Windows 9 being unveiled on Sept. 30

Pages: 12345
Well, here is a pretty informative
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/windows-9-release-date-beta-preview-start-menu-screenshots

It seems like you put Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 in a blender and mixed them up, then threw in a few graphical changes..
Last edited on
Yeah, according to MS, Windows 10 was "too innovative" for a single digit number, and that they wanted to make it their first double digit Windows.
That's hilarious. I can already imagine the trolling that will happen. "I'm having trouble with Windows 10!" "You should uninstall it and get Windows 9 instead; the odd-numbered Windows are better."
Last edited on
I cannot believe windows 9 is being called windows 10. I... have no words... That is so disappointing... I will only use W7 from MS. Microsoft's gone insane, for real, I swear to god this will be just another flop. But who cares, they have done so many flops, one more won't hurt, right?
Nobody linked the actual article by Microsoft (on their site) but here is the link for anyone who can't find it. http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/30/announcing-windows-10/ I think it looks pretty neat. The multiple desktops is pretty cool one of the features that I liked on nix, the only way to get on windows is to install special programs and aren't as fast.
@giblit it never occurred to me to actually include Microsoft's article. I just googled "Windows 10" and posted what came up... And I agree about the multiple desktop thing, but it seems kind of irrelevant to dual monitor users. The Window style looks... meh. But, I do like the idea of the start menu, not start screen. I will definitely be pinning tiles to the start menu, but it appears that if you pin to many it just plagues your desktop.

The on thing I absolutely hate... hate... is the whole "Windows Store" thing. I do not appreciate Microsoft putting applications exclusively on the store.

Although, as a programmer capable of making a windows app... it may seem like a gold mine. If you've seen the prices on that store, you would agree.

And, 10 will be free to 8 users, but as for us Windows 7 users, it may be like, a 30 dollar price.
That's some Microsoft bullshit right there, ripping us off
-Any ignorant internet dirtbag
Last edited on
Frankly, I hate the tiles. The design of the windows now, with the overlapping flat-edge borders of solid color, look like a try-hard design that I'd rather see on a house than a workspace. I could see the potential in the virtual desktop stuff, but I also see a lot of things that I will either respond apathetically to or dislike outright. "Windows Apps" are silly wastes of money for a desktop (literally anything you can buy exists for free online in some form or another, usually legal). I'll be sticking with 7. Duel-boot with Linux, and I get the best of things I'd want from Windows 10 without the overhead.

Also, the mention of "subscription-based features" mentioned in one of those articles (I forget which) doesn't bode well.
It seems like more IT industries are moving toward a "sell a shell and then individually sell the innards" approach. It's happening with games (DLCs that were originally in the vanilla game, for example), it's happened with phones (what do you think Apps are?), and now it's happening to Windows. At least Apple was a bit more subtle with it by making their stuff only work with their stuff.
If Windows 10 or whatever it's called is $30 for a permanent license key, I will be surprised. This happened last time with Windows 8, people continue to this day to say that Windows 8 isn't expensive when it's still $100 retail. If the upgrade is free, it's easily justifiable but I, again, have doubts.
I like the way it looks but I still don't care for all the touch screen and mobile stuff. One article I read practically implied that keyboard and mouse is on the way out with new generations being brought up on mobile devices.
that keyboard and mouse is on the way

For the average user, I buy it.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
And across this breadth of devices, we are delivering one application platform for our developers. Whether you’re building a game or a line of business application, there will be one way to write a universal app that targets the entire family. There will be one store, one way for applications to be discovered, purchased and updated across all of these devices.
Hmm, I'm not sure I like the sound of that.
^ Is that something different from WinRT?

What I wonder is where win32 fits in this "one OS to rule them all". Of course it's not gone on desktop, but what about mobiles?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I've recently been getting very disillusioned with .net and want to move back to Windows API and COM* (have been looking at Windows Runtime C++ Template Library as well). I have been trying to decided what is the best thing to do and I'm not sure the "there will be one way to write a universal app that targets the entire family" sound like it is where I want to go. It's the 'one way' I don't like the sound of.

Edit:
What I wonder is where win32 fits in this "one OS to rule them all". Of course it's not gone on desktop, but what about mobiles?
That is what I'm wondering.

Edit 2:
Another fly in the ointment is that I still have to support XP in my codebase.

Preview is out, downloading now.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Edit: Surprisingly stable. Been using it for about an hour without any hiccups. It appears that while metro apps are windowed, you cannot have multiple instances open :\

Edit 2: Unmaximizing the facebook app shrinks it to a thin view centered on the post/feed in open that would fit lovely on a phone screen.
Last edited on
Pretty sweet. They finally implemented virtual desktops.
I'm not a fan of unifying the different platforms (PCs, tablets, phones) because I want to use each kind for completely different and unrelated purposes. I don't want a pocket PC or a desktop phone. Tablets for me are in the realm of "why aren't these laptops".
@Cherapy, what computer did you download it on? I would like to download the preview, but I only have the one computer.
It IS an 1000 dollar powerhouse, so I am not worried about power. But, should I download it on my one and only computer?
Pages: 12345