• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How long have you been programming (hobb

How long have you been programming (hobby or professionally)

Once upon a time, when Cheraphy was a young lad, he wanted to be a writer. He wrote many a short story, riddled with plot holes and bad grammar, but that's ok. He was 10 going on 11. Eventually he had the urge to make a game of his fantasies, so his father bought him a book on Dark Basic and taught him about logic gates. He was hooked immediately. In the 11 years since he has programmed to an almost religious extent.

I am this cheraphy, and I have been programming for half my life. I realized that this morning.
I starting programming at about 14. At least, I was 14 when I joined this forum. I think I'd been trying to learn C++ for a few months before that. It was my first language so it took a long time before I started to really "get" it. I've never put as much effort into anything as I put into learning C++.

I started coding with HTML, CSS and maybe Javascript at about 12 or 13. I think the reason I started learning C++ was because someone on Counter-Strike told me it was the language hackers use. I also wrote a lot of Batch scripts around the same time, but those were exclusively of the annoying ":loop; start notepad.exe; goto loop" variety.
Twenty years. Started in BASIC when I was 13. I've covered my background before so not going to go through it again. I will mention I have been learning Cobol and have set aside resources (books) to learn Ada, Fortran, and Pascal.
I learnt basic C++ about 10 years ago (with the intention to write games), but then took a long break until about 2011. I've looked with mild interest at some other languages in the last few years, python, javascript, HTML, Java for example, but nothing seems as fluid or natural as C++ to me. I guess it's my programming 'mother tongue'.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
I had no interest in programming until after I had taken 2 classes in PASCAL programming in college. They were required for my degree (B.S. Physics).

It was after completing the degree and working as a construction electrician for 5 years that I began to miss using my brain from time to time, and started programming as a hobby. I've been pursuing it casually ever since (about 20 years now). I chose C++ on the recommendation a friend.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I started with Ruby when I was 9 to use with RPG Maker XP/VX and then moved on to C++ when I was 11.
I started with the dodgy batch file thingies, though I would do things like write full quizzes and things in it. Then I decided to learn a 'proper' language, and I had heard of two at the time - C and Java. I picked one at random (I chose C) and then spent a while trying to fiddle around, and sort of got it.

I found, though, that after learning a language I found the process of actually learning a language more fun then programming in the language itself, because I wasn't good enough to do anything personally. I learned Python, then fiddled with a bit of Perl, tried some FORTRAN, did a bit of Visual Basic, basically anything that I could get a compiler/interpreter of.

In the end, I really only still use C++, Python and Lua. If you give me a week I could probably knock something up in one of the other languages, though I just find it easier to do things with the aforementioned 3 languages.

Incidentally, the reason I started programming batch files in the first place was because I like reading, and happened to find the instruction manual for the MS-DOS operating system (can't remember which version, though). I still have no idea as to why I read the whole thing...
I started with c/c++ when I was 10 and kept learning it for about 3 or 4 years also learned a few languages like python, HTML, Javascript and more inbetween but I just took a brief look at them learned the basic but never used them for a project until this year I started learning Haxe which is a very powerful language (probably you should try it) and liked it very much and now I'm learning Haxepunk for game development.

I also played with DOS, few game engines, ruby but didn't even learned the fundamentals.

I also got introduced to this world by a relative who is CS teacher now
Last edited on
I started C++ when I was 20 so about and year and a half ago.C++ was the first real language I ever laid eyes upon.
When I was about 12 I started with BASIC on the C64. That was 23 years ago. (Damn, I'm old)
Since then I took a detour over Pascal, Delphi, Assembly (Z80, PIC-uC, i8088, x86), a couple of minor languages and finally settled with C/C++ about 10 years ago.
Just for some months :D
I started programming when I was about 13 which was 38 years ago.
You're my dad's age. Did you ever hang out on BBS systems in the mid 80s? My dad ran one of the largest in the north east USA.
started 15-16 ish and still learning, before then I used to play video games all the time. Now working on my math's skills, in college. So maybe 5 years. Took 1.5 years to master c/c++ on a level where it was pretty natural. It was very hard though, I learned through my own will and trial and error, no teacher, just forums like these and books, rewiring your brain after age 6, the age where theoretically most neurons are formed. I'm really good at programming though now, which actually isn't the most important part of CS.

Languages/Script I can use:
HTML(X), CSS,
C/C++, Java
Batch

Learning:
Javascript
PHP (might be a outdated goal though)
Other things hardware and semantic wise.

Us old folks are going to be in trouble though, you guys who are still teens are going to be taking my job in 30 years, maybe earlier if quantum computing becomes a thing. Goal is to make a website. I'm still pretty bad at geometric/spatial mathematics (linear algebra) which is bad
since I started to make games as well.

You guys are lucky to have access to a computer and ability to program at a young age. I think I'm the first generation in my family to pursue and eventually graduate in Computer Science or an engineering related profession. The state I live in sucks or at least the public school where I used to go when I was in High School sucks when it comes good teachers.

What will 2050 look like, hmm, if we're all still alive.
Last edited on
Cheraphy, I didn't hang out on BBS systems - I went right to compuserve. I'm in the North East. Send me a PM and tell me who your father is. Maybe I've heard of him - you never know.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I started with a nice new Sinclair ZX8...it's been a while.
Since 2003 with Unreal Script ;) I didn't become a usable programmer until about 2006.
A year and a half almost.

Though I programmed a bit in college (15 years ago) as well.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.