Youtube Changed Comment System

Pages: 1234
@helios: And that means what exactly, I'm not a fan of hashtags but at least you can read some kind of meaning.
I don't know about you, but I find "thosefeels", far from carrying any actual meaning, barely registers as English text.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
It's an internet meme. I'd figure you guys would figure that out after a few hours of staring at it.
Disch wrote:
His hashtag here expresses something not directly said in his post. Had he typed "I feel strongly about this" instead... would you have considered that a waste of space? It actually takes up more space!

His hashtag was nothing more than a symbol followed by a meaningless sequence of letters to me. I would liken it to code with arbitrary, meaningless short names for variables and/or functions in code. My preference would be to see something both more readable and descriptive, regardless of how much space it takes up.

Albatross wrote:
For the most part I agree, but then again do we really care so much about the signal-to-noise ratio in, say, the Lounge?

The answer is yes for me.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Quick history lesson on memes: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feels

Can we go back to previous discussion?
@Lumpkin
We know what it is. I just politely asked you not to use it. Also, if you're referring to "those feels" by "an internet meme", then you're wrong; the meme is "that feel when <situation>". But again, I politely ask you not to bring it here. This site is one of the few not infected by memes and I'd like it to stay that way, please.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
im going to go anti hashtag on this one. feelings aside if they should be used in this forum, the point of a hashtag is to show what everyone is saying using it, so like if i did a thread/post about a c++11 question and ended with #c++11 then i could see what everyone else had posted using that hashtag. but since admin hasnt implemented a system for this yet i dont think we should use them. (although if twicker were to implement that i think it would be really cool, because then when you post something with a hashtag (that is used correctly) then you might be able to see older posts and learn something new)

edit: @Lumpkin: can you link to the mc debate? im interested to read it
Last edited on
No, I'm not going to link a debate. Maybe I'll PM it to you.

I got jumped by 3 C# fanboys and I'm not planning on replying.
hashtag definition wrote:

Hashtag (on social media sites such as Twitter) a word or phrase preceded by a hash or pound sign (#) and used to identify messages on a specific topic.

That feature has no use in a forum setting as hashtags just do what forums do. You click on the hashtag (say #make_a_muscle) and you get a list of every tweet or post and spam made for that topic. Honestly forums are better because you can have an actual discussion with people rather than just seeing what every Tom, Dick, and Harry has to saw about a topic (not to mention it gets boring fast when you just read through and see random remarks for each tag).

I personally pray twicker is hardcore anti-hashtag.
Chill, it's just a character. It's nothing too serious.

Tom, Dick, and Harry
lol
Lumpkin wrote:
Chill, it's just a character. It's nothing too serious.

You don't even know what a hashtag is? It isn't a character.

This is a hash '#'.
This is a hashtag '#C++11'

We could get into the many names that symbol has:
pound, hash, octothorpe, number sign, square, sharp, etc. :P
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Actually, '#' isn't a sharp sign. This is a sharp sign '♯'. ;p
Lumpkin wrote:
Actually, '#' isn't a sharp sign. This is a sharp sign '♯'. ;p

Being a smartass is one way to make others not like you. That is the same symbol with a font tweak.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
BHXSpecter wrote:
You don't even know what a hashtag is? It isn't a character.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Being a smartass is one way to make others not like you.

Really? I believe you're being hypocritical.
Last edited on
That quote of me isn't being a smartass. I was serious. This whole time he was talking hashtags and thought a hashtag was just '#'.
That is the same symbol with a font tweak.

actually your wrong and fred is right on this one. they arent the same thing bhx.
BHXSpecter wrote:
That quote of me isn't being a smartass. I was serious. This whole time he was talking hashtags and thought a hashtag was just '#'.
You are being a smart aleck.

It's like you never had a typo before.

"That quote of me isn't being a smartass. I was serious. His whole time he was talking sharp signs and thought a sharp sign was '#'."

--------------------------------

It isn't a simple 'font tweak', it's a whole separate character. If you've ever read music, you'd know.

@DTS Help me out a little on the forums pl0x
Last edited on
DTSCode wrote:
actually your wrong and fred is right on this one. they arent the same thing bhx.

Interesting, means I've been misinformed all these years as that is what we were always told in our music classes (at least until they dropped music as a required academic course freshman year of high school). Our music teachers always just told us it was a simple number sign that is tilted a little and called a sharp.

Lumpkin wrote:
If you've ever read music, you'd know.

Read music? I used to write music as a hobby. Have the software, Create Music 5, on my desktop and my Casio CTK-720 ( http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/CASIO+CTK+720.JPG ) that had a USB connection to use with my computer. My hobbies are writing, drawing, music, and programming.
always just told us it was a simple number sign that is tilted a little and called a sharp.
it is, but its still a seperate character. its like how a dollar sign is an S with a vertical line down it. thats what it is, but its still a seperate character
Lumpkin2 wrote:
Okay, it doesn't matter what your music teacher said, it's a separate character.

Yes, I admit, hell has froze over. Lumpkin has finally been right about something.

Now I'm being a smartass.
Pages: 1234