lazy article

Pages: 1... 45678... 15
- delete this -
Last edited on

Nor Gods. I have an intense dislike of religions, particularly christianity, particularly catholocism, most probably because my first school was catholic and for a month I had to stand in the cold during breaks where I blocked the sinks in school because I wanted swimming lessons. I was six years old... Then there was the time they suspected me of throwing rocks through windows. Recently I revisited that memory and worked out who it was who did it... but at the time I could only explain about how the pidgeons looked suspicious...

so you blame God because of that or the school?

Also Why christianity?
Last edited on
Sledgehammers have a similar effect, but different because we're made differently. The end result is simply pain.
And lol@pidgeons
How could I blame god? The basis of religion is blaming things that you don't understand on "god"; so if I blamed god for the school being ridiculous, I'd have to believe in god -> I'd be christian.

Why christianity? They've committed the most crimes in the past 1000 years out of any religion, including Islam. Even Muslims state that they don't consider Al Quaeda and their sympathisers "real" Muslims. The Qu'ran explicitly states not to kill where unnecessary. The majority of Muslims consider the current Jihad unnecessary. Therefore they don't consider Al Quaeda Muslims.

The Taliban are a different matter entirely. The US government has brought the rest of NATO into a war with them because they "harboured Osama Bin Laden". That's a lie; they protected him, yes, and refused to give him up, yes. But they don't care about 9/11 or his silly jihad. They just want their country back. To be honest; I feel more obliged to give them my support than any NATO/UN army.
Yeah, well, Judaism has also committed genocide, only circa 2500 years ago, and the Old Testament explicitly states at some points that should do some pretty nasty things to non-believers. At other points, it encourages you to do slightly less horrible things to people who, say, has a different favorite color.

People are by nature violent, discriminatory, and intolerant of other points of view. Religious dogma just gives them an excuse ("Hey, if God's says it's okay, it's okay").

Why christianity? They've committed the most crimes in the past 1000 years out of any religion
Muslims state that they don't consider Al Quaeda and their sympathisers "real" Muslims
You don't see any hypocrisy on your part in the above statements?
Last edited on
People are by nature violent, discriminatory, and intolerant of other points of view. Religious dogma just gives them an excuse ("Hey, if God's says it's okay, it's okay").

That's what I don't like about religion. It's just another excuse for people to pretend they're better than other people or kill them.

You don't see any hypocrisy on your part in the above statements?

No.
Last edited on
The hypocrisy is that the Christians not doing the killing during those time periods could/might have claimed that the others weren't Christians (if it wasn't for the fact that they would have probably been accused of witchcraft or whatever excuse people in positions of power used to get rid of other people they didn't like). It's all the same. Violence doesn't automatically come from religion, but religion may come from violence as a justification of said violence.
From my limited knowledge, it would appear that christianity has comitted the most crimes in the last millenium then any other religion. The only religion I don't consider stupid is Buddhism.
Don't generalize Christianity. There is Catholicism and Protestant. Both are completely different and Catholicism is VERY far from Christianity now, the drones just don't realize it. The Catholic church was responsible for the Crusades, NOT the Protestant church. And remember the Muslims were on their own holy war as well and killed just as many... still are actually. The big difference between the two was really the ridiculous excuses the church came up with to execute people and twist doctrine to the extreme to control the masses. That has still not changed. I completely understand why people are disgusted with Christianity and it is solely to blame on the Catholic church. I'm not saying that all protestant denominations have not contributed, but lets face it, when Christianity is in the news, what do you see? The pope? The vatican? Priests? Always a referrence to Catholicism.

Have you seen Christians killing people lately? You also need to realize that Christians are actually executed and inprisoned over seas daily... by muslims, in the thousands. I understand why Buddhism is not looked down on because of its peaceful nature.

Muslims have commited the most crimes in the last millenium. The catholic church ranks in second.
Don't forget about Orthodox Christianity, which is more like Catholicism used to be before the middle ages.
The crusades are ALWAYS blamed on Christians but we didn't exactly start it read the history :(
The crusades started when some prince somewhere (Turkey? It was around those parts) asked Rome for military help. The Pope said "you know what? We could use some holy war", and so he sent troops to the middle east.
It's something along those lines.
Don't forget about Orthodox Christianity, which is more like Catholicism used to be before the middle ages.

But that's more Serbs killing everyone else though.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Don't generalize Christianity...Both are completely different and Catholicism is VERY far from Christianity...

But surly Christianity is the generalisation. Though there are many important differences of interpretation and opinion of the Bible on which Christianity is based, Christians share a set of beliefs that they hold as essential to their faith.
Christianity in a nut shell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDHFAsY6rSA
The crusades started when some prince somewhere (Turkey? It was around those parts) asked Rome for military help. The Pope said "you know what? We could use some holy war", and so he sent troops to the middle east.
It's something along those lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades
read this, if you don't get it basically what it says is that the wars were faught over because the Muslims were in the holy land (where Jesus was born and crucified). Originally they would allow us to go in there see where Jesus was born and everything, but then they decided that we couldn't anymore so we had the crusades.

@watchn I can't watch the video because I have no sound :( sorry

Don't generalize Christianity...Both are completely different and Catholicism is VERY far from Christianity...

But surly Christianity is the generalisation. Though there are many important differences of interpretation and opinion of the Bible on which Christianity is based, Christians share a set of beliefs that they hold as essential to their faith.

Some what we are different but there are VERY main differences (idol worship being one) second we do not believe the the pope should have government control what similarities are you looking for?

also I am not catholic so I am not going to defend them
Last edited on
"
the wars were faught over because the Muslims were in the holy land (where Jesus was born and crucified). Originally they would allow us to go in there see where Jesus was born and everything, but then they decided that we couldn't anymore so we had the crusades.
"
Uh... no. The Turkish Muslims took over Jerusalem (legitimately) and were charging Christians money to get into Jerusalem on pilgrims (legitimately) so the pope ordered christendom (that's what they called it) to attack.

Anyway I think we should stop here before this develops into a flame war. It probably won't but I don't like taking chances
Last edited on
I know but I don't enjoy it when people don't like christianity :( also I learned about the crusades long ago memory is running short :( what do you still not like?
Catholicism is VERY far from Christianity
Catholicism WAS very far from Christianity but now is as all other confessions
the wars were faught over because the Muslims were in the holy land (where Jesus was born and crucified). Originally they would allow us to go in there see where Jesus was born and everything, but then they decided that we couldn't anymore so we had the crusades.
As with all wars, there are economic/territorial interests for them. Kings don't spend their money and men just to go sightseeing. For example, the fourth crusade was just a war of Venice against the Eastern Roman empire
It tends to be the "preachy" nature. Most Christians (at least those who I've met) tend to act like they're superior to other religions. It may just be a tendency of the country I live in, however...

Again, on the subject of laziness, I just wrote another two Python scripts:
count.py
http://pastebin.com/m2fddd1e4
Counts the lines, characters and words in source files. Probably doesn't work on windows, but it might. Depends whether os.walk() works on windows, which it should; but that might be a POSIX/UNIX standard function; I don't know.

and also
apt-get.py
import os

print("Updating... please wait...")

os.system("apt-get update")       # Update the package list
os.system("apt-get upgrade")      # Upgrade outdated packages, if any
os.system("apt-get dist-upgrade") # Search for and/ install distribution updates, if any
os.system("apt-get -f install")   # Fix broken dependancies, if any
# Clean the apt folder:
os.system("apt-get autoclean")    # Remove old archive files
os.system("apt-get autoremove")   # Remove all unused packages

print("Done. Exiting...")
# Done, exit.
exit()

This one is very much relevant only to myself; I just have it run at startup to make sure my package manager is totally up to date but not wasting space with old archive files and stuff. It also only works on Debian-based Linuces or anything else that uses apt-get. It would also work with aptitude and synaptic if you changed apt-get to the relevant one.

Oh and it also has to be run with $ sudo python apt-get.py or you get
Updating... please wait...
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the download directory
Done. Exiting...

The output from it ran with root is like 4000 lines of output, so I'm not going to paste that in here.

In fact...
http://pastebin.com/m7dd8878
Last edited on
Pages: 1... 45678... 15