized person bereft of consciousness and self-awareness, yet ambulant and able to respond to surrounding stimuli."

Now I know that in 28 days later they are not hypnotized, but they would still fit the rest of that definition.
Last edited on
I went to the local AMC Theatre on the west side of town because I know the owner who is a avid movie critic. He writes for our local paper and has a brochure at the theatre entrance where you can get his opinion of movies to help decide what movie to watch. He basically told me to just bow out as he has seen this argument going between the industry and the hardcore fans since its release. Told me the industry blindly calls it a zombie horror movie only because the creator called it that, but that every argument and point we have brought up has been done to death already.

The only thing I hate about the article you posted is that he says they are zombies who are affected psychologically rather than physically. That article means that basically anyone with ADHD, addictions, rage, or other psychological issue/impulse they can't control themselves without help a zombie.

Manga wrote:
You say it can't be a zombie movie because the 1871 african's say so? They're dead!

Need to read your history more, in Africa to this day zombies are still believed to be people who have died and come back to life. Also, it is a mirrored belief in voodoo practices in Louisiana.
@BHXSpecter

The truth is I don't even really care that much. I am just having too much fun arguing with you. :P
I'd say it was more of a debate, me against it being a zombie movie and you for it being a zombie movie. I do think we have exhausted our arguments for and against though without getting into the childish arguments for and against. :P
Laughing!

You caught that too didn't you! I just had no more sites to look up and no more references to quote. I was spent. It was either let it be or propose a duel to the death.
Fight to the death! Test your might! Mortal kombat! Manga, BHXSpector, Lumpkin. Test your might! Fight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA
No, only Manga and BHX.

They know better than to mess with the Lump ;)

It's a joke by the way
Oh, things are getting intense! Finish him and prove your flawless status with superb combat!
Okay, I will have to remove insanity from the game sorry. Lumpkin, because you are a good help, you get to test the first version for bugs when it comes out!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123