It it worth backing up before getting a laptop screen repaired

Pages: 123
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
Suppose you were working on a laptop, and then a flask containing a beverage untimely spills it's contents onto the keyboard. The device is no longer functioning, but in theory you could, once the device dries, open up the device and carefully take out the hard drive correct?

(theoretical, I'm not is such dire straits)

And to save to a hard drive, you only, in theory, need two disks. One being used, the other empty/with the latest save?
Last edited on
Given it's not functioning I would dry off any obvious excess/visible 'dampness' and then take it to an expert repairer ASAP.

But there again it depends on what value you place on your data. (Lower value = try and open it up yourself and make the damage worse by more leakage through breaking seals etc.)

If you regularly backup - to separate storage or the cloud then that adds another dimension.

FWIW: I have two portable hard drives that I backup to on (theoretically) alternate fortnight/month basis - moreso when I get around to it. One is stored separately in a completely separate room.

Portable hardisks are pretty cheap so get the biggest (1-3TB) and just save everything accumulatively or if you have a mac use a Time Machine - backups about every 1/2 hour.

Bottom line though - none are perfect - but better than nothing
LIGHTLY shake off the excess moisture and towel dry the exterior as much as possible.

Place the laptop (or other electronic device) into a large bag.

Fill the bag with uncooked rice.

Leave the device in the bag with rice for several days, the longer the better, the rice will absorb most if not all of the liquid.

A HD is sealed so the likelihood of having moisture get inside the seal is almost nil. The drive's connectors might need some work to minimize any possible corrosion that would compromise a good connection.
WD40 is a lubricant and a water-displacing spray.

Over the years I have successfully "resurrected" electronic devices that had been water immersed, fresh and salt water, even after weeks of dunking.

Remove as much water as possible, and then use WD40 on the components.
A bay leaf makes the world of difference to the rice.
If you haven't tried using rice as a desiccant, don't be such a smart ass.

It's cheap and environmentally friendly compared to chemical based desiccants available.
A touch of dessicated coconut goes well with rice too.
Jasmine rice is an excellent choice too. The fragrance of the rice overcomes the unpleasant smell of DW40.
The question now arises how to remove soggy rice and oil mixtures packed around the innards of your laptop.

Perhaps flush the residue out with a nice chardonnay?
Last edited on
Any stuck bay leaf particles are easily removed with a garden blower thus avoiding scratch marks from using a lawn rake.
Of course chardonnay is not the only wine. Any dry white will do. Dry reds are OK but as a last resort because they tend to stain.
Given it's Christmas/New Year - some surplus freshly roasted almonds etc might be just as good as rice in absorbing unwanted fluids.
I guess that means dried fruit would be a no no, Fussy.
WD40 is a lubricant and a water-displacing spray.

I dislike wd. Its good for one thing: as said, it drives water out. Its good at that. It leaves a horrid residue if used as a lube and left to sit for a while. It also is bad about gunk (collecting dust and crap into itself and forming a gel-like sludge that is usually abrasive on the very parts you were trying to protect from abrasion!). It is also poor at freeing up rusted things.

kroil is my favorite for getting things that rusted up loose.
I could have put this up the other day, here is what the NY Times wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/29/smarter-living/what-to-do-if-you-spill-on-your-laptop.html

Sadly bay leaves weren't even considered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/29/smarter-living/what-to-do-if-you-spill-on-your-laptop.html

Sadly bay leaves weren't even considered.

I have a predilection for this forum, I'd prefer asking it matters in the like, over an online article any day. I feel it's inevitable that imminently I will post an enquiry regarding revision advice, but upon scrutinisation, it's difficult to think of a reason to ask a programmer for memorisation advice, syntax isn't arduous.

EDIT: But regardless, a sixth sense knows such a topic would profoundly alter how I study. I suppose it's how it works with 1-1 advice.
Last edited on
The arcane turn of phrase you have Astra obscures your message somewhat.

The point of the article is that any predilection to allow rice or WD40 (or kroil) get near the innards of a fully or partially inundated laptop, especially if it's a $5000 MBPro or similar, is potentially disastrous, or very expensive at least.
Using big words impresses no one, thesaurus man. Doubly so when you try to pull stuff like "scrutinisation".

Here, let me fix that paragraph for you:
I exhibit a predilection for these fora, I'd prefer questioning it in such matters over an electronic journal any diurnal course. I suspect it's inevitable that imminently I will submit an inquiry regarding revision prescription, but upon scrutiny, it's difficult to contemplate a justification to interrogate a programmer for counsel on memorisation, syntax isn't arduous.
Using big words impresses no one
That was as casual as I could make it. There is not a single term in the ponder I would suspect to be beyond your vocabulary.

The arcane turn of phrase you have Astra obscures your message somewhat.
Comical really, the term "arcane" was rather esoteric to myself.

I can't express enough gratitude for your amendatory deed, helios. It's my prerogative to incorporate phrases and terms in the like of your rectification into my casual speech.

Last edited on
やれやれだぜ

There is no reason to use 'scrutinization' over 'scrutiny', at least in that context, if ever.
That was as casual as I could make it.
We already know from your previous threads that you have a proclivity for finding arcane words, so this is a lie.
Last edited on
Pages: 123