Final Fantasy VII or VIII?

Pages: 12
Hi. I was just wondering which of these two classic JRPG's people here like more and why.

Lately I've been itching to play them both again as I haven't played either in many many years and I can hardly remember a thing about them.

From what I do remember, though, I think I like VII more for the environments and VIII more for the combat and junctioning system.
I played 8 and not 7 so I liked 8, 8 was really cool, a university that taught fighting, it was also more stylish than 7, infact its style was really cool...for japan.
Last edited on
8 was the one I had when it first came oout on playstation. I played it for 3 days straight. I never played a game like that in my life, after the third day I came home from school went to go play and found their was no playstation in my room. My mom gave it away as a present to some of our family members who were visiting at the time. I was crushed, if you don't want to go down the same heart broken path as me stay away from the ff series.
Last edited on
FFVII
classic

Man... I must be old. I still see FF7+ as "new school" Final Fantasy.

EDIT:

For what it's worth... Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) is the best FF game ever.
Last edited on
@Disch

Obviously the switch to 3D was new ,but wouldn't you still consider them classics?

I never played FFT but I owned and loved FFT Advance.
I dunno... I never finished any of them. I got to like disc 3 on FF7 then gave up. But that was probably because that was around the time when I was just sort of growing out of RPGs.

Regarding FFTA... I couldn't get into it. It's like they took the idea of FFT but ruined the plot and made it all "kiddie".

If you liked FFTA, you really should give the PSX FFT a go. The plot is incredible... though at times is a little Engrish-y. And of course the gameplay and music are great, as you'd expect.
I liked all the FF games equally. Never really had a favorite out of all of them. Though I wish I had more time and money to play FFXI and finish it.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I'll have to say Final Fantasy Tactics was my favorite out of all of them. Though I also liked Final Fantasy X that was a great story in my opinion.
I would even consider watching all the [important] plot scenes from FFT back to back without playing the game (skipping over the filler "plot" battles, like when you get Boco). I bet there's a youtube video of that somewhere...

EDIT: oh crap... apparently there's a overhaul hack of FFT called "journey of the 5". Might have to check it out.

EDIT: found this playlist of FFT ... but it looks like a full playthrough so you'd have to manually skip the fights and stuff if you just want the plot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZzrHMXIL3A&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLC7940B8E22B5BC77
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
EDIT: oh crap... apparently there's a overhaul hack of FFT called "journey of the 5". Might have to check it out.

Hmm looks interesting.

I would even consider watching all the [important] plot scenes from FFT back to back without playing the game (skipping over the filler "plot" battles, like when you get Boco). I bet there's a youtube video of that somewhere...

I still remember some of the tougher battles in FFT like the battle with Ramza and Wiegraf that was one vs one or the Golgorand Execution Site battle.

I was stuck on those so many times and could have won a bunch of times if my damn steal's would have worked (Those who are familiar with FFT you usually want to steal the bosses equipment since it is some of the best in the game) lol.
Yeah the Ramza/Wiegraf one on one battle is insane. The only way I've ever been able to beat it is by abusing Yell/Accumulate.

The following sequence on the roof is nuts, too. Freaking assassins.
The last final fantasy game I played was 3. Still to this day final fantasy has remained one of my all time favorite game series. I hope, hope, hope I will one day be able to play again. I am looking at FF13-2 on youtube and it looks great.
The last final fantasy game I played was 3.

Seems weird that you can call a series your favorite when you've only played 3 out of ~18 of them. ;P

EDIT: wait... did you mean "last" as in the one you most recently played... or last as in the latest in the series? /EDIT

Also do you mean 3 as in 3 (NES, Onion kids, job system)?
or did you mean 3 as in 6 (SNES, Espers, Kefka, Narshe, Terra, Locke)?

6 was the best one I've played (apart from Tactics). I only briefly touched 3 and never really got into it. 5 was basically "a better 3", and Tactics was basically "a much better 5".

As for the OP's actual question: Play 7. Everyone knows 7 was better than 8.
Last edited on
Zereo wrote:
I'll have to say Final Fantasy Tactics was my favorite out of all of them. Though I also liked Final Fantasy X that was a great story in my opinion.

I never did get Cloud in FFT. Was just too much to mess with and then to get him only at level 1 sucked.
Cloud's only there for completionists and/or deep dungeon go-ers. Really, once you get Orlandu, you basically win.

Meliadoul would have been a lot better if you got her earlier in the game. Guaranteed equipment break = human destroyer.
Too bad most of the bosses aren't human. At least they buffed that skillset in the remake, it actually does more damage if it doesn't break any equipment.
What do you guys think of FF9?

It is the only one I owned but never finished. Back then it didn't seem well liked among fans, but now it seems pretty popular. Some say it goes back to the series' roots(not sure what that means exactly).

I looked up FFT on amazon and it is actually pretty cheap(for some reason I thought it would be super expensive). I'm definitely tempted.
Wow Disch, you know your FF.

But yes the last time I played was as a kid on SNES. I liked the series after playing the first two and number 3 was just that much better. And then sadly had to take a break from video games for like the next 20 years. But the dark ages are over for me now!
What do you guys think of FF9?

I tried really hard to get into it, but this was after I had already sort of "grown out" of JRPGs. I only got about 80% through the first disc. I actually somewhat blame this game for turning me off to the genre.

It definitely has the best media of the PSX games, and is more light-hearted than 7 or 8... but the killer for me was the wait times. Random encounters take like 6 seconds to load up (counting the time it takes for the "you're entering battle" animation, the actual loading, and the camera panning around the battlefield). 6 seconds might not sound like a big deal... but for every fight....

It's actually a good game if you can tolerate the waiting. I just couldn't.

Some say it goes back to the series' roots(not sure what that means exactly).

Yeah that was like some kind of sales buzz or something. I think the only thing it's referring to is that FF9 was more "medieval fantasy" oriented and less "semi-futuristic sci-fi fantasy" oriented like 7 and 8 were.

Though style and plot aside... it definitely plays more like FF7 and FF8 than any of the predecessors.

I looked up FFT on amazon and it is actually pretty cheap(for some reason I thought it would be super expensive). I'm definitely tempted.

Play it. You won't be disappointed. It really is the best in the series (at least through the PSX era -- I haven't played any after FF9 so I can't say). Though be warned it's not exactly a traditional JRPG... it's a battle tactics game (like the Fire Emblem series if you've ever played any of those) but with very heavy RPG elements.

If you're unfamiliar you can find youtube videos of the gameplay.
EDIT: in fact... here's one... first hit for "Final Fantasy Tactics gameplay":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQX1fbRh6XQ
/EDIT

EDIT2: durr.. you already said you played FFTA. So yeah nevermind, you know what to expect. /EDIT2

If you're torn about buying it... you can always just get a PSX emu and download it. But maybe that's against your morals? ;P

Manga wrote:
Wow Disch, you know your FF.

Retro FF was my thing. I grew up on those games. FF1 became my pet project back when I was in the ROM hacking scene. I effectively disassembled the entire game, wrote an editor so people could create their own mods, etc, etc.

I liked the series after playing the first two and number 3 was just that much better.

Yeah FF6 was hands down the best of the NES/SNES era. I'd even say it's the best through the PSX era (minus Tactics, of course). That game got so many things right... and with such a huge cast of characters and a customizable party, there were tons of ways to play.

(Just to clarify as to why I'm saying "6":

FF1 = FF1
FF2 = not released in the US
FF3 = not released in the US
FF4 = "FF2" in the US*
FF5 = not released in the US
FF6 = "FF3" in the US

They finally decided to fix the numbering with FF7.

* though the FF4<->FF2 relationship is more complicated... FF4 was considerably better than the FF2 we got. The game effectively got neutered for the US release.
)
Last edited on
So who is man enough to admit they get emotional over FF games?

I remember a part when (in FF2) our heros got trapped in a room and the walls were comming in on them. The mischievous twins protected the group by turning themselves into stone statues. (Tear) :) Ahh good times.
Pages: 12