how much to study? :D

Pages: 12
Linear algebra is most important, but basic trigonometry is required in pretty much all 3D games. Just muscle through it.
OMG and I thought it wasn't important...
who said math wasnt important for games?
not maths, trigonometry....
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
Well, it IS helpful to have an understanding of "all" math if you're going into game dev...

Pythagoras may have been a weenie, but pythagorean theorem is pretty much all basic Trigonometry is. Don't forget! When it comes to finding the sin or tan, it's always opp on top! (opposite side divided by hyp. OR opposite side divided by the adjacent side. opp/hyp and opp/adj hence the "opp on top") Nobody's saying you HAVE to memorize the entire table of trigonometric ratios either, but 45 degree triangles are pretty easy. .707 .707 1 ratios. It's also helpful to know your radians and degrees. Advanced Trigonometry should teach you all sorts of tools, though I've only done basic Trig so far so I can't vouch for it.

Half of Trig is basically what you learn in honors 6th grade too, if that helps (assuming you had honors 6th grade). Though, trying to remember middle school classes is probably an even bigger hassle than learning Trigonometry.
Well I know the basic stuff (sin,cos,tan and some handful identities) but the difficult stuffs are hard to learn (read inverse trigonometry)......
I wouldn't say trig is that difficult. Here's how I teach it:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/piazza-resources/i2rt5t8ogh72l/i5ihuqvkl3tfr/Lecture1_Trig_Review_Inverse_Trig_2014_Fall_Calculus_II_Math_141.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJKOQYKAYOBKKVTKQ&Expires=1427790445&Signature=1oIJHKjiwSR8XyHkaVOTsDeepTU%3D

The file is to be viewed full-screen. Here's the homework that goes with the lecture:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/piazza-resources/i2rt5t8ogh72l/i5x8yxzytfdjq/Homework_L1_2015_Spring_Calculus_II_Math_141.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJKOQYKAYOBKKVTKQ&Expires=1427790494&Signature=QoSDROwflms1BZ%2FGR%2Bn92eZdoIY%3D

All problems have an answer key, and some problems are solved. If you can do the homework problems, you are good to go with your trig knowledge. There are still a few tricks I need to prepare problems for, but if you can do that homework, you should be prepared enough to be able to read wikipedia and will no longer need any help.

The lecture is a bit long - I teach it for a total of 2 long or 3 short sessions - however ALL of trigonometry AND inverse trigonometry fits in that single lecture file.
Last edited on
@tition The links dont work :(
Do the links work now? I hadn't turned on visibility of the files for the outside world - my bad.

If it still doesn't work, the links are pointed to from this page:

https://piazza.com/umb/spring2015/m141/resources

You need Lecture 1 and Homework for Lecture 1.
Last edited on
Oh they do now... Great pdf...:D thanxx

EDIT-Full trigonometry is pretty much covered in that pdf... Thanxx again !!!

EDIT 2-Do you have some other stuff like that for physics and chemistry too? The pdf is VERY amazing
Last edited on
Glad you found them useful - I teach only math, no clue about physics or chemistry materials. Can anyone help with those?
Do you have more of those math PDFs other than trig? Man its kinda awesome :D
I would say just hone your skills at C++ like most people have said. It's far better trying to concentrate on a dedicated skill, rather a splash of this and that :)
@tition sir.... The pdf was awesome... I repeat what @TarikNeaj said about more maths PDFs, also while reading the PDF I read about this

eix= cosx + i sinx

I couldn't get that part much....
Last edited on
That part is the most useful one ... forget about the proof: did you get the slide that shows how to use the above formula (called the Euler formula) to derive other trig formulas?
yeah but couldn't grasp much....
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12