The old thread is archived, so I can't post to it anymore:
I've been steadily working on ChessPlusPlus for the past months, which has been quite challenging since for months I've not been able to link the executable for various reasons, only able to compile the source.
Finally though, I've got it working - and surprisingly I didn't need to make that many modifications to fix things I wasn't able to test while coding in the dark.
Here's a screenshot of it:
The bottom queen is selected, and my mouse is hovering over the top-right piece. Filled squares indicate places that piece can move, hollowed squares indicate places that piece can capture. (Some pieces can only move in certain places and only capture in other places - the code is designed around this).
That's about it in terms of functionality - I still need to implement moving the pieces and capturing, and then a few other things (like Castling and whatever rule it is that lets you add queens). But I must say I am extremely happy that this works, after not being able to test the code I've been writing for months until just now.
The official repo (which doesn't match up to what you see in that screenshot) is here:
I recommend using the cmake branch (it's not merged since there are still a couple issues)
My repo (which matches up to what you see in that screenshot) is here:
You can build with CMake and nuwen MinGW 4.8.1, then run the generated executable from the root directory so it knows where to find the res folder (or run it from anywhere else as long as it is in the same directory as the res folder).
As for the code itself, the goal has been modularity. As such, I have a demonstration Archer piece class (but no graphics, configuration, or factory for it). Eventually all logic will be serverside and all rendering will be clientside, but that's a far-off goal.