we need to stop posting your homework/classwork

Pages: 1234
Well, this... Got interesting quite fast... Lol

By the way I'm new to the forum, I think you're pretty cool Marine.
@Jared199, careful you'll get reported for siding with me it seems.
[EDIT] I responded immaturely, sorry for the bad language.

That seems rather insincere if you're going to leave your unmodified asshattery up.
I don't mind people asking for help; I've done it, and I've helped others. Of course I don't have homework (since I'm not a student), but if someone has made a genuine effort and needs a hand, I see no issue, provided they at least demonstrate that they did make the above effort.

I've only seen two types of "begging" that legitimately piss me off here, and those are:

//Instructions
"Due Thursday kthxseeyathen"

And then there are:

//Instructions
//Half-assed attempt at best, often enough an iostream include and main function
//Someone shows up helping them and provided a solution
"I don't know that I like your solution and I think it could be better."

Those two types are the people that can go straight to hell. The ones that treat it as a dropbox for leaving their assignment so they can come back later and pick it up like we're automated homework solutions, or the ones that are pretty confident your version of the code they couldn't do is substandard, despite not doing it themselves.

It's great that people can come here and get some help/guidance, and the people here are often excellent, knowledgeable, and helpful, and if you can pay it forward, do so, provided it isn't for the above scenarios.
Yes, we all have seen them, but you have veteran members telling you that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. The only one hurt in those exchanges is the OP asking for the solution. You are effectively beating a dead horse as many of us have discussed this in the past and ultimately the same solution comes around; it's not hurting anyone except the OP that isn't trying.

You are also missing the point that not all people coming here for a quick solution are even in a CS or programming degree. There are degrees that have nothing to do with programming, but force students to take a beginner C++ course.

You can find as many examples as you want until you are blue in the face, but the rest of us are still going to tell you it isn't as big a deal as you seem to think it is.
@UK Marine, you'll do nothing, you're acting like you're the Conor Mcgregor of cplusplus.com but you're not, lol.
Last edited on
@WheatFieldOnFire
check this post out. This is the point im talking about. People makes a new account just for their homework and expecting us to do it for them. They did not give us their ideas or what they've done so far. They do not try. If they see a hard thing they just post it for us to see. I mean why should we help them if you didn't even start it yet? Are you expecting to let us experienced ones to do it for you so you could get a good score on assignments? That's sort of cheating to me. I don't want people to fail their classes because they would know NOTHING about c++ and if they have a test they would absolutly fail. The point of assignment/homework is to help you review, it is for YOU to do it so you can review, not a class grade booster or just some things that wastes your time. If you really want to learn and be succesful in c++ then you should stop wasting time HERE and go and actually get started. I'm not saying you should not ask for HELP, you should not ask for the ANSWER. I know people could choose whether to do it for these people or not, but i'm only trying to CONVINCE people to stop doing those.

I really don't see why we need to BAN people just because they are asking for help. I personally wouldn't go onto a forum and ask for someone to do my homework but I think banning people seems extreme. Anyway, the beginners section is always a good way to practise and sharpen your C++ skills.

I don't want people to fail their classes because they would know NOTHING about c++ and if they have a test they would absolutly fail.

That isnt really something you should worry about, if they are not capable of passing a test or are too lazy, then that is their problem, not ours.
@MultiMedia
Then you guys ought to ban UK Marine off this site, he's a highly experienced programmer like yourselves, but unlike you guys, he immediately hand out solutions to people and thus encouraging homework beggars. :p

I think it is unspeakably stupid to ban a regular user of the site because he was helping people out. Isn't the beginners board there to seek help? If UK Marine gets banned from this website for helping people out then this place has some fucked up issues.
I apologize once again for the way I responded to that individual who's trying to get me banned, I read what I wrote and I wasn't happy with my attitude, he really got to me, sorry.
You have a dictator mindset that would do more harm than good to this site.
You are so determined your method is the best solution that you aren't viewing the big picture to see the damage it will cause. Banning beginners who ask for answers will scare off many beginners seeking advice because they won't understand why the others are being banned. Your solution could hurt the site and make the site appear beginner unfriendly.

I don't understand your crusade against these people. They're annoying, but you treat this as a personal insult and an affront to all things good and decent.

It's not that big of a deal. In fact, I'll go one step further and say it's not a deal at all. Is it a little irritating? Sure, but people like myself try to help these people because it simultaneously helps us. It's good practice to keep skills sharp. Someone asks for homework help? I have all kinds of options, and one of them is not to do it. The other is making a decision that it's worth my time and effort, and I benefit from this more than they do. Plus, there's already a system of punishment set up for these people, and it's called tests and exams. They're not going to get around learning the material. If they can't do it, it WILL show itself at some point.

Just let it go.
WheatFieldOnFire wrote:
"Best not to give out plain solution to whoever seeks for it, bbut you MAY help them, not just giving solutions. it will help"

Who are you to decide what the best way to help someone is?
cire wrote:
Who are you to decide what the best way to help someone is?

+1
This thread has gone way too far. Can we all just agree to disagree?
I THOUGHT I MADE IT VERY VERY CLEAR IM ONLY TRYING TO COnVINCE PEOPLE!

Evangelizing is a sure method of obtaining critical feedback.

IT WAS JUST A SUGESSTION! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT! DO YOU HAVE TO JUST COUNTERARGUE ABOUT WHAT I SAY?

How do you figure out if you like something? Isn't it too late not to even look at it by then? Wouldn't it be more productive for someone to say they don't agree and why than pretending this thread doesn't exist because some overly sensitive teenager needs to be mollycoddled?
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT!

Do you mean that if you don't like people posting complete solutions, you should simply not look at them rather than actively suggesting their prevention?

DO YOU HAVE TO JUST COUNTERARGUE ABOUT WHAT I SAY?

If you do have a right to post an opinion, then others have the right to post theirs. If we had just threads with single opinion without any opposition, then an unaware reader could mistakenly think that those opinions are accepted by all.

One part is to have a good, solid idea. The other part is to market the idea to others in a way that the others are willing to listen and then accept. ESR once responded to RMS:
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/shut-up-and-show-them.html

The history has seen both good ideas that were ignored, and truly appalling evil ideas that were adopted to wider use in lack of opposition.
Some of the most appalling events in history were committed because the wrong person managed to convince people their idea/method was the best. Though, this could be more a social justice issue as it sounds like the op is personally offended and therefore wanting it changed on behalf of those who might be offended.

Either way it's a waste because as recent years show, the social justice fighters are starting to get major backlash from the groups they are being offended for and demanding changes for.
WheatFieldOnFire wrote:
If you see a article you dont like do you have to just tell the author that it is wrong? It hurts their feelings. You guys hurt mine too.

No, I wouldn't tell an author they were wrong for authoring a work I disliked (and that isn't what happened here.) On the other hand, if I had a line to someone who authored a work that I disagreed with, especially if that work were meant to persuade me, I might well let him or her know I disagree and, when that happens to me, I'm more appreciative of being exposed to opposing viewpoints that let me refine and/or rethink my own position, rather than feel hurt about it.

The problem isn't the people responding to you, the problem is how you're taking the responses. One of those is under your control.
I must lack the confidence you have to walk in as a rookie to a place and say, "I know you losers have been established for years, but I'm here now, and there's going to be some changes."
Pages: 1234