I hate sports and sport culture

Pages: 1234
Watching sports is definitely boring, but add a bit of $ and it might be more interesting. People who work in sports are definitely overpaid, I mean it is basically they are trying to find testosterone fueled brutes to smash into each other and/or run and jump around like madmen.

EDIT
typos
Last edited on
I mean it is basically they are trying to find testosterone fueled brutes to smash into each other and/or run and jump around like madmen.


Really? This seems to be a huge over-generalization. I mean, do you think that is true of golfers, cricket players, snooker players, tennis players, sailors, bowls players, pool players, dart players etc...?
@Mats I think he was directing that sentence toward rugby and football.

I am presently a ref for soccer, and not only does it pay really well (for a 13 year old), but I also get to see soccer being played. It is crazy. It is entertaining because especially the older kids like, beat the total shit out of each other. The way they play it is: *Forget the ball, lets go break the other kid's leg!* My friend is on one of the teams, and he literally warned me prior to the game, "Get those yellow cards ready, because we love fouling" and sure enough, 3 people ended up getting ejected. People just take sports way too seriously. And with chess, golf, cricket, tennis.... Do you ever see anybody in the stands kicking the fuck out of each other, just because the other person said GO <other fighter's team>! Some sports are nice, like the four I just listed. But others, such as football, soccer... they are barbaric. Basketball is pretty bad too now a days... Everytime I watch it (maybe once a year), somebody gets shoved into the hardwood gym floor.
I mean, do you think that is true of golfers, cricket players, snooker players, tennis players, sailors, bowls players, pool players, dart players etc...?

yes. and WoW players
Last edited on
Ispil: You actually are giving me a lot of insight. Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to reply in sections. Some of the things you say I disagree with, but others are interesting to me and are things I haven't thought about.

Ispil wrote:
Human life, as a member of society, is the most soul-crushing and miserable experience possible. The concept of "success" seems to force us to shove true happiness aside in the hopes that it will eventually be reached later. For most of us, it never is reached.


I don't think you're describing society, you're just describing one of the many flaws of capitalism and materialism. It's not like that everywhere. Fortunately for me I live in an artsy-fartsy area in the US that is sort of cut off from mainstream capitalistic "rat race" culture. Life is much more pleasant here, even though the people living here are not as "successful" as people in other areas of the country.

I have been extremely lucky and have never had to shove true happiness aside. Happiness isn't something your pursue... it's something you live. You either live a life that makes you happy or you don't.

If you don't get caught up in being "successful", then being happy isn't as difficult as most people seem to think.

If you think about it, most of us hate our jobs


Another flaw of capitalism. People work too much, and they work jobs they hate.

and are stressed by the collision of societal tendencies and primitive instinct.


I don't identify with that at all. Not even a little bit. Can you give an example of such a collision?

The entertainment industry gives us a way out, in a way. Being able to imagine a life that is actually far more enjoyable (or at least less boring) gives our minds something to ponder when returning to whatever mundane existence we hold.


I guess this does give insight as to why pop culture is the way it is. Why so many people care about tabloids, celebrity relationships, and all that other bullshit.

Sporting culture is just the easiest way to revert to tribal mechanisms ("my team is better. No, my team is better. Wanna fight? *proceed to fight") and distance themselves from reality.


I guess I just don't identify with that. Why would anyone want to fight over something as meaningless as their team being better? Talk about a waste of time and energy. Do people really find happiness in conflict?


Disch, I'd also like to point out that though a single show has pleased you in a decade through the "American entertainment industry" over the past decade, that does not make it shit


It's not shit because I don't like it.
I don't like it because it's shit.

Every show on TV is a re-hash of another show. Last time I saw 'Bravo', the entire network was basically back-to-back "Top Chef" clones (Top Runway, Top Design, Top whatever).

Parks & Recreation is just a 'The Office' knockoff.
'The Office' was just a 'The Office (uk)' knockoff.
<insert blockbuster movie here> was just a <insert last year's blockbuster movie here> knockoff.

Every modern pop band pumps out the same shit. You get your choice of:

- Materialistic, chauvinistic rap bullshit
- Blink182 meets Nickleback style rock
- Justin Beiber or some other identical boy band
- Lady Gaga or some other identical girl band
- Repetitive and worn out dubstep

Those are literally the only 5 genres of music I have heard in pop culture in the last 10 years. It all sounds exactly the same. There is no variety. There is no creativity. It's not art... they're just rehashing a formula that has proven to be profitable. Over and over and over again.

People listen to/watch/buy this stuff because it's been shoved in their face their whole life.


That just makes you picky as all-hell.


I can guarantee that I like a wider variety of media than your average person. I've been fortunate and have been exposed to a lot more than most people.

When you've been exposed to art that's actually good... it opens your eyes as to how bad most of what pop culture sells.

If it were truly shit, it wouldn't exist.


It exists solely because it's profitable. Another flaw of capitalism. Creativity is not rewarded... being able to sell a product is what is rewarded.

We do a lot of things backwards in this country simply because if we were to change them to do them right, it would put entire industries out of business.


And if you mention that it is because they use marketing techniques to suck in people to be dumb saps and watch whatever they crap out and that it is because you pirate everything (spitefully) and only watch a show on Youtube that you are then above such things


I'm not trying to say my tastes are better.

It's like I said above... I've been very lucky to have been exposed to more art than your average person. Most people are exposed to only pop culture.

If that's all you've been exposed to... if it's all you've ever known... then it's going to be what you listen to/watch.

That doesn't make it good.
Last edited on

If it were truly shit, it wouldn't exist.

...
It exists solely because it's profitable. Another flaw of capitalism. Creativity is not rewarded... being able to sell a product is what is rewarded.

Exactly! Call of Duty? Sonic? There are a list of games that people consider 'shit' and they have sequels and spinoffs purely because they sell.
I don't think Lady Gaga falls into the shit category. She's pop, yes, but there is a real brain working there.

Disch, where abouts do you live?

As far as game sequals, if I were to get into game dev, I feel it would be a high honor to do something like create the next Civ ( which is planned for this fall, btw ).
Call of Duty I think is boring as hell,but its clear that people DO enjoy it. Let's not be stubborn about it. People don't get things they knowingly dislike for themselves.
[Lady Gaga]'s pop, yes, but there is a real brain working there.


She's a Madonna/Bjork hybrid, but isn't as good as either.

One of Gaga's biggest hits was a total bite of a hit Madonna song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDSX9vyG20


This is typical of all her work. She takes existing pop songs, rehashes them, and sells them with absurd, over-the-top fashion.

Yes, she has a brain in that she knows the market and knows how to sell music. Which is why she's successful. But her music sucks.

Disch, where abouts do you live?


I won't get into specifics, but I'm in the Pacific northwest.
Last edited on
As far as game sequals, if I were to get into game dev, I feel it would be a high honor to do something like create the next Civ ( which is planned for this fall, btw ).


I'm not sure you can properly compare popular music with popular video games. It's two completely different markets. I mean sure, they are catering to a large extent to the same people, but the two industries are very very different. The ice cream industry also caters to many of the people the video game industry does, but I wouldn't compare those industries.

I don't think Lady Gaga falls into the shit category. She's pop, yes, but there is a real brain working there.


Quite a few people in the pop music industry are quite clever. However, almost every musician I have ever met hates the music they perform and hate or strongly dislike the music that pop composers create. The music is incredibly simplistic and repetitive.
@ Lowest0ne: Regarding Lady Gaga, that kind of thing is what Disch meant when he said:
When you've been exposed to art that's actually good... it opens your eyes as to how bad most of what pop culture sells.

Lady Gaga on her own may not be the same utter waste that some others are but it's all relative. Take all of the things you like about her and stand it all up next to Maria Brink who is someone I never even heard of until a drunken YouTube spree caused me to stumble on the band In This Moment. It's not just that most obvious reason either, she does the whole art direction in her videos so much better the Lady Gaga, her vocals are AMAZING where as Lady Gaga sounds like a talking synthesizer.
Last edited on
I'm in the Pacific northwest.


That's what I would have guessed. I'm from New England, but I'm looking to re-locate and San Fransisco/Portland/Seattle are in my radar. The other night I felt the urge to do something a little more daring, I'm going to start to talk to people about going to South Africa. I know of one opportunity that would have me switching between London and Johannesburg every six months.
Last edited on
To give you guys an idea of what I'm used to... of the kind of diversity I look for...

This is Goldfrapp. I was introduced to them a few years ago, and they quickly became one of my favorite bands ever. They're an electronica band out of the UK... and while they do some dance/poppy stuff, it's not all they do. They're extremely clever, extremely creative, and every album they release is distinctly different. And their music is good.

Lovely Head off their first album Felt Mountain is sort of like trip-hop with a really creepy, almost haunted house feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ggLQckReDk

Twist off their second album Black Cherry is heavy, raunchy electronica... not unlike something you'd expect from Madonna:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_kqK2jErw

Satin Chic off their third album Supernature is like a throwback to the 1950s, but mixed in with modern electronica. This is actually one of my alltime favorite songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GjX9dJdjr0

Cologn Cerrone Houdini off the 4th album Seventh Tree is ... well... I don't even know how to explain it... other than to say it's more on the soft side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77WwztuPSrQ

Alive off the 5th album Head First is a throwback to 80s pop. Almost like a cross between Billy Joel and Olivia Newton John:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5UN6k1NG_4

Ulla off their recent Tales of Us is way more downtempo... with beautiful harmonies and a soothing melody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3VOlnfUTo



I don't expect anyone to actually listen to all of these... but my point is.... this is all from one band. I get more variety from just Goldfrapp than I do all of modern US pop.
Last edited on
Does anyone want to weigh in on whether lady gaga is male of female or a hermaphrodite or something.
Does anyone want to weigh in on whether lady gaga is male of female or a hermaphrodite or something.


She's just an attractive looking woman who wanted money and fame and did what was required to get it.
BHXSpecter wrote:
No it isn't. You said there is a difference between wanting to play and being made to play, but I simply pointed out that a few of the players are where they are now because of being forced either by parents or the need to stay out of jail. I have a friend's son who is going to college on a track scholarship, but he hates track and only doing it because his mom (my friend's wife) is making him do it.
You missed the point.

You said it didn't matter that sports players got paid more than soldiers. Being a soldier is more dangerous, so it isn't tough luck, it is just fact that they should be paid more. Putting your life on the line to protect this country is a million times more important than any sport and should be paid accordingly.
Cool. That's your opinion. Too bad that isn't how the world works.

What I was saying did, in fact, go right over your head.

It truly horrifies me that we hold athletes higher than those who put their lives on the line daily. Athletes are so ungrateful that they have repeatedly went on strike wanting more pay, but when is the last time you heard a soldier striking and refusing to defend the country?
See above.

Maybe when you get older you will understand and rethink ever saying it doesn't matter that they get paid less than athletes.
Due to the irrelevance of my age, your statement further proves that that my post went right over your head.

Once again, re-read my post (and not just a half-a'ed skim either). Would you like me to explain it to you?
_____

It seems as if you're living in a fantasy world. Just because you do something more important than someone else doesn't necessarily mean you reap a better reward.
Last edited on
@Disch
The only reason actors and athletes get paid so much is strikes. If government controlled both it would be different. You can see what happens when actors start thinking they deserve more than the company wants to pay. Haim Saban is notorious for telling all actors that work for him "you can be replaced". Julia Stiles is a good example, she wanted so much to return for a Prince and Me (one of wife's favorite movies) sequel that they simply went with a lesser known who agreed to less money. If we held them lower on the totem pole, who knows, maybe they would stop putting out so many poorly done movies. Though, seems everyone goes on strikes to get more money and get it. The only exception to that is Walmart as they closed down one store because it went union and did something similar to one that had workers strike.


Fredbill wrote:
PE is a class that you're required to take. It's completely different from actually playing a sport because you want to.
Fredbill wrote:
So what if sports people get paid a lot more than soldiers, it doesn't matter. You can't just say that you don't want people to get paid more, and they get5 paid more, it doesn't work like that. Soldiers might be doing something morally better than sports people, but it's just tough luck.
Fredbill wrote:
You missed the point.

My statements were rebuttals to the points made there. The first one is very clear that you are claiming that being forced to play a sport is different than wanting to play a sport. The second one again clearly states it doesn't matter that athletes get more than soldier and then goes on to support your point with two more sentences. Apparently you need to figure out what your point is or re-read your own posts before you post.
Fredbill wrote:
Due to the irrelevance of my age, your statement further proves that that my post went right over your head.

Nor is this irrelevant. You keep commenting on the real world, but at the age of 13, the real world is your home, school, and hanging out with friends.
Fredbill wrote:
It seems as if you're living in a fantasy world. Just because you do something more important than someone else doesn't necessarily mean you reap a better reward.

Fantasy world? No. I just think people need to get their priorities straight.
BHXSpecter wrote:
The second one again clearly states it doesn't matter that athletes get more than soldier and then goes on to support your point with two more sentences. Apparently you need to figure out what your point is or re-read your own posts before you post.
I wrote:
Maybe it's because people don't like watching people get their heads blown off. They like the rush you get from watching sports games. The reason they get paid so much is because so many people watch them, and in turn they get more money from sponsors to place their advertisements on TV.
To expand on the statement since you're clearly incapable of extracting the gist statement from a bit of text (Which you should have started doing in 1st grade, until college. Now that I think of it, it's a life skill, really.), I was saying that it's because people are more involved in watching sports than they are about supporting their country's military. Because of this, big companies want to advertise their new products, so the sponsor the sports industry. In turn, athletes get paid more and more money based on the amount of cash their team is getting paid from their sponsors. (As well as multiple other factors, such as their skill, popularity, etc). No such system exists concerning soldiers fighting for their country.

It doesn't matter how morally wrong it is for athletes who do relatively little to support their way of life get paid a lot more than people who are actively risking their lives on the battlefield. Life's rough, and that's just too bad. It isn't how this world works.

Am I happy about this fact of society? No. Do I want it to have to stay like this? No. Can I do anything about it? No. The same goes for you.
Last edited on
Have you been spending time with Nathan2222 off site because your arguments are starting to look like his by jumping all over the place.

Maybe it's because people don't like watching people get their heads blown off. They like the rush you get from watching sports games. The reason they get paid so much is because so many people watch them, and in turn they get more money from sponsors to place their advertisements on TV.

You are justifying why they get paid more.
So what if sports people get paid a lot more than soldiers, it doesn't matter. You can't just say that you don't want people to get paid more, and they get5 paid more, it doesn't work like that. Soldiers might be doing something morally better than sports people, but it's just tough luck.

Then you say it doesn't matter that they are getting paid more.
I was saying that it's because people are more involved in watching sports than they are about supporting their country's military. Because of this, big companies want to advertise their new products, so the sponsor the sports industry. In turn, athletes get paid more and more money based on the amount of cash their team is getting paid from their sponsors. (As well as multiple other factors, such as their skill, popularity, etc). No such system exists concerning soldiers fighting for their country.

Now you appear to be trying to justify it again and blaming big business at the same time.
I can't even understand what you two are talking about.
Pages: 1234