lazy article

Pages: 1... 56789... 15
Isn't it easier to just write a script and cut out the middle man?
Define preachy? like "I don't care about you" or "I talk too much"
The crusades started when some prince somewhere (Turkey? It was around those parts) asked Rome for military help. The Pope said "you know what? We could use some holy war", and so he sent troops to the middle east.
It's something along those lines.

"some prince somewhere" is actually the Byzantine emperor Alexius Comnenus, according to my World History textbook.
Isn't it easier to just write a script and cut out the middle man?

Write what? A shell script? Meh; I like Python. I'm writing a file browser in Python using Tkinter. I had some trouble getting started, having never used Tkinter before, but I'm going now. It might (read: probably (read: definitely)) not work on windows as I used UNIX commands like chdir and getcwd. Probably wouldn't be hard to port though, just change a couple of syscalls...

By preachy, I meant that they tend to disregard other people's beliefs and assert their own as being the most important. I also hate how Christians try to convert people; same as Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, but on a larger scale.
Last edited on
"some prince somewhere" is actually the Byzantine emperor Alexius Comnenus, according to my World History textbook.
It was an emperor? Huh. I thought it was from the Byzantine empire, but I didn't remember it was the emperor.

I like Python.
Fine, but is that any reason to add unnecessary overhead? You're not even doing anything useful with the whole "Python" part. You're just using the interpreter to call the shell.
Fine, but is that any reason to add unnecessary overhead? You're not even doing anything useful with the whole "Python" part. You're just using the interpreter to call the shell.

Good point. I'll write a shell script for that one then.
By preachy, I meant that they tend to disregard other people's beliefs and assert their own as being the most important. I also hate how Christians try to convert people; same as Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, but on a larger scale.

In Christianity, Christian beliefs, morals, etc... are most important above all others. The doctrine is basically that if it's not part of Christianity, well than it isn't Christianity and is therefore against Christianity. The Christian faith isn't supposed to be an all accepting religion in the since that you can believe what you want as long as you hold some sort of moral foundation. For example, homosexuals are not supposed to be welcome in the church leadership, but are accepted in the congregation under the assumption that it is a sin that needs to be forsaken.

As far as trying to convert others, google "The Great Comission." Christians are charged to go forth and make disciples. Mormons & Jehovas Witnesses in suits on bikes shouldn't be compared with Christian discipleship... they are completely different. Nor should they be allowed to trek across town on the main highway! I nearly hit one in my new Camaro the other day! If you are harassed by someone to convert than it's probably some radical pentacostal church. There's just too much division in the religion to tell what's what anymore... a result of accepting beliefs outside of the fundamental doctrines and allowing denominations to go wild.

@helios,
#!/bin/bash

echo Updating package list, please wait...
apt-get update       1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

echo Done. Upgrading old packages, if any...
apt-get upgrade      1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

echo Done. Searching for and installing distribution upgrades, if any...
apt-get dist-upgrade 1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

echo Done. Fixing broken dependancies, if any...
apt-get -f install   1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

echo Done. Removing old packages...
apt-get autoclean    1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

echo ...
apt-get autoremove   1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

echo Done. Exiting...
exit
$ sudo ./apt-get.sh
Updating package list, please wait...
Done. Upgrading old packages, if any...
Done. Searching for and installing distribution upgrades, if any...
Done. Fixing broken dependancies, if any...
Done. Removing old packages...
Done. Exiting...

Better? IO redirection is fun :)
Last edited on
I nearly hit one in my new Camaro the other day!

You'll get em next time, buddy. =]
Wait, where did the rest of my post go?

I said something remarkably similar to what wachtn said, his post reminded me, it was something like
I nearly hit one

Well, work on your aim.

I also said something about Christians preaching or something but I forget what that was.
lol
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Western Christianity can't even get the colour of Jesus's skin correct, why the fuck should you believe anything else they say (and most of them flatly refuse that Jesus was Jewish).
Western Christianity can't even get the colour of Jesus's skin correct, why the fuck should you believe anything else they say (and most of them flatly refuse that Jesus was Jewish).
LOL.

I'd like to add that we also can't even decide whether Saint George was English or not. I have a thought; perhaps he was Georgian? He was from around there, anyway... Most people don't even know he wasn't English.

I feel like doing some more scripts. Anyone got any ideas? I'm trying to think what I do repetetively that I can make the computer do; but I can't think of anything... unless Python can weild real-life objects and do homework for me...

from libhumangenome import * # This is going to be a very large human
import math

Off topic, can you
#include <*.h> ? You'd get one HUGE executable if you could.
Last edited on

Jesus was a jew. Who care what color his skin was!
Of course he was; Christianity is an "offshoot" of Judaism; it's essentialy Judaism - circumcision and some other Jew-stuff like eating Kosher food and what not, + beleiving in Jesus.
Last edited on
Offshoot is the wrong term. Jews follow the Old Testament (and a few other books of law) and Christians follow both the Old & New Testaments (New Testament = Jesus). Jews simply do not believe Jesus was the Messiah that they are waiting for. The seemingly strange rituals that Jews follow can be found in the Old Testament, particularly Leviticus.

some other Jew-stuff like eating Kosher food and what not

Christianity does not follow the "Kosher" law as it was changed in the New Testament by Jesus... thankfully so I can grill up some spicy shrimp and enjoy pulled pork all day long. I have to admit though... the Kosher products usually taste considerably nicer.
I just found this http://www.newartisans.com/2007/09/stateful-directory-scanning-in-python.html
I was trying to improve my method for checking the contents of my trash directory; and I found this.
Someone with the same OCD-ness as me!
I just found this http://www.newartisans.com/2007/09/stateful-directory-scanning-in-python.html
I was trying to improve my method for checking the contents of my trash directory; and I found this.
Someone with the same OCD-ness as me!
I was trying to improve my method for checking the contents of my trash directory;

You have way too much time on your hands :). Is your trash directory really used that much?
Last edited on
Yes! I empty it almost immediately and it's getting irritating.

You have way too much time on your hands

I have this week off of school :) I have alot of time anyway though... Better enjoy it while I can; College and (hopefully) University are next. Then (hopefully) a job...
Pages: 1... 56789... 15